Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Initiate

another question...... I'm full of them........ Does HobbyHangout sell cars and trucks and if so do they stock them or have to order them?? because i would love to become a patron at a place where i am going to race and make friends... lol
Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cubby112
so higher ride hight for rougher terrain and jumps BUT doesent that shorten the spring with the spacer and make it bottom out sooner??
Normally, you will not have that issue. The shock should always bottom out before the spring does. If you have to space a spring that far, it is too short to begin with, so you should be fine.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Initiate

so is there any way to lower it more than just no spacer, or is that as low as they get?

oh yeah thanks shumi
Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

so is there any way to lower it more than just no spacer, or is that as low as they get?

oh yeah thanks shumi

Some cars have the possibility to move the shock to an upper hole on the tower, raising the shock slightly (thus lowering the ride height). Aside from this or changing the spring itself, the only other option I can think of would be if you could use a shorter end on the lower part of the shock itself.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i am not familiar with the rustler but moving youre shocks in and out on the lower control arm helps a little. the spacers are for stiffening and loosening the spring rate. the tighter (more spacers) the higher the car. and oppisite of the less spacers. when you get to the track and get to run swapp them out to see what helps you the most. go ahead and get in a few races. better to learn now then when you are chomping at the bit to race. i have only been doing this for a year or so and everyone i have came into contact has been very helpful so dont be scared to ask.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Initiate

you guys are great. I can tell this is going to be fun.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

oh yeah thanks shumi
Generally, they are designed to go as low as they need to. Once the A-arms go much beyond level, they start losing the geometry that makes the suspension work.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Regional Moderator

oh yeah thanks shumi
Yes there is, but it is usually reserved for those wanting to do speed runs on pavement, etc...

Take apart the shock and install a but of nitro fuel tubing on the shaft inside the shock body. This will limit how far the shock shaft can extend, thus lowering the ride height.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

another question...... I'm full of them........ Does HobbyHangout sell cars and trucks and if so do they stock them or have to order them?? because i would love to become a patron at a place where i am going to race and make friends... lol
yes it has a hobby shop with mostly everything you need.

Did you come out last night?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JustWill75
yes it has a hobby shop with mostly everything you need.

Did you come out last night?
Yeah i was the one in the orange hat asking all the questions. lol
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cptxaggie
Yes there is, but it is usually reserved for those wanting to do speed runs on pavement, etc...

Take apart the shock and install a but of nitro fuel tubing on the shaft inside the shock body. This will limit how far the shock shaft can extend, thus lowering the ride height.
What you are talking about is limiting your shock travel. That is a bit different than just changing the ride height. The spring length is the current limiting factor. Shorter springs would be the normal way to lower the ride height more. If you lowered the ride height by limiting the shock travel, the springs would be pre-compressed and would no longer function normally. Like you said, it would probably only work for straight line driving with no handling.