Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Florida Racing
1/18 Racing in Orlando (RC18T, Mini-T, etc) >

1/18 Racing in Orlando (RC18T, Mini-T, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/18 Racing in Orlando (RC18T, Mini-T, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/18 Racing in Orlando (RC18T, Mini-T, etc)

Hey all,

I've been searching and calling and talking and hoping and so far haven't found anyone with a track for these 1/18th scale trucks. Superior Hobbies has mentioned they plan on putting out their track but I call every weekend and it's a no go. (of course I've skipped a few weekends here and there and no offense to any of the guys out there, they put on a great show and have a lot of effort in their on-road course and hobby store). I understand it takes a lot of people and work to have a full on-road track going, plus hold down the fort at the hobby store, then to have another 1/18 track on the side would be a big much to deal with.

At the end of 2004 I was talking with someone at TQ Hobbies and they mentioned the possibility of putting together an off-road 1/18th track, I freaked out and was eagerly awaiting results. Called back in January and it seemed as though I made the whole thing up, maybe the person I was talking to had the wrong info? Great looking track they have there so I would have liked to see their efforts on a 1/18th track, I'm sure it would have been professional looking.

Ok, so after all these encounters I went to the drawing board and called upon my own experiences as a racer and watching many tracks being built from the ground up and decided to make my own 1/18th scale track in my back yard. It is not a monster, weighs in at 25' x 35' in total with only a few turns and jumps and one wooden tabletop (actually it is an encorperated deck taht is 10" high). I've got flood lights and spare lights installed for night racing and the lane width is about 2 feet.

I'll post some pictures once I have the railing done, I'm making it from scratch out of 1/8" hardboard paneling cut into 5" strips.

Once it is complete is anyone interested in stoping by?

Also, if you have info on any 1/18 tracks or gatherings let me know. I'm going to start practicing at flightline in the meanwhile as their track looks pretty nice. If anyone is interested in starting a 1/18th club there that would be cool too, I'm sure they could add us to their race nights once there are enough interested.