Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SS Raceway in Tampa

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Art Jensen
I think the point of the rally cars is an affordable way for new people to start racing with a car that will take a heck of a pounding without breaking. And they are super easy to drive.
Thanks Art, its great to see you understand & are cool with the concept.

Marcos, I’m not pushing the IGT on anyone.
We’ll be racing them at SS Speedway for many reasons; most importantly to grow racer attendance & participation by ”New Blood”. It is important for the growth in the “general public’s” interest in racing that we look outside the traditional “RC Box”.

Adrian, all of your track ideas have merit and I’m not diminishing your years of experience in the RC world, all input is welcome, appreciated and necessary OK.

Your track designs are cool; maybe you should put them on a grid to see if they’ll work with the track area we have to work with. BTW, the driver stands (yes 2 of them, because of the street sign) will be on the side near the street.

Ronnie & I were the first to walk on the asphalt. I was there with the workers making sure everything was as flat as possible.

We have already driven on the surface, figured out the pro’s & cons of the actual driver stand placement in regards to what we need to accomplish in terms of fast lines, spectator appeal and RC educational accessibility for the required county school board attendance.

We are scheduling school trips where children will learn about RC racing too, how many tracks have you been to that have even considered that in their design?

So as much as Ronnie & I personally would love to see a 1/8 scale only track layout, we realize there are many facets to this equation to consider; most importantly is our existing clients.

Our December 1-2 race deadline for Kyosho America, Werks Racing & RC Pro Series event scheduled is also a prime consideration.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Adrian,

Also consider that the lane widths need to start at 12’ with 1’ of run-off before the dividing walls and need to grow progressively away from the driver stands to 14’ on the back stretch. OK
Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the first layout on the left. The last one I llike too. Looks alot like the Fort. I think this setup will accomidate electrics just fine. It might be more open than what electric drivers are used to, so just gear up and go faster. Lets just try to stay focused everyone and not turn this into a pissing contest. This track is a good thing. I have never been to a track that I loved every single thing about. There was always one section that scared the hell out of me when I went through there fast. That does not necessarily make it bad, just challenging. The fact is it is hard to create the perfect layout. You can't please everyone. I think Adrian is doing a great job with the track design. Dude has seen a ton of tracks in his life and knows what will work and what won't. I can't wait to race there personally. Lets try to give some positive input and suggestions for the best possible outcome and not turn this into gas verses electric. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks Art, all the the layouts can be setup with the one over all track design so you can make it as open or twisty as you want to make it for any given weekend or event. All you have to move is 3 or 4 barriers.

Its really important to have a reasonably priced entry level class. Guys see a 1/8th missle running around and when you tell them what it cost they leave and never come back.

A $400 complete RTR Kyosho FW05 1/10th nitro sedan or Inferno 1/8th nitro ralley car are easy to drive, fast and a great place for guys to start out.

Once the get hooked then they can buy a full race rig.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Adrian,

Also consider that the lane widths need to start at 12’ with 1’ of run-off before the dividing walls and need to grow progressively away from the driver stands to 14’ on the back stretch. OK
All the lanes are 15' with way more than 1' of run off in most places. The sweeper at the end of the straight is 20' wide and 60' out side to out side.

Ronnie want to paint the track down but not put borders on the edges of the lanes. There will be barriers in the centers of the painted areas to prevent cars from crossing from one lane to another. There will be berms on the apexes that will make you not want to cut the track but will not launch you car.

I taked to Ronnie last Sat night so I am up on the driver stand locations too....
Old 11-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yes Adrian I agree.

The Kyosho IGT cars is superior for the new entries over the FW05’s or any other RC cars currently available to RC racing because they are stronger and won’t break. That is why they have been chosen as the entry level & economical class for SS Speedway.

We also have plans to offer RC rentals to give people the opportunity to experience RC racing too. These vehicles will be RTR electrics.

We are considering the Kyosho MiniZ & Tamiya TT01 cars for that use as well.
Also take into consideration that we only have 80’ of depth to deal with, including the pit lane for refueling,

Also think about the progressive lane widths so the view remains level.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default home advantage

Hurry up ...cant wait till this track is up and running...it will be nice that Tampa will have home andvantage in the state races...and what ever races this track will have...Maybe the next year will have tampa, kissimme and punta gorda .... nice .....
Old 11-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jspeed,

Are there any rules set up for 1/8 Rally Game open class for the December race which limit modifications allowed to the car other than engines and tires...? What about an extended chassis for example using a Kyosho ST-R chassis on a IGT.?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

I think the point of the rally cars is an affordable way for new people to start racing with a car that will take a heck of a pounding without breaking. And they are super easy to drive.
something affordable for people to start should be something like the HPI Rs4 3 or the Kyosho FW05T not a big heavy 1/8th sacale with a .21 motor (or is it a .26) i dontt think you want someone that never raced with a 6 pound 50mph missile
Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
something affordable for people to start should be something like the HPI Rs4 3 or the Kyosho FW05T not a big heavy 1/8th sacale with a .21 motor (or is it a .26) i dontt think you want someone that never raced with a 6 pound 50mph missile

So how many 1/8 scale RTR buggies run at "Lake Park" every weekend?

Our sport won't grow with Nitro Sedans, they break too much for the newbie.

The Kyosho IGT cars are on the way, the deal is finalized.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

See rules below

Last edited by Jspeed; 11-05-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed

Our sport won't grow with Nitro Sedans, they break too much for the newbie.

good point!! so you need to welcome and promote Electric tc a swell
Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jspeed,
What if I don't own a Kyosho IGT. Where does that put me... I am refering to the open class, I used the kyosho car as an example. What rules do you have other than engine and tires for Open class?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Marcos, I love ya like the little brother I never had, but please let it go.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Are you saying that because "YOUR" MI-3 is on my desk?

Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

I think Marcos is just having some fun...lol!

Vad N1 - I would imagine that the open class would be the place to race other buggies. I think this would be a fun class. Schumacher has a new rubber street tire that is the same profile as a 1/8 off road tire but is in a street compound and semi slick tread pattern...and fits standard 1/8 buggy wheels. They would give a 1/8th buggy serious traction on asphalt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.