Wiki Posts
Search

Might be a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Might be a dumb question

Thinking out loud.............................................. ............................

Is there any reason why we could not run a class that mixes different cars like ALMS and Grand Am does. I would suppose they could be scored separately. Example...Touring Car, LMP1, etc.
This might be a bad idea and a lot of reasons not to do it...but just got to thinking about it when I saw that open cockpit Team Magic car.
I would assume one deciding factor would be car count...but if there were too many cars they could run separately like Grand Am does occassionally with splitting the DP cars into a stand alone event.
This a neat thing about the forums...toss it out there and get some feedback.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default Difficult due to speed differences

Mark,

It is fun for a run what ya brung class and especially for novice racing at times, however the difference in car speeds can be significant. We have done this with touring cars before running both lola body and touring together as they are the same size and pretty much overall speed. However, when you put a 1/8th scale in with a fairly new 1/10 scale driver you can close on someone at nearly twice the speed. I remember my early days of practicing at Indian Trail with my touring car and having a guy named Bounty Hunter punt me 70ft down the back straight with a 1/8th scale. Was not the prettiest sight to say the least!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BryanLynn
Mark,

It is fun for a run what ya brung class and especially for novice racing at times, however the difference in car speeds can be significant. We have done this with touring cars before running both lola body and touring together as they are the same size and pretty much overall speed. However, when you put a 1/8th scale in with a fairly new 1/10 scale driver you can close on someone at nearly twice the speed. I remember my early days of practicing at Indian Trail with my touring car and having a guy named Bounty Hunter punt me 70ft down the back straight with a 1/8th scale. Was not the prettiest sight to say the least!
I wondered about that...closing rates are difficult to judge in real race cars let alone RC. I liked the concept.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BryanLynn
having a guy named Bounty Hunter punt me 70ft down the back straight with a 1/8th scale. Was not the prettiest sight to say the least!
You know I feel for you and at the same time LMAO.

Actually Mark there was once a thread in which we discussed having an endurance race. We were going to run TC and 1/10 pan together and 1/10 F1. There was much debate about how that was an awesome/crappy idea. I think it would work out great.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

awesome/crappy idea

An endurance race does sound cool set up that way.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by genesisG4
awesome/crappy idea

An endurance race does sound cool set up that way.
What I mean is some thought it was a crappy idea some thought it was excellent. I was part of the latter.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by genesisG4
Thinking out loud.............................................. ............................

Is there any reason why we could not run a class that mixes different cars like ALMS and Grand Am does. I would suppose they could be scored separately. Example...Touring Car, LMP1, etc.
This might be a bad idea and a lot of reasons not to do it...but just got to thinking about it when I saw that open cockpit Team Magic car.
I would assume one deciding factor would be car count...but if there were too many cars they could run separately like Grand Am does occassionally with splitting the DP cars into a stand alone event.
This a neat thing about the forums...toss it out there and get some feedback.

I know it works (most of the time) with ALMS, but 1/12th and touring on the same track will be a disaster. Even if the two classes are turning the same times the 1/12 will be faster in the corner and the touring will be faster top speed. You will have 1/12th looking for brakes in the corners to keep from drilling the touring cars and then the touring cars will be running up the back of the 1/12th down the straight. I guess it could work when the lanes are wide enough, but not at any indoor track I have ever been to (more than I can count). Anyone who has been racing for a while, and traveling to Nats etc, can remember how awful open practice used to be before most races went to controlled.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
What I mean is some thought it was a crappy idea some thought it was excellent. I was part of the latter.

I know...both sides of the fence...struck me funny
Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xpress
I know it works (most of the time) with ALMS, but 1/12th and touring on the same track will be a disaster. Even if the two classes are turning the same times the 1/12 will be faster in the corner and the touring will be faster top speed. You will have 1/12th looking for brakes in the corners to keep from drilling the touring cars and then the touring cars will be running up the back of the 1/12th down the straight. I guess it could work when the lanes are wide enough, but not at any indoor track I have ever been to (more than I can count). Anyone who has been racing for a while, and traveling to Nats etc, can remember how awful open practice used to be before most races went to controlled.
I see how it could be a problem...but still sounds good in theory
Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Even if you mixed Touring and Pan cars, I dont think its a good idea to mix scales. I also think the Mini Coopers are slow enough that they should be separate.