Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Cooper racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Mini Cooper racing

My other step son is looking at getting into the Mini Cooper class He said he wants to leave off road to his brother. We saw a kit at PT for like $92 on the shelf. Is that what he needs? I talked to Randy Nukem and he showed me 1 on ebay also for alot cheaper but was already over. Is there somewhere I can find the regulations/rules/restrictions for this class so we can start him a car? What is it im looking for to get him going in this class?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Locally we use the Tamiya Cup Series aka TCS rules. Tamiya only parts and the silver can stock motor. The only change to the rules allowed is that you can run any tire and wheel.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/index.php

You can find the rules there. You can start with the basic RTR mini and upgrade over time.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Do you guys follow the batteries allowed rule? edit: Read further lol. But still there just isnt a max battery size rule like in VTA?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

That I don't know. I think Lipo is legal now. Most run basic and fairly cheap stick packs.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

That $92 kit would be great to get him started with, assuming you have the electronics. He won't win with it against Chad, the Clines, and the Sawyers, but he will have tons of fun. And those little things are extremely tough, they hardly ever break and even when they do the replacement parts are cheap and Primetime keeps a pretty good stock.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FordGT40
That $92 kit would be great to get him started with, assuming you have the electronics. He won't win with it against Chad, the Clines, and the Sawyers, but he will have tons of fun. And those little things are extremely tough, they hardly ever break and even when they do the replacement parts are cheap and Primetime keeps a pretty good stock.
And that is mainly because of their driving skill level or set up? I was understanding you coulsnt really "upgrade" these cars
Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Do you guys follow the batteries allowed rule? edit: Read further lol. But still there just isnt a max battery size rule like in VTA?
No battery rule for the simple fact you have to run stick packs (no side by side cells) and the mini has very very limited room for large cells
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shadow102
No battery rule for the simple fact you have to run stick packs (no side by side cells) and the mini has very very limited room for large cells
crap only stick packs? arg i figured we could get away with them 2 sharing batteries awhile lol. thats most the cost in these elctrics lol. o well ok. thanks for the info guys
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
crap only stick packs? arg i figured we could get away with them 2 sharing batteries awhile lol. thats most the cost in these elctrics lol. o well ok. thanks for the info guys
Why not set him up with a VTA since it seems you have more than enough motors and packs to run a second car.

My only problem with mini racing is although fun some can take it too far IE there are people out that that have the ability and know how on tweaking Silver can motors to out perform all other box stock motors
Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shadow102
Why not set him up with a VTA since it seems you have more than enough motors and packs to run a second car.

My only problem with mini racing is although fun some can take it too far IE there are people out that that have the ability and know how on tweaking Silver can motors to out perform all other box stock motors
I might just ask him if he would rather do that. Guess the thought never dawned on me cause he said mini.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
bmr
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

FM,

There is a very specific list of allowed batteries. The only deviation from the TCS rules is for the tires. A clarification ... any tire/wheel that is designed for the mini. No touring car tires are allowed.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Mini it is....so looks like we are in the market for a mini lol. Just had a talk with him and explained the 2 classes and he still wants mini. Id rather him be in what he really wants to be in. He will enjoy it that much more. Just damn it that means more batteries lol....have 11 packs as it is.

What size stick packs is going to be what he needs for the races? biggest stick pack we have is a 1800. but mainly 1500's.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Ok which 1 am i after?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCPW0&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGA44&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTRN3&P=7

Or does it matter?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

It isn't supposed to matter. Most of the fast guys I see run the Rover version with the shorter wheelbase.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You will see all kinds of packs ranging from 2400's on up to the 4200 and even some 4600 packs. Some people seem to opt for the 3300 stick packs from Radio shack. They are only (i think) $25 a piece. Also, Team Orion sells a 2 pack of 3300's for around $60 on tower. But I'm sure Tommy could order them for you and you could save on shipping

As far as a Kit goes, I would look into either the Swift or the 06 Cooper S. The newer kits come with ball bearings instead of bushings for all axles. That way the only other bearing upgrade you might want is for the transmission. Also, if im not mistaken, the newer kits have different style front end pieces. Other than that, they are all the same kit with a different chassis extender in the middle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.