Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Florida Racing
CARTER RD. PARK – What is your interest in getting a track??? >

CARTER RD. PARK – What is your interest in getting a track???

CARTER RD. PARK – What is your interest in getting a track???

Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Post CARTER RD. PARK – What is your interest in getting a track???

Okay, with Bartow starting up again and in good hands with Dennis I am going to shift my focus now to Carter Rd in Lakeland Florida. Thanks to a few members on this forum it appears we have some hope at making this happen. Again, like I mentioned in my Bartow thread – before people start calling in favors, name dropping and doing the things they can do to make this happen – how many people think this is something they would be interested in?

Let’s start with these questions:
1. What scale/type car or truck would you run?
2. How often would you use the facilities?
3. How often would you attend a race at Carter Rd?
4. How much would you pay to be a member of the Club? (Members would get some incentive, X number of free race entries, etc.)

To do this it would most likely need to be done like Lake Park. There would need to be a true non-profit Club established with a formal plan that we could present to the County officials. Obviously since Carter Rd. is a public park anyone would be able to use it, however the Club would be responsible for maintaining it and ensuring it does not become a dust pad. So, with that being said… One thought is to have an annual Club fee ($50 for example) to cover the basics of the track. The Club would also charge like all clubs for racing weekends to continue to pool up funds with the goal being to continue to invest in the track and eventually draw a State race or larger scale race.

Based on the conversations I have had with one of the members here (they can announce themselves if they want) I truly feel this could happen. There are some details that need to still be worked out, but the ones that I felt would be major don’t seem to really be an issue.

Anyhow, post thoughts, comments, suggestions or anything you think could be helpful. You can also PM if you would like or call my cell phone (727-244-1390).

Sean

Last edited by SDelaney; 05-02-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Sean did you say in another post you had already spoken with the county parks staff?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I did say that - however I was not the one that had those conversations. There are a few members here who have the connections and I have the desire. Like I mention though, before they spend to much effort on this we want to make sure it makes sense.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default carter rd

Iam very interested there isn't anything wrong with multiple track,coming from stock car racing I enjoyed trying to figure what I needed to do to set my car up per track to be competitive as far as the track size in my opion set 2 tracks one oval and one short course style tracks for 1/10 scale and bigger or smaller will have to adjust their set up, as far as the maintinance goes iam all for an annual dues as long as its affordable and $50/$100 is a great area to start also working on the track/s I have no issues with a little leg work to keep up with the maintinance. These tracks will be for nitro and electric!! If this is gonna happen we need to perpose a list of what we need the county to supply clay,how much land, water,electric ect.... what they want from us also is what we are willing to do and how much electric and water we will use per year how often we will be out maitaining the tracks and area
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default not so sure

I think that if everyone supports the Asylum and Bartow 555 we will have plenty of tracks. Most people that I know can't race every weekend in this economy. Not to mention most have family's that require some of there time too.
For tracks to survive they have to have a descent turn out. When you get two many tracks in one area you wind up getting 5 or 10 at one track, 5 or 10 at another track and so on and no one has enough people to really support any one or two given tracks.
I am very happy to see Bartow reopen and look forward to many more races there.
I have enjoyed the Asylum and admittedly they have had a few problem (growing pains) which I see them trying to work out. It is hard to please everyone. I think when the rainy season starts allot more racers will be happy to have a roof over there heads.
Just my 2.5 cents
Jeff Davis
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. What scale/type car or truck would you run?..... 1/10th electric off road
2. How often would you use the facilities?..... Playing/practice, 1,2,3 times a month
3. How often would you attend a race at Carter Rd?..... Twice a month
4. How much would you pay to be a member of the Club? (Members would get some incentive, X number of free race entries, etc.)..... As little as needed If the club is hosting races that should be enough to cover expenses (club provides the labor because we enjoy the sport and are here to promote it).
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by popsrocket
I think that if everyone supports the Asylum and Bartow 555 we will have plenty of tracks. Most people that I know can't race every weekend in this economy. Not to mention most have family's that require some of there time too.
For tracks to survive they have to have a descent turn out. When you get two many tracks in one area you wind up getting 5 or 10 at one track, 5 or 10 at another track and so on and no one has enough people to really support any one or two given tracks.
I am very happy to see Bartow reopen and look forward to many more races there.
I have enjoyed the Asylum and admittedly they have had a few problem (growing pains) which I see them trying to work out. It is hard to please everyone. I think when the rainy season starts allot more racers will be happy to have a roof over there heads.
Just my 2.5 cents
Jeff Davis
+1 agreed Track options are always nice. The problem in that area is there is already Bartow and the Asylum. I have seen it in the past when there are a few different track choices within an hour or so apart each track ends up with only a few guys on race day.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Carter Rd. and 555 are less 15minutes apart, dont see the need for both and 555 is already there. Tracks in the Polk County are have always drawn racers from the "Tampa" area, so your already competing with Lake Park(when they run/they and 555 are both running the 22nd) not mention the Asylum. Most of us as whole are 2or3 time a month racers, so if you live in Lakeland you already have 3 tracks within 1hour drive already. Not to rain on anyones parade, but LP/555 have had issues running consistently and the Asylum is having there share of growing pains(and like has already been mentioned when it starts raining we will all be blessed to have that place) that they seem to be correcting. So in my opinion, we as racers/hobbyists should stand behind a place that we a have dreamed of having(indoor nitro/offroad) and 2 long standing facilites and make them prosper. Avon Park is dead,Farmres is gone, at least 2or3 tracks in the Orlando/Clermont area went belly up. My .02 cents.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

I agree. If you saturate the area with tracks, no one will succeed.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the input. I agree with most of it and would love to see Bartow make a push to get back. Like you said, it's already there - It needs work though too so we need to support the club races there to get things like Clay, new timbers, tools, etc.

I still think it's worth talking to Polk County and see what they are willing to allocate to make it happen at Carter Rd. It can't hurt. It also will let us guage their interest.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BlackLabelVinyl
I agree. If you saturate the area with tracks, no one will succeed.
+1
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

No need for another track. Instead of wasting so much time and effort to try and get something new going we just need to fix bartow. Sdealany i know your newer to the hobby but another track in the area is the last thing we need. Your going to have alot of schedule conflict which will lead to nobody doing well. Its great to see someone new so motivated to get stuff going but we have seen this happen before. On race days there will be 5 guys at 555, 5 guys at lakepark, and 5 guys carter rd for example. Having too many tracks close by will end up producing bad turnouts, which equals bad racing, which equals bye bye track. Listen to the Majority on this one bud. We have Lake Park Which is a awesome track. We have Bartow back and hopefully to stay and we have the Asylum which is a blessing. No need for anything else.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I completely disagree with there being too many tracks! A new, larger and better designed track at Carter Road Park would be beneficial to both racers and new people getting into hobby. Asylum is an awesome facility and with the excellent job Ken and his crew have done and continue to do, this track will continue to get support from Polk Cty., Tampa and Orlando racers. But in all honesty, I'm not very confident in how long Triple Nickel will last this time around (if the past 5 years is any indication), plus the track is extremely outdated, is in need of a major overhaul and it's way to small. (plus it gets pretty shady around that area after dark)

I think it would be a better idea to work with the dedicated Triple Nickel racers/bashers and develop a new "state of the art" track at Carter Rd. rather than putting money, effort and time into getting 555 back up to speed. The Carter Rd. track could be much larger, the County has indicated they would run electric and water to the track site, provide a significant amount of the "base" materials for the track, and since it would be located in a patrolled county park, we wouldn't have to worry about vandals and thieves like at 555.

Developing a new track will take a substantial amount of time, so 555 will/could be run for at least 6-10 more months, but once the new track is done, we could finally put "The Nickel" to bed and have a facility that everyone could be proud of and eventually draw some of the "major" events back to the area.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Moving forward... I understand and agree with everyones concerns about to many tracks. However, I still want to meet and talk with the directors at Carter Road. I don't think it can hurt.

Another thing to keep in mind has been pointed out in another thread. All 1/8 Nitro Races are going to be on Sundays. I know the reason for 2 of the tracks and they can't change. So, with that being known - if you are an 1/8 Nitro guy/gal that does Church on Sunday you are screwed.

At the end of the day I hope all tracks stick around. Bartow gives you a tight technical track, Lake Park is a premier design for the JConcepts events, Asylum brings you indoors for a fast blue grooved track. Everyone has different desires. Hell why do you think there is Motocross and Supercross and XGames.

Also, kids like my son who are learning to drive and just want to drive need a place. Bashers need a place.

Carter Rd.would be the BEST of all of these places to introduce kids to the sport hands down. All the kids there for soccer, baseball, softball, etc. You set up bleachers for them and I guarantee they would be coming over after their games and practices.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If your going to put another track around here, make it an on road...

Dont over saturate the area with offroad, if you want to close down Bartow and open Carter, then do that...dont make them compete with each other, or The Asylum, Lake Park....dont forget Little Dover either...

In this case, I completely agree with Alex... just not his taste in music

BTW Bashers have a place...from what I hear up at Hobbytown, they go down to Bartow during the week alot...its an open county park

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.