Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage offroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Vintage offroad

Ok gang, I went by the turtle track and saw that it is the perfect track for these cars. I am going to put together a group to do and test race there very soon. Before you ask I did a "LOT" of research on these things and ran two very popular series with them a few years ago, just ask anyone that was there.
These cars will be using 540 silver can motors and 6 cell battery's only. No Lipo. You can use any mah you like since each heat and main will be 4 minutes just like the old days.
I will try to find my list of what is legal or not but most of it is still in memory (no old jokes got it!) If you have a question about an old ride you have laying around just ask me and I will give a yes or no answer. Here is a small example of a legal buggy/truck. All Associated cars, buggys, and 4wd's will have an aluminum tub or flat graphite chassis. No composite tubs. See how easy that was. For bonus points try to guess the only car/ truck that can have a composite tub chassis. The winner will get dang little but maybe I'll split a coke or something with them for being so smart. Let's race.

I'll be putting up a list soon on cars and things you can use on them soon.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is my opinion and nothing more that out of all the legal chassis for this class, the gold pan and carbon fiber RC10's are the most competitive. I don't think the Frog will be coming out for this one.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a RC10T. Has the stealth transmission and black chassis. Lady down the street gave it to me. Its older than me lol. Could we use newer esc's like a xl-5?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Brushed yes.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Wish I still had my Hornet from back in the day.

Will my B4 with a Hornet body qualify?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Here are some pictures of it. The original electronics burnt up the first time I used it. It had a 27t AE motor. I even got the box with the manual.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

You probably could get away with a hornet body on a rising fighter.
It's my opinion that it's unfair to run the Tamiya stuff together with the RC10's but if you split them apart then where do the old Ultima's go?
What about scorpions and Schumacher Cats? When you think about it with Mabuchi's on everything it's not so bad. But I would prefer the Hornets and Frogs go in a lower class. I don't we can do that.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have an old LRP v7.1 ESC someone can use if they wish.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Last edited by snoopyrc; 04-14-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Jrx Pro SE now give me my coke. No ice thank you
Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default May just have to come out...

I've been away from racing or running R/C again for 3 years (still build though)...have a stockpile of vintage RC10's though...wouldn't mind dusting one off to race. Unfortunately, sold all my YZ10 gear after the last vintage race I ran about 8 years ago. Won truck with my RC10T (still have it) and 4wd with my YZ10 (see pics). Will there be seperate classes (2wd, 4wd and truck)? Heck, I could realy go old school and drag out an RC10 JG conversion truck.
Attached Thumbnails Vintage offroad-winner_4wd_class.jpg   Vintage offroad-winner_truck_class.jpg   Vintage offroad-race_lineup_1.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

JRX Pro SE. Nope, but dang close. It was the Losi JuniorT truck. It came out about a month before the buggy.One of the gang here has one he ran in the last series and it was very fast with that short wheelbase. Glad to see you guys are up on this stuff.

Doc, don't you remember the classes? It was 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy, truck, and sportsman. Sportsman was all the Tamiya/ Kyosho and other entry level cars with plastic chassis or, it was so stinking old and ill handling(like Clay's class winning Sand scorcher with the pipe frame} it could run with the slow stuff.
g3cubed, I was at that race. Are you the guy that cheated me out of 1st place wth that non- legal Yokomo worlds car? Where's my pistol! That was a killer main we had. My YZ10 was fast but you had the handling on me. Did we not cross the line only one car length between us? That was so much fun. Dig the stuff out and let's have at it again. Schumacher sent me a brand new Procat after that race that is ready for you this time. I still have the Cougar and Shotgun truck also.

31794ty I have the same truck as you. It's never been raced, now's the time. You can use any esc you like and any radio. New rubber can be used on the older rims and new wheels if you need them just make sure they do not make the car wider. A friend of mine found out that new Losi rims will fit old JRX2's perfectly if you put them on backwards and the width is perfect.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome. Do you have a link for the motor we have to run? Can we use bearings instead of the bushing?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

The Tamiya 540 RS which comes with most every Tamiya car out there or, the Johnson 540 That Kyosho uses. Most people just call them silver cans. I wish we could use bearings but that would mean opening the motors which would lead to people cheating almost as much as I do.

I put bearings in a couple of them for fun and man those things would wind up like a slotcar. You could chase down and pass a 27T buggy. Those were the days.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
That was my first rc car (beyond radio shack). I got it for christmas. I was so mad though because the RC10T2 had just come out and that what I really wanted. If memory serves me, there was a little bit of when I found out I hadn't gotten exactly what I wanted.

Anyway, seeing that brought back memories of jumps I made in my yard out of plywood and 2x4's. I did realize people actually raced those? To bad I got rid of it. Maybe I'll hunt one down on ebay and race...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.