Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Cooper Mania Series at PrimeTime

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
bmr
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sorry gang for stirring up trouble with the lipo post.

In light of Nick's battery explosion on Tuesday, I figured it best to retire the kid's 5 year old taped together 2400's and get something newer. My thought was either buy 4x 3000 packs at around $100, or 1 lipo for $35. Those that know me very well also know that giving up a little performance for the cost savings and longevity of a lipo is a no brainer. The older I get, the thriftier I become. My sponsored RC days are long over!

I brought it up on this forum for discussion, not to start a pissing match or to change the rules. We talked about a lot of things at the meeting that night as far as points, series length, and supporting PrimeTime, but we really didn't talk about rules.

At Primetime it has always been TCS rules with the tire exception.

That would mean any Tamiya mini body is legal as long as it matches the chassis. For the M03 that would be the Rover Cooper, the BMW Cooper, and the Swift are all ok. Remember that these three all have different wheelbases so one would need to change the chassis spacer depending on which body.

My 8 cents worth is below.
Batteries .. 6 cell or equivalent run what you want.
Bodies ... It has no effect. run what you want. (I want to run the Caterpillar!)
Tires .... Any tire designed for the mini.
Aftermarket parts .... If it isn't a gear change or a hopped up motor go for it.

If we are going to allow other bodies great for me. My Rover is coming apart and I have a HPI Civic sitting right here. If not, you all will just have to look at my falling apart Rover a little longer.

My Tamiya plastic shocks are starting to crack around the mounting holes.
I am too cheap to get a set of the TFRs that many of you are running, but man those 3Racing ones sure fit the budget.

Use this forum to get things rolling and then a decisions can be made by those that are there. If the group decides to stay TCS except tires than so be it.

The most important thing is to keep on having fun. I have never heard so many laughs and seen so many smiles at an RC event before. That is what is needed to get new people out, keep current racers coming and to help our hobby to grow.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pawpaw
THUMP were dod you get the pic of coddy
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by bmr

If we are going to allow other bodies great for me. My Rover is coming apart and I have a HPI Civic sitting right here. If not, you all will just have to look at my falling apart Rover a little longer.
lol that was the point of my body question i wanted to possibly run the Hpi civic.

i mean i dont run this class yet so my opinion is kind of moot but i dont see the big deal about running lipo. When i raced electric 3 years ago it was all about the 3300 race nimh cells costing upwards of 120-140 PER PACK. Now we have a generally afordable pretty close match lipo cell that is taking over the hobby. Withing the next couple years i wouldnt doubt nimh will be fased out and all you will have is lipo until the next bigger and better batter choice comes out. Being the mini class this may be the oppertune time to pick up a cheap $35 lipo battery and save up for a cheap lipo charger to get rolling.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

I say a body is a body, run what you want.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

i say.....about one more night like last tues and my mini is gonna be bodyless....naked mini on the loose
Old 03-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like this week night racing is going over LARGE! I've wanted this for a long time and now it's here and I can never make it. I hope to be able to squeeze in at least one or two races before it's over. Mini's are more fun with large 8-10 car fields! Have fun guys...and recruit new people!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bmr
At Primetime it has always been TCS rules with the tire exception.
During the GA Championship Series races we used 100% TCS Rules, NO exceptions!!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

this little points race is just to get people with minis to race together
i dont think it needs to get to sereus about all the politics on rules everyone know what they can an cant do end of subject !
Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pawpaw
SO LETS RACE RECK AND OCCASIONALLY BLOW UP A BATTERY
speaking of ... where is the mad mini bomber......sho has been quiet......must be planning his next target...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

quick question for the experienced guys

i have a johnson motor in my mini now, but purchaced a mabuchi motor from tommy a couple of weeks ago. which of these motors is better if one??
Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shaggy8

which of these motors is better if one??
I'm not an expert, but I run a Johnson motor. I had Keith work his magic on both a Johnson and Mabuchi motor, and installed them in Earl and Cody's minis. They seem to run as well as I do. I think it's just a matter of well you break the motor in. Most of them will run well with proper break in and oiling. The longer you run them, the better they perform. That's just my two cents worth.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy8

i have a johnson motor in my mini now, but purchaced a mabuchi motor from tommy a couple of weeks ago. which of these motors is better if one??
I say its all in the break in.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

After all the shit i started with the lipo? I ran them to night and did not even like it!!!! sorry guys.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Nukem
I almost brought a swift body that I cut to fit my mini a couple weeks ago for the saturday race. Wasnt sure how that would go over, even though we have had swifts racing with the mini's. I couldnt tell any difference, I just like the look.
If Im not mistaken any M chasis car is allowed in the mini class. The swift would qualify and if its just a shell on your car why would it matter?

Although in some of the TCS races you have to stick with the kind of shell that comes on the car. Or at least you cant run a rear wheel drive M chassis with a shell thats usually on a FWD car. (For TCS)
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

why dont you like the lipo ? does it make you crash more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.