Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NGSNS 4th round pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default NGSNS 4th round pics

Here is the link to the pictures. Because of the weather not as many as normal. Hopefully next time the weather will hold out.

NGSNS 4th Round pictures
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I always come on here to check the smack talk first and then look at your photo's. Great job guys and really good pictures of a Lipo blowing up.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Any idea what caused the LiPO fire? What pack was it that burned up? Hope nobody was injured.

Nice collection of pictures.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
Any idea what caused the LiPO fire? What pack was it that burned up? Hope nobody was injured.

Nice collection of pictures.
I had a little bit of an impact about a half a lap before the fire started, IDK? I figure either a couple cells shifted and shorted or maybe a strap broke and the battery got into the spur or something, who knows?? It was a Turnigy 5s 3000mah from Hobbycity.com. Jeff ran several of there packs w/o issues. No one was hurt thank the Lord!! Check out this link you can see the battery coming apart in mid air right below the yellow object in the background:
http://www.brooksphotodesign.net/Rc%...ic%20(12).html

Last edited by brofroe; 08-02-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

I'm glad nobody was hurt or any major property damage occurred. In the future I would really recommend a LiPO designed for use in cars with a HARD case to prevent damage in the event of an impact. The LiPO you were using is intended for plane/heli applications. These low quality LiPO's aren't designed to handle the abuse dished out by 1/8th off-road racing. I would bet the C-Ratings on these packs are nowhere near 20C. I would guess maybe around 10C if you're lucky. Having the cells exposed while running 1/8th off-road is a disaster waiting to happen.

I know you guys don't run on a ROAR sanctioned track, but you might want to take a look at the ROAR approved LiPO battery packs. They go thru strict testing to insure the pack can handle the abuse and not burst into flames. This would be a good idea for those in charge at the tracks to require packs that are intended for car racing applications so future fires or injuries can be avoided.

Again, very glad nobody was hurt. It could have happened while someone was marshalling the car resulting in some nasty burns to the marshal.

BTW - How did the rest of the electronics in the car come thru the fire?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

I'm glad nobody was hurt or any major property damage occurred. In the future I would really recommend a LiPO designed for use in cars with a HARD case to prevent damage in the event of an impact. The LiPO you were using is intended for plane/heli applications. These low quality LiPO's aren't designed to handle the abuse dished out by 1/8th off-road racing. I would bet the C-Ratings on these packs are nowhere near 20C. I would guess maybe around 10C if you're lucky. Having the cells exposed while running 1/8th off-road is a disaster waiting to happen.

I know you guys don't run on a ROAR sanctioned track, but you might want to take a look at the ROAR approved LiPO battery packs. They go thru strict testing to insure the pack can handle the abuse and not burst into flames. This would be a good idea for those in charge at the tracks to require packs that are intended for car racing applications so future fires or injuries can be avoided.

Again, very glad nobody was hurt. It could have happened while someone was marshalling the car resulting in some nasty burns to the marshal.

The electronics in the car literally exploded resulting in a massive black hole swallowing New Jersey.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Take a lighter to a piece of plastic.....................................What happens, exactly catches fire. It's not protecting nothing. Just another way ROAR can hold there thumb down as a rule by them. Like eric said i've run these packs alot and no problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Oh yeah, very nice pics
Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freeman
Take a lighter to a piece of plastic.....................................What happens, exactly catches fire. It's not protecting nothing. Just another way ROAR can hold there thumb down as a rule by them. Like eric said i've run these packs alot and no problem.
The advantage to the hard case is it protects the cell from contact to sat a spur gear or carbon fiber, aluminum or other conducters. They also have a circuit board in them in case they are dead shorted much like a fusible link.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

The plastic hard case isn't designed to be fire proof. It's there to provide protection to the exposed cells in the event of an impact. It's the impact to the cells that causes damage resulting in fire.

ROAR simply provides a fair and balanced set of guidelines that keep racers and spectators alike safe at the track. Again, it's up to the track to step up and take responsibility if safety is really a concern.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Flying debris went all the way through the back window of that gray Taurus!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

These batts have plenty of punch(C rating). After a 5+ minute hard run it came off the track at 103F-not stressed at all. I've got a friend that nearly burnt his house down with a Losi hardcase, didn't help him any. I'm not oposed to hardcase, it's just since ROAR mandates them the batt companies charge you out the ear for them.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh yeah, the electronics faired well. Just cleaned them all up and ran the main.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brofroe
Oh yeah, the electronics faired well. Just cleaned them all up and ran the main.
That's good news.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Being a plane guy I've smashed more than my fair share of lipo batteries and so have a few of our club members. Never saw a fire due to a crash. I never re-use the smashed packs but instead give them to one of my club members. One pack was so badly mangled I was going to dispose of it, the club member wanted it. He ended up using the pack for another 2 1/2 years and said it was one of the better packs he had ever used.
Can a lipo catch on fire because of an impact?? Yes, but not very often. Most failures are during charging and ESC's that short out.
I personally have used most name brand batteries, now I only use the no-name brands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.