Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Road Racing at the Sugerbowl 8-23

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for those shims today Greg. Once I got the chassis, you know, OFF the ground, the thing turned a lot better .Haha.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

welp..... too late... I bought it Monster95. I will probably run it a few times and put it on FleaBay since it is in awesome shape and has a brand new shop installed 2.5r engine on it. Quite honestly, for the price I payed (lets say way south of $100, running and tuned ) I will tear it up just to learn on until I know if I, and the kids for that matter, like the nitro racing. Was good to see everyone today, sorry I had to bolt without saying the goodbyes. Had to go get the car

On a side note.... I have the 2 base coats on the new HPI Porsche GT3 body for it. Should be a fun car to run and learn with.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Eh, it's all good. I got something working with this guy in the buy trade section. THe problem with that 4-tec though, is kinda what I ran into....if you have any problems, no one runs the car. If you need parts, Lee doesn't have them.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

I fully understand the breakdown stuff. My thoughts are that I can learn the nitro side of the world with a very small money investment. If I blow up the engine, who cares! When I smack it into a wall at 50 and break the whloe front end, Ill just strip off the motor and sell it, or keep it as a spare.

Also, Im still sure after running the nitro with my friend, he may be interested in the TC still
Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Hey don't be leaving the Xray NT1 out of this. All the pro level cars have pros and cons. you just need to figure what one you like and go from there.

Alain
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well ,if this makes ya feel better .
I am teaching my boys about nitro - 5 and 7 years old .
The 7 year old has picked it up fairly easy , last weekend was his first time , and he wacked the car in the sweeper corner ,commonly called the money wall .A- Arm destroyed , and he
This weekend he ran a lot more conservative - ( piggy bank empty ) and had a few brushes with the inside rails .
He picked it up fairly quick .
Onroad is a lot me motor friendly , running i a cleaner enviroment , the engine will naturaly last longer .
It was told to me , the most expensive part of or road is the tires .
And that same man has a solution for that .
Mr Lee has supply's a tire for less than $10.00 dollars a pair !!
Anyway , hope to see you really soon .
Greg , Josh , and Eli
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 98SILVERSTANG
Hey don't be leaving the Xray NT1 out of this. All the pro level cars have pros and cons. you just need to figure what one you like and go from there.

Alain
No doupt the Xray is on the list....maybe even the top of the list! However there's no doupt it easily tops the list in price, both the kit and parts!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Rookie

The idea has always been to get the kids involved, as I was into electronics and stuff at a young age and it has served me very well. It was very impressive to me that the 7 yr old was driving the nitro last weekend.

Thanks to everyone for posting the cars to look into, and in the future I am sure that I will be getting into a nice car. In the short term, I wanted to learn on something that I will not cry over when I wreck it or blow it up.... I'm looking forward to learning how to go fast!
Eric
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Nah, you'll be alright driving the course. Just don't full throttle it for a little while. The more difficult thing, I think, at first, is doing set up. I would have never ever been able to get a handle on my car if Lee hadn't suggested a little more toe in, and then the thing handled like a dream. Just ask for set up advice, because, take it from me, if your car is a handful on the track, it can be very frustrating.

Also, Lee has the BEST prices on foam tires, and I will never buy em anywhere else from now on.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool, I was trying to figure out where to get foams for the car. How much is a setup so I can bring some cash next weekend to the track? you can PM me if you don't want to make price public here......

I have a good idea mechanically for setup and it is just going to be a matter of trying a few laps with each setup for dialing it in.

On a side note, I got a good crash course (haha I crack me up!) in repairs already today. I brought the car into work where we have a HUGE empty back lot with all concrete walls and no one to hit. Did a few circles to make sure that everything was still responding and correctly functioning. Ran back and forth a few to warm up the engine, checked temp, turned it around and headed back up the lot and BAM! the throttle stuck wide open, hard right hand turn into the wall and the car shot 8 feet into the air.....

good news is I only broke the axle hub on the right side
Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Geek ,I have up graded the set up i have been using for set up .
I have the set tools i have been using for a long time .
I have the four corner system that you can use for camber and toe in .
Purple anodized . I will have them at the track sunday for sale .
Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Unfortuanently Lee is out of town this weekend, so he won't have any tires for sale. I'm hoping the foams I have now will last me another session. Like Msbeckysboy said, the purple annodized setup deal is the best thing I've used for toe and camber.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

I have some used sets of tires to get you by until Mr Lee gets back .
Do not spend $45.00 at Hobby Town for 2 pair of foams .
Wait for Mr Lee .
I will try to slip off to a freinds house to use his tire truer and scuff up the used foams i have .
They will be fine , the still have a few hundred laps on them
Greg & the boys
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Yup. At Hobby Lobby, a set of foams will run you 40-45 bucks. Lee has 4 foams for 20 bucks even. Hey, BeckysBoy, you know, I think the reason I was dragging the chassis around Sunday, was because I had so much tire wear. I can't believe I didn't think about that.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thats prob true .
There was a time when we would cut our new tires down to 55 millimeters on a tire machine , and run them like that .
Now with the economy , i chose to wear them down to 55 .
Reason being , it was for ride height and gearing .
I guess i just hung around some hard core racing folks .
I need to tell the people that taught me about a cars set up a big thanks .
Though i have not spoken with them for years , I remember every thing i was shown and a big thanks .
Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.