Search

Asphalt Racing at HobbyTownUSA in Kennesaw - April 11th, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
which ironicaly is a perfect enviroment for a car

Have fun sunday and good luck, would be nice to give a place to play back to the nitro guys if you can do it
couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Stopped into Hobbytown today to pick up some gas and the clerk(s) working R/C had no clue they were semi-hosting an event come sunday.

They had 3 pairs of front nitro tires and that was it. Casual inspection of the rest of the inventory said "parking lot bashing" to me.. which is fine if thats where their market is, but I have to think they should stock at least a modest supply of racing-ish gear, tires at least? pretty sure they'd move them all on the 11th
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Racing?

Originally Posted by curth
Stopped into Hobbytown today to pick up some gas and the clerk(s) working R/C had no clue they were semi-hosting an event come sunday.

They had 3 pairs of front nitro tires and that was it. Casual inspection of the rest of the inventory said "parking lot bashing" to me.. which is fine if thats where their market is, but I have to think they should stock at least a modest supply of racing-ish gear, tires at least? pretty sure they'd move them all on the 11th
Nexus racing is running the racing in conjunction with Hobbytown and the parking lot. They know what they are doing and it IS NOT bashing. Nitro sedans and electric touring.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I wish you guys the best with your parking lot venture, but from my experience, you have your work cut out for you. It may work well for a few weeks, but those new guys will soon get tired of putting up and taking down the track for the serious guys who always seem to vanish into their air conditioned trailers when the time comes to tear down the track. Maybe your region will be different. Again, good luck, I would love to see on road nitro make a comeback.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bighurt98
Nexus racing is running the racing in conjunction with Hobbytown and the parking lot. They know what they are doing and it IS NOT bashing. Nitro sedans and electric touring.
You missed the point of my post which was that Hobbytown has an opportunity to make some sales they seem unable to take advantage of due to insufficient inventory.

Perhaps a shipment is on the way, perhaps they are afraid to take this seriously (maybe they are right) perhaps they just don't think race-parts will be enough of a chunk of their sales to care. Maybe there is no reason at all and no one has thought about it. I was just hoping someone knew, so I could determine whether I had to order consumables (tires/gas/front A-arms ahead of time or could buy them there.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by curth
You missed the point of my post which was that Hobbytown has an opportunity to make some sales they seem unable to take advantage of due to insufficient inventory.

Perhaps a shipment is on the way, perhaps they are afraid to take this seriously (maybe they are right) perhaps they just don't think race-parts will be enough of a chunk of their sales to care. Maybe there is no reason at all and no one has thought about it. I was just hoping someone knew, so I could determine whether I had to order consumables (tires/gas/front A-arms ahead of time or could buy them there.
I can assure you that at one point Hobby Town carried "race-ish" inventory. Mind you, it was many years ago when they had their own indoor track. BUT... They used to stock parts for the TC3, TC4, 12L4, etc... and those parts stayed on the walls for many years. Eventually, about 1 or 2 years ago I think, they blew out their "racing" inventory and started stocking more of the "basher" oriented items. They have already been down the racing road, and it didn't end well for them. I'm sure they learned from that experience and will continue doing what works best for them

Also, the racing side of the hobby is actually quite small im afraid. And even smaller, at least locally, seems to be the onroad portion of things. More often than not, people associate hobby grade RC cars with T-Maxx's, Revos, Rustlers, and Savages. And if they mention Associated, it's usually followed with some story involving a gold chassis Of course, this is all based on my observations, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure Nexus will continue to do their part, as they have for years, to keep onroad RC racing alive and well in Georgia.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Just a thought.....anybody contacted Lee Muse (Winners Circle Hobbies) to see if he's interested in coming out? He will at least have lots of nitro based parts.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man, last time I talked to Lee he seemed really deflated by the whole hobby, and didn't have a single car anymore. I'm almost afraid to call him!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monster95
Man, last time I talked to Lee he seemed really deflated by the whole hobby, and didn't have a single car anymore. I'm almost afraid to call him!
He may be discouraged with the direction onroad racing has taken but he's still in the parts selling business.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

To add to kieths post when we started running Turtle Trax we tried to get them to stock nothing more than a couple sets of B4 wheels and proline Bowties for our guys so they had somewhere local they could pick up a set of tires on there way to the track if they needed to.. They wouldnt, theyd have at least 8 or 9 guys every week ask for a set of tires, and they wouldn't stock them.. thats how TT ended up with a hobby shop last year and why its blown to the proportions it has this year.

We'd like to thank Nexus for helping us get started last year and hope that they do well in this. I love my 4wd off-road cars but I'd love to be able to pick up a world GT car again to race once in a while
Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

well im in for nitro
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Xpress you are such a smarty.... But I have to correct ya! We don't grow corn down here in Georgia! We play in dirt round here!!!! But I realize your not from around here....
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Xpress you are such a smarty.... But I have to correct ya! We don't grow corn down here in Georgia! We play in dirt round here!!!! But I realize your not from around here....
OK then, it's for growing peanuts and cotton. Happy now?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Nexus Racing cannot take all the credits.

The man who has done a lot of work with Bill (HobbyTown owner) is Danny Sawyer.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks to Danny Sawyer and all those who have made this possible.
See you bright and early Sunday morn!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.