Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > Commercial/Retail Forums > Gearbest.com

Old 09-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Wltoy A969 vs Wltoy A979

So interesting!!!

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_154964.html

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_227254.html

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Recommend new cars to me.
You can get $100/month
Old 09-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Could you leave messages to talk about your feeling when you see this video~~~
thanks,lol

You can get $100/month
Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Do you know the similar interesting video?
If you see it and want to share,you can post in there~
Welcome to share!
thanks

You can get $100/month
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Tech Addict

haha,no one want to answer me~!!!
LOL

You can get $100/month
Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
Tech Addict

bump

You can get $100/month
Old 10-06-2015, 04:35 AM   #6
Tech Addict

nice idea

You can get $100/month
Old 10-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hmm, no replies? How about this ...

We have another RC "cruise missile", this time it is the Wltoys Vortex model A979 . It is a 1/18 scale model of a monster truck.

The car came packed in a semitransparent box. Cut off two fixation tapes from under the car and pull everything out, including accessories. Of course there is a 2.4GHz transmitter, charger (power converter and ballanced charger for Li-Po), a manual and a wheel wrench. Nothing more, nothing less.

The bodywork is made of durable Lexan and it shall represent a normal pick-up truck. However, as it is always with monster trucks - a stock car's bodywork is modified and placed onto an extreme chassis, which is completely unrelated to the bodywork of the original vehicle. In this case, however, the chassis has a relatively low clearance.

When I compare HG P402 (imitating Mercedes G63), Feiyue-03 (representing a desert buggy) and Vortex-A979 , I'm not exactly sure what was the original vehicle supposed to be. I certainly haven't seen in reality anything quite like it yet. However, one can't deny a certain elegance and attractive appearance of the Vortex-A979 .

The body needs to be taken off to get to the battery, chassis and other components. The body is held by four clips, which are very rigid at least on my Vortex-A979 . I need to use tools to pull them off. On the HG P402 the clips are much easier to pull off without piercing the fingers . The bodywork itself is very light. During recording of the video I needed just a little amount of "magic mana" to cast a correct spell to make the bodywork levitate above the chassis . It was easy, not like lifting a 9 ton truck .

Fortunately, you do not need to take off the body at every opportunity. With just a little bit of skill you can get to the master switch, as well as to the charging connector of the battery without removing the body at all.

The chassis has independent wheels suspension with coil springs. The rear axle's springs have added washers to make them tougher, which should result in a more oversteer behavior under power (yeah, better drifting! ). Suspension arms on all wheels are made of plastic and they are visibly flexing and bending during springing action.

The connecting shaft between the axles is plastic (to partially eliminate stress due to cornering, because Vortex-A979 has no center differential), but all half-axles are made of metal shafts as well as the joints in the wheels. Both axles have an open differential.

Chassis design gives the car great stability when cornering. The approach and departure angles are almost 90 degrees, the car can climb to an almost vertical wall.

The tyres are made of very soft rubber with a strong off-road pattern. They stick very well to the ground and happily make rubber lines on the floor on every wheel-spin occasion .

The car has a relatively large turning radius - which is good for fast driving, it could be easier than with Feiyue-03 . The servo behaves very well and smoothly.

As you will see in detail in the video, the pinion gear on the motor is made of brass metal, sprocket on the drive shaft between the axles is plastic. Again, this would probably not be a problem to 3D-print a spare one from ABS or PET if needed. So far so good, all plastic gears hold on all my cars. If you loosen the bottom screw holding the gear housing, pay attention to the electric motor's magnet. Magnetic field will catch the screw and hide it beneath the motor and it does not want to come out .

The motor is expected to get a really hard time on the track, so it is fitted with a passive aluminum heatsink . Vortex-A979 is incredibly fast, even so that the wheels can generate lift, almost causing the car to fly, as you can see at the end of the video. Please note, that it was not a trick - the thing was literaly about to take off. I'd rather instinctively throttled back and began to pray so that it doesn't fly out the window .

Waterproof?

An interesting question is "waterproof-ness". On the GearBest's web site, I saw a note that the car IS waterproof. That must have been a typo, because definitely no submarine can be made of this car. The ESC and motor are almost on the frontline when it comes to wading. I'm certainly not planning to do my popular diving experiments, at least until I prepare a video of the test drives. But showering could be theoretically possible, as well as driving on wet roads. Yet the manual warned against the use of the car in any wet environments, and especially near water areas. When I imagine how the water wave went through the whole Feiyue-03 ... ouch .

Transmitter

The transmitter needs to be fed with your own four AA cells as usually. By the way, the four AA cells seen in my videos are the same, I just swap them among transmitters.

A little warning - unlike previous cars, this one came with the master switch in the off position. The switch is clearly marked on the ESC. So remember to check the switch when you turn on the radio, plug the car battery and still nothing happens. Also, the car does not like when you turn on the car before turning on the transmitter. They won't talk to each other. You must turn on the radio first and then the car.

Battery

The battery is a 7.4V Li-Po with a capacity of 1.1Ah. It is equipped with a special connector I haven't seen at any RC model yet. The manual states, that the car will run for at least 10 minutes, which is quite short. However, slow and short drives during recording of the video took at least 30 minutes and the battery was still fine. We'll see how this thing behaves under load on a model circuit. Of course, there is a big difference in energy consumption between slow and full-throttle driving.

There is one more possibility how to solve low battery capacity. Under the bodywork, there is sufficient space for mounting a classic six-cell NiMH battery. Although that would significantly increase the weight of the entire vehicle, it would also greatly improve its operating range. I just need to design and 3D-print some mounts and possibly fit stiffer coil springs.

Battery charger has two LEDs - the green one means "powered", the red one means "charging". When the red LED goes off, the charger is satisfied with its work and considers the battery charged. I like this design more than by the Feiyue-03 charger, where one needs to examine the color of its dual-color LED.

What kind of terrain is the vehicle intended for?

The manual says that the car manages to drive well on hard surfaces, sand and grass land. This is due to the fact that the car has a low ground clearance, it would have difficulties overcoming rough bumps. Moreover, open differentials and fast gear ratio virtually eliminate any slow and precise rock crawling possibility. On the contrary, the car is well suited for asphalt and flat solid surfaces. It is an autocross or rally special with enhanced stability.

If it is to run 50 km/h as stated on the box, I was expecting absolutely precise steering and axle geometry. Therefore, I was very surprised with manufacturing inaccuracies on the chassis. It is the worst manufactured car of all 3 RC toys I have here. There is a considerable amount of loosenes both in steering (virtually all of the joints) and in suspension, all can be clearly seen in the video. Moreover, there are significant eccentricities of rotating parts e.g. joint axle driveshafts. I wonder how these manufacturing inaccuracies will affect the behavior of the car while driving. But we'll see after first road tests.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Nice unboxing review~
I want to know how to make the fantastic video,especially the car put out automatically...
I think it is so interesting when I see the scene.

You can get $100/month
Old 10-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbest1 View Post
Nice unboxing review~
Thank you, I'm glad you like the video and review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbest1 View Post
I want to know how to make the fantastic video, especially the car put out automatically...
that's my secret magic . It requires a little bit of "magic mana" and a lot of time to record and process (13 hours in this case).