Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12/9 & 12/16 Carpet race

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

He has the computer with the new lap counter on it. The one we are using is mine and it has the old version of Autoscor on it. So we use the old one that we know works or wait for the new one and see if it even runs, it didn't the first time out. Or I can go to Nashville and race and you can hand count.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Waltuo, You seem to bitch more than anyone I know. GET A TRASPONDER AND PUT IT IN YOUR CAR LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!!!!!!! Cause I'm sick of your sh#t.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

God forbid I ask 'why'. Chris you need to calm down man.

Handout transponders are fine, but I shouldn't have to explain that it is more convienant to use a personal for those that have one.

You N. GA guys claim to be easy going and laid back but so far, it hasn't seemed that way. I ask 'why' in regards to a couple issues and you guys blow up.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That was calm.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Well, for someone who doesn't like people _itching, post #32 was way out of line.

Last edited by waltuo; 12-12-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

I don't live in GA so back up. If you want to race then race.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rockdog200
...wait for the new one and see if it even runs, it didn't the first time out. ...
What happened? Was it a technical limitation of the computer, i.e. it isn't capable of running the hardware/software because of some reason? Or did the hardware/software simply crash? Or was there not enough time to configure/learn the software?

I remember George saying that he already downloaded/installed Laps Free, so I'm assuming that's what you're referring to by "He has the computer with the new lap counter on it." Or were you referring to new hardware, as in a different AMB decoder?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm home for just a few minutes but here is the deal. I have laps free on my comp. at home, I am getting the comp guy to put it on the one he is building. My receiver will count personals but with the old amb20 program it will ghost count them also. (very bad) The new program should take care of that and even if it does not well, mine still works as is. More people have asked me about running personals so I told him to set it up to use them if it can. Don't panic everyone! It will happen as soon as he gets it to me and I can check it to make sure it does as he says. Gotta go, my two hour break is over so back to the grindstone.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

What do you mean by ghost count?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by waltuo
What do you mean by ghost count?
It counts laps no one is running.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

I'm back. Or it could give someone else on the track extra laps. Now I just got off the phone with the computer dude and here is what he said. I have the amb20 counter using the new decoder. He is installing windows 95 since it is a dosshell program and will run autoscore and the lapsfree. Under lapsfree the amb20 and ambrc are two different "exe" files and it may work under ambrc on it's own. If not he will put amb20 in the background to run with ambrc to count both transponders or, he will do a rewrite to in his words "Force the !!!$#@! to operate" If it works fine. If not that's fine too. Several onroad guys have mentioned it but strange as it may sound I've been getting tons of calls from my offroad guys to hurry and get it ready??? I don't even have an offroad track yet... go figure. Anyhoo, that's what is going on and this guy has worse working hours than I do. I am supposed to pick it up tommorrow or Friday then I will test it asap. In the meantime we have racing to do!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

If you have the AMB20 system, then there isn't much point in pursuing the personal transponders. The big advantage of the AMBrc system (red & white decoder) was that it allowed the use of personal transponders. The AMB20 system (black) doesn't work with the personal transponders.

However, I'm still a little confused because you're referring to AMB20 software, not hardware. Yet, the handout transponders we use are black. Either way AMB20 hardware or software, that may explain the miscounting, i.e. ghost problem, since it wasn't designed with personal transponders in mind.

The AMBrc handout transponders are red, like this:

The AMB20 handout transponders are black, like this:

Laps Free software supports the AMBrc and AMB20 hardware, so it could be your all-in-one holy grail. Thus eliminating your need for Win95 which Microsoft official sunset a few years ago, i.e. you may get better hardware support from a more up-to-date operating system. That is of course assuming that your need for Win95 is based on a requirement by Autoscore. However, you still can't mix the use of AMB20 and AMBrc hardware in the same event.

Here are a couple quotes from AMB's FAQ (available here):
Is the AMBrc system compatible with my AMB20/8800/8300 system?
Unfortunately no. The two systems are built on very different technologies. The new AMBrc system is based on newer digital technology, which makes the Personal Transponders possible. The AMB20/8800/8300 systems use outdated analog technology.

Can a driver use his/her Personal Transponder with my AMB20/8800/8300 system?
No. The older AMB systems cannot understand the newer Personal Transponders. We do offer trade-in value for the older systems to help you upgrade to the AMBrc system.

Last edited by waltuo; 12-13-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

You are right in every detail. I actually have an old 8800 system somewhere. (can't find it but haven't really looked for it ) The red decoder I have, and T/A's in Cleveland has it also on his amb20 system and by golly it ghost counts them also. It would not do that with the black box. He's going to lapsfree since he heard it may count both. The reason for the windows 95 is because it will run both, it has the best chance to make it happen without any imulators or programing problems. All indications are that it will work this way and I hope so. If not I can just use what I have until it just quits. Or maybe have to look to the software and tell everyone use personals. I would hate to do that for many reasons but amb mentioned they were phasing out the rechargables anyway. I hope not. I think it would be hard to get new people racing if they were told they had to buy something that was not a hopup or bling part just to race.