Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Backyard track project for offroad mini scale

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Backyard track project for offroad mini scale

I'm clearing some bush to make a small 24 x 57ft track with 6ft lanes. The ground is typical of central Florida, sand with about 2 inches of roots and organic material on top.

Once I strip the organic layer, I want to fill the depression with limestone screening and compact it for weed resistance, with about a 1% grade to help maintain the property's normal drainage pattern. Then, put down a top layer of red clay for the track surface.

The plan for the track outline is 3" flexible drain pipe (Corex or similar), nailed through the clay into the limestone layer, when within reach.

As a first time track builder, I'm wondering how thick my material layers should be, or if these choices of materials should be something different entirely.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

With the large variety of mini offroad scales to choose from would this track cater more towards 1/18 scale or 1/14 scale. I have always wanted a reason to purchase a Losi 8ight mini t truggy truck
Old 12-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Keith B
With the large variety of mini offroad scales to choose from would this track cater more towards 1/18 scale or 1/14 scale. I have always wanted a reason to purchase a Losi 8ight mini t truggy truck
Now let's not do anything rash!

This, hopefully, is going to be adequate for 1/14 scale since Mini 8ight T's are what I have to run on it. The intention is to create a good flow for the 8ight-T on Lipo, but who knows it might just suck.

Completion is a long ways off. I put in about 20 hours of hard labor so far and I think I'd be lucky if I have a quarter of the bush clearing done. There's more roots and vines than anticipated.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

The original thought was to make a 24 x 30 sized track. But layout sketches were disappointing. Either they were too simple or they looked like one ugly big patch of mud.

Upon doubling the width, it immediately became clear how much more interesting the layouts could be. The wide track attachment is my favorite sketch so far, but I can't use it because of some trees that will be in the way. In any case, it's obvious the track has to be larger than 24 x 30.

I'm trying to maintain a forest canopy to keep the track hidden from satellite mapping. That's why there'll be a few trees to contend with. Once the land clearing is finished, accurate measurements for the exact positions of trees can done and then the final layout for the track can be sketched accordingly. I can hardly wait; sketching layouts is challenging but enjoyable.

Attached Thumbnails Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-dirt-track1.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-dirt-track2.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-dirt-track4.jpg  

Last edited by OtterRotate; 01-17-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added track pic
Old 01-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Bush clearing by hand is keeping the project within budget, but there's a lot of hard labor and the weeks keep ticking by.

The weather hasn't been cooperating, but at least it's been cool. Once summer comes, it's like working in an oven.

At this point, I'm removing stumps and roots from the cleared area. It doesn't look like much is happening, but it is.

How it looked to begin with

Bundles of brush.

New space! Found a couple of pineapple plants; not yet sure what to do with them.
Attached Thumbnails Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-img_5747_500.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-img_5690_500.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-img_5769_500.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OtterRotate
Bush clearing by hand is keeping the project within budget, but there's a lot of hard labor and the weeks keep ticking by.

The weather hasn't been cooperating, but at least it's been cool. Once summer comes, it's like working in an oven.

At this point, I'm removing stumps and roots from the cleared area. It doesn't look like much is happening, but it is.

How it looked to begin with

Bundles of brush.

New space! Found a couple of pineapple plants; not yet sure what to do with them.
With the weather being cloudy and damp that will help with the loosening of stubborn roots and of vines
Old 03-18-2016, 03:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Clearing continues and the planned area has expanded a bit. 74 hours have been put into it so far.

I talked to a former track owner who had an opinion about how to secure the drain pipe borders.

A common securing method is to drive a long spike through the pipe and into the ground. His objection to this method was that he saw cars suffer damage when they impacted the barrier near a spike.

An alternative method is to wire wrap the pipe to a spike or lag bolt that is driven directly into the ground. The pipe has more flex at the attachment points and the spikes penetrate deeper into the ground because 3 or 4 inches aren't wasted within the pipe.

I think the downside to wire wrapping the pipe is going to be extra effort in installation, especially if it's going to look OK with wire ends tucked in.

A wired 8" landscaping spike/lag bolt would go as deep as a 12" with 4" pipe; almost as deep with 3" pipe (as illustrated).
Attached Thumbnails Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-drain-pipe-spikes_web.jpg  

Last edited by OtterRotate; 03-18-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Initiate

It took a while, but clearing is finished.

As mentioned before, this was supposed to be a 24x30 area but it ended up being the better part of 30x80. As a result, I cleared by hand what should have been done with machine right from the start. No way would I do that again. But hey, my arms are pretty pumped up; even my boss noticed.

I hired a tree service to take down a big tree and grind seven or eight stumps.

Beyond the track area, the property line also had to be cleared so I could stretch a line to help survey the area and map out the tree positions. Seemed like it would never end.

Hand clearing completed.

Tree service cutting and stump grinding completed.
Attached Thumbnails Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-img_5913_1.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-img_5979_8_7.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

I hope I'm not boring everybody to death with this project diary.

With a string stretched over the property line, the tree locations were accurately mapped onto graph paper using the 345 trick ( 3x4x5 triangles of any size unit give you right angles) and a 12 foot loop of string. A piece of plywood instead would have made this process a lot easier, but there wasn't one handy.

With the trees mapped, the latest track layout is getting closer to reality. It was sketched on Inkscape, with minimum 6ft wide lanes and 1ft of space around each tree.

Some people say to make your straight-away along the back of the track, for fewer crashes and thus less walking for inverted cars. However, for this space, that meant a shorter straight run and that cars would aim towards the drivers' mound in closer proximity if the turns were up front. So, it was decided to have a nice, long straight up front.

Attached Thumbnails Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-345survey.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-trackapril.jpg   Backyard track project for offroad mini scale-img_6051web.jpg