Search

GO-RC On-Road Racing at Lanier Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe_jenkins
no 8th scale?
Bob thinks there will be room for 1/8th scale!!!
later
Jeff
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by D-man
"gota start somewhere" Im all in.
Its deffently somewhere!
Its not overgrown with weeds full of TICKS !
The asphalt is new and Flat !
Portapotty's around !
Poles up for Lights Someday !
Plenty of room for a big race---- Parking--Pitting--Power--Nice !(Raise club money)
Kyosho wants the first Record time !
later
Jeff E
Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Last edited by K_Spec_RC; 09-10-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
Disclaimer: This is strictly my openion, so take it as you will. I am all for racing at a temporary track, but these are my thoughts on a permanent track.

I'm a bit skeptical about the possibility of a permanent facility. MAQMA was "disbanded" about 3-4 years ago and they are just now getting a new track to race at. Before my family left the club(6-7 years ago), they were already talking about getting a track at Lanier. The land that they built the track on used to be part of the parking lot for the speedway. We would need at least as much space as they used for the oval in order to run 1/8th scale cars along with everything else. So the question becomes, where would they put it? So to say that we could turn it in to a permanent facility seems a bit far fetched to me. At least not at Lanier... Road Atlanta, maybe?

Before everyone gets on to me for being negative, hear me out.

It's easy to see why they would be ok building a Quarter Midget track. A lot of Nascar drivers started in quarter midgets, then moved to legends, then to late models and so on... So having the QM track would mean that a driver could move from the very bottom (QM) to the very top class (Late Models) and still stay at the same track. That is a HUGE plus for everyone. Drivers gain exposure, they move up quicker, the track gets to say "Hey! Were there from day one! We knew he was a star!" However, the same cant be said for RC racing. Drivers make a name for them self's by going to big races and doing well. The only "selling point" we have is... Lets build a place for us to play with our toys. We cant really promote anything but RC racing (unless one of the drivers drove full size cars as well, like Donny Lia) It sounds harsh, but thats just how I see it. And again, I'm not trying to bring a negative vibe to the thread as I am on board with racing up there. So please dont take this the wrong way.

The possibility of racing there on a bi monthly basis is great. And if I can, I will come out to race as often as I can. I really miss being up there and would love to have the opportunity to race at the track I practically grew up at.

Bob can you give K_spec_rc a run down on how alot of the our on road tracks got started.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
Disclaimer: This is strictly my openion, so take it as you will. I am all for racing at a temporary track, but these are my thoughts on a permanent track.

I'm a bit skeptical about the possibility of a permanent facility. MAQMA was "disbanded" about 3-4 years ago and they are just now getting a new track to race at. Before my family left the club(6-7 years ago), they were already talking about getting a track at Lanier. The land that they built the track on used to be part of the parking lot for the speedway. We would need at least as much space as they used for the oval in order to run 1/8th scale cars along with everything else. So the question becomes, where would they put it? So to say that we could turn it in to a permanent facility seems a bit far fetched to me. At least not at Lanier... Road Atlanta, maybe?

Before everyone gets on to me for being negative, hear me out.

It's easy to see why they would be ok building a Quarter Midget track. A lot of Nascar drivers started in quarter midgets, then moved to legends, then to late models and so on... So having the QM track would mean that a driver could move from the very bottom (QM) to the very top class (Late Models) and still stay at the same track. That is a HUGE plus for everyone. Drivers gain exposure, they move up quicker, the track gets to say "Hey! Were there from day one! We knew he was a star!" However, the same cant be said for RC racing. Drivers make a name for them self's by going to big races and doing well. The only "selling point" we have is... Lets build a place for us to play with our toys. We cant really promote anything but RC racing (unless one of the drivers drove full size cars as well, like Donny Lia) It sounds harsh, but thats just how I see it. And again, I'm not trying to bring a negative vibe to the thread as I am on board with racing up there. So please dont take this the wrong way.

The possibility of racing there on a bi monthly basis is great. And if I can, I will come out to race as often as I can. I really miss being up there and would love to have the opportunity to race at the track I practically grew up at.
Lanier ownes the land and the (QM) was built by their club !
No cost to lanier speedway!
Same thing for us,free spot to race as we build it up they will build what we need after they see the following this way no-one is betting on a come.
Belive me there is enough room for more asphalt all over the place!
picture is worth a thousand words ! but in person is worth a million !
later
till thurs am
Jeff E
Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default news

o k the first date for racing on the oval and if the road guys can make it happen in time we will race our first race on sat oct 4 2008 gate open at 9 racing starts at 12 no later than 1 roar memberships will be required after this race personal transponders required we may have some to rent ask bob m about this - power is limited- so bring a generator +++ OK NOW I HAVE TO ADRRESS SOMETHING THAT IS BOILING MY BLOOD -- AS BOB SAID DO NOT GET ON HERE AND SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT OVAL RACERS OR GO R/C OR THE TRACK OR ITS CLUB OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT PAST OR PRESENT-- WE HAVE THE CHANCE HERE TO HAVE A FUTURE FOR RACING LETS KEEP IT POSITIVE and have fun
Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bob can you give K_spec_rc a run down on how alot of the our on road tracks got started.
Bob, dont bother "giving me the run down." I'm not really interested. Apparently I dont know what I am talking about, so I'll just retract my statement, make everyone happy and just leave all this alone...

Hope it works out for you guys...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There again is this gonna work. Nothing else has. To far to drive at gas 3.70 a gallon
Old 09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
Went to the meeting last night at the Lanier Sdwy quarter midget track. I was very impressed with what I saw....in fact the more I saw the more excited I got! While this facility is almost perfect for the oval RCer's there is potential for the on-road as well.

There's an area of new and smooth asphalt next to the oval track that's 150'x60'. It's completely fenced in with enough extra area for the drivers stand and pit lane. It's perfect for the 1/10th cars and with the right design would work for the 1/8th. The man in charge says we can paint in our lanes but would have to dismantle the lane boards, as this is a staging area for the racecars. Maybe with a little persuasion we could seal the asphalt for super low tire wear. As is now it would be like the surface of the Bowl.

Anyway I think it's more than worth the try. As for the cost we would split it with the oval guys. More than likely the race fee would have to be $20; at that we would need a minimum of 13 racers to pay this then the rest is profit for the club. There is power and toilets with plenty of pit space.

I know we considered the HobbyTown lot for the exposure, but what scares me is being able to control the spectators around the track. Also setting up the track would be considerably harder at HT. At this Lanier location the outer barrier boards would be able to attach to the existing fence and with the interior lanes painted in it would require far less boards for the lane separation. Everything can be stored there as well.

If we agree to this proposal we need to move on it fast. They want us to have a race there less than two weeks, the weekend of Sept 20/21. We talked about combining oval and on-road on the same day, this is something that needs to be discussed.

We will need a work day this coming weekend, probably Sat and Sun. Also will need the trailer moved from Marietta to there. It'll require a truck capable of pulling as well as stopping it.

Whatever we discuss here needs to done wisely. The owners can monitor this. While we need to discuss the positive we also need to discuss the negative. Let's keep it clean and intelligent.
ROAR membership will be required, no exceptions!

Another good thing is the potential for a future permanent track in this facility.

One more thing: The discussion of the on-road racing needs to be limited to GO-RC members and those wishing to race on-road or oval at this facility. If you have no intention of racing with us at this or any other location please keep your comments to yourself!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nickclark30171
There again is this gonna work. Nothing else has. To far to drive at gas 3.70 a gallon
It won't hurt to try considering the situation we have now. I'm all for it. A new place to race and exposure to new potential racers which we don't have now.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

We need to discuss the negatives as well as the positives.....I believe that K_Spec_RC was weighing the pros and cons without a negative attitude. That is how a discussion works.

To answer his questions (the best I can remember) from what we saw, as Jeff pointed out, there's space to build on. Like he said it needs to be seen. I also know about a dozen ex-RCer's that have gone into areas of full scale racing. This is something the owner brought up: is there the potential for RCer's to make this move. We said "yes". Also as you pointed out, Road Atl. is right across the street. Given that they may possibly see us there racing and decide they would like us on their side of the street. From what I've heard Road Atl. is on a move to expand.

Also this kind of promoting of RC is how the Miami guys started at Homestead Speedway. They went in there set up temp tracks the owner saw that it was good and now they have a permanent track.

The down side to racing at Hobby Town is it would always be temporary. This is a chance to get involved with a real racing community. Without trying we will never know.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nickclark30171
Where do you race that x-ray thats near you ?
When is the next race?
I will come and race where ever there is a Nitro Race !

Cinn Ohio 650-750 miles

Toledo Ohio 725-775 miles

Porter Tx 1100-1200 miles

Ft myers Fla 625-725 miles

Kiss---Fla 575-625 miles

301 Raceway maryland 675-725 miles

and a few others!

I would love to race in Dalton Ga let me know?

I'm Done!

Oh buy the way Mike Designs does some Killer Work !
later
Jeff E
Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Jeff BBQ
Where do you race that x-ray thats near you ?
When is the next race?
I will come and race where ever there is a Nitro Race !

Cinn Ohio 650-750 miles

Toledo Ohio 725-775 miles

Porter Tx 1100-1200 miles

Ft myers Fla 625-725 miles

Kiss---Fla 575-625 miles

301 Raceway maryland 675-725 miles

and a few others!

I would love to race in Dalton Ga let me know?

I'm Done!

Oh buy the way Mike Designs does some Killer Work !
later
Jeff E

Jeff we in FT Myers in 3 1/2 weeks ......... You got ribs
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
It won't hurt to try considering the situation we have now. I'm all for it. A new place to race and exposure to new potential racers which we don't have now.
i'm new if i can ever get a chance to race
Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Jeff we in FT Myers in 3 1/2 weeks ......... You got ribs
Yes on the RIBS just for us Few!
Jim Rice said if i get cought selling RIBS he will kick me out!
So their just for the Group.
later
Jeff E

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.