Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage offroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know if there is a new rim available that will fit the rear of the RC10 Gold pan that will hold new 2.2 tires? Or if I can find good tires for the old rims that will work as well.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Let me dig around. I think all of the axles that had the pins in them will work up to the team car. There were some 2.2's offered. I think I have a few of them. If you can only find the 2 inch that would still work. Just cut a 2.2 tire down to fit the rim. That's what EVERYBODY did when Dalton first started the indoor offroad, I still have some of those. Use an old tire to see how much to cut then zap them upand race
Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Any idea when were gonna line'em up. I race at TT pretty often but I've yet to hear anything about the vintage race. I'm sure there open to it, got a great group of people out there.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mxrich did you say we can't use lipo packs?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Today would have been a great day to run vintage at TT. It was FREE racing all day you know!!! Come on George. Get those old buggies out to the track making some laps!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 31794ty
Mxrich did you say we can't use lipo packs?
George's original post said NiMh only, but Im currious why somthing like maybe an orion 3200 lipo pack couldn't be considerd? with a 4 min run time other than weight the battery shouldn't give any kind of an advantage. With a run time of only 4 mins NiMh batts should give a bit more punch. its only after the 4 min mark that a lipo shows its advantages over a NiMh pack. And weight can easily be fixed with a few sticky weights on the battery to make it however many grams it needs to be to be on par with NiMh weight.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LMRacing
George's original post said NiMh only, but Im currious why somthing like maybe an orion 3200 lipo pack couldn't be considerd? with a 4 min run time other than weight the battery shouldn't give any kind of an advantage. With a run time of only 4 mins NiMh batts should give a bit more punch. its only after the 4 min mark that a lipo shows its advantages over a NiMh pack. And weight can easily be fixed with a few sticky weights on the battery to make it however many grams it needs to be to be on par with NiMh weight.
I have 5000mah lipos so I don't think weight is going to be a big issue for me. I can kind of agree on the run time thing but with my lack of driving skills it won't make a difference.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
Let me dig around. I think all of the axles that had the pins in them will work up to the team car. There were some 2.2's offered. I think I have a few of them. If you can only find the 2 inch that would still work. Just cut a 2.2 tire down to fit the rim. That's what EVERYBODY did when Dalton first started the indoor offroad, I still have some of those. Use an old tire to see how much to cut then zap them upand race __________________ I park faster than most people drive.
I read somewhere that the B3 rim will work with the correct offset and use the 2.2 tire. I am a bit bummed that the J Concepts rim didn't work.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think there is 3 full sets of original NIP rc10 wheels here at the shop. Got them in a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be for a B4 at least they got the mfr right. I think you can squeeze the new tires down on them. I think thats what I did at Dalton just strap them down tight before you glue them.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LMRacing
I'd disagree on the advantage. I ran 4600's last year against lipo's. The punch advatage fades quickly on the Nimhs. And like you said you'd start adding weight to the lipos. I think Lipo's shouldn't be allowed. I mean it is a vintage class. Nimh's are a dime a dozen. Heck I've got six that are in great shape for, especially for a short race if anyone needs some. Just my .02
Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

I just don't have $50 to spend on a NIMH right now, thats the only reason I asked.

BrentH what brand of batteries are you using?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 31794ty
I just don't have $50 to spend on a NIMH right now, thats the only reason I asked.

BrentH what brand of batteries are you using?
I'll probably be running 3300's due to weight. I've got 4/3300's and 3/4600's all Promatch. This year I bought my first set of lipo's. I've kept the Nimh's in great shape by just making sure I keep a charge in them once a week. I actually ran the 3300's at TT's last year in the 8 minute mains. I felt some drop off around lap five(about 2-3 minutes in).

Whatever you guys decide is fine. As far as picking up some Nimh....alot of guys have them laying around and would lone them out (me included) or give'em to ya. It'll be enough fun just wrenching on my RC10 to get it ready!

If we do go with NiMH, I'll make sure I have all mine cycled and ready to go to help ith any battery needs.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys! My oversite. You can use Nicad or Nmh. The reason for this is that sub-C cells were what they used back then. Just like they did not have brushless motors.You dont "need" to buy a 4300 anything, a 2000 or 2400 is fine and can be found at a low price. Ask turtle to look through his books for some deals. But if you have one use it. If you have two let a bud use one of them. The heats and main are only 4 minutes long, a 1500 mah will do that with power to spare. That's the idea of vintage racing.

Some have mentioned running a BL/LiPo class. That's great, I'm all for it. Let's start here and see if it becomes a regular class, then build on it.

BrentH Keep throwing down on e'm dude! You know the deal.

Now, My work schedule is weird. I would like to be at every race but...you know. You don't need me there all the time to have at it. I would like to find a Saturday race to call everyone to bring stuff to trade If it's ok with Turtle. Gotta keep the boss happy. Of course he may find somethig he can't live without.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
Guys! My oversite. You can use Nicad or Nmh. The reason for this is that sub-C cells were what they used back then. Just like they did not have brushless motors.You dont "need" to buy a 4300 anything, a 2000 or 2400 is fine and can be found at a low price. Ask turtle to look through his books for some deals. But if you have one use it. If you have two let a bud use one of them. The heats and main are only 4 minutes long, a 1500 mah will do that with power to spare. That's the idea of vintage racing.

Some have mentioned running a BL/LiPo class. That's great, I'm all for it. Let's start here and see if it becomes a regular class, then build on it.

BrentH Keep throwing down on e'm dude! You know the deal.

Now, My work schedule is weird. I would like to be at every race but...you know. You don't need me there all the time to have at it. I would like to find a Saturday race to call everyone to bring stuff to trade If it's ok with Turtle. Gotta keep the boss happy. Of course he may find somethig he can't live without.
Im for whatever you guys decide on. I will be cool to just see these cars running some laps again. Lets get a class together and see where it goes. I mean there wasn't a 2wd buggy being run anywhere in GA last year and now look. Could be the next big thing as long as you have fun.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Default We need to set a date.

A date a month or so out. So everyone can get ready and get some vintage on the track. So lets focus on that. I don't see a ton of cars coming out so those of us interested have a focused date to shoot for. Maybe Sat. May 15 or something like that. Suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.