Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

how many hobbies really have payouts with the exception or pro leagues which is the vast vast vast minority.. in fact, i'd bet that rc racing has the highest percentage of people receiving something for nothing (basically pay) than any other hobby in the world.. maybe that is the problem, everyone expects to get something other than just some good clean fun, competition, and comradery.. yet we all played football, baeball, soccer, tennis, fish, darts cards you name it with no expectation to win cash...
Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am not so sure that the people that say that they don't race becuase they want to win money.... are the the kind of people that would help the sport grow. I mean, if they get into the hobby as a new racer... how long will it take them to get to the point in thier skill curve that they will be winning money anyhow ? Prolly long past the point that they are willing to try....

Just a thought...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm in it for the fun, I am just quoting what more than a few people have told me when I explain the sport to them. I suck too much to win money anyway, LOL.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default Marketing?

Tim & Tally RC,

I’m also in it for the fun, but the fact that our sport has been treated as a hobby since the beginning of time is the reason it doesn’t grow.

As far as “some good clean fun, competition, and comradely”
My friends Tyji Armstrong & Martin Gramatica made a living and had fun in Pro Football and now they race Off Road RC cars.

Talk about Baseball, no kid ever put on a glove, threw a pitch or swung a bat not dreaming of being part of “The Big Leagues”.

Soccer, that Beechem guy married a “Spice” hottie and is getting paid an obscene amount of cash to kick a ball.

Tennis you say? Do you think the top 50 American players don’t earn at least $100K a year? Come on.

Fishing, I fish for fun or food sometimes but I’ve never entered a “Tournament that didn’t have money on the line.

Darts are cool when you’re getting drunk in bars while picking up chicks.

Cards, are you for real, I only play for money, unless I’m teaching someone how to play or at family reunions.

I noticed you didn’t mention Golf. The Golf guys play just about every hole for cash. Does a set of clubs cost more than you’ve invested in RC products and travel in the past year?

How can anyone explain to a Dad why he should spend $2k to $20K a year on the RC racing “hobby” for just a Bowling Trophy. BTW, Bowling pays CASH too!

Here’s the real deal, there are 2 major National RC Racing Sanctioning bodies in our country.

One of them wants to see every thing to stay the same as it ever was, while the other wants to see RC racing become a respected professional National pastime.

Both organizations have their place and value to the RC community and industry. Both can work together to better the hobby and sport.

I represent RC Pro and we are promoting the sport of RC racing to grow into a professional sport.

Last edited by Jspeed; 07-15-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A good friend of mine used to compete every year in the AMA control line championships. Worked almost every night on that plane for about 10 months .He then spent a month getting the thing trimmed out. He competed nationally and also did concours.What did he get a Trophy.R/C place are expensive.So are the latest thing for R/c 1/8 nitro.R/C in general is getting expensive like everything else.You want cheap go to radio shack.How about those Mini-Z get the car for about 125.00. The you spend another 200.00 for up grades.Losi and Losi with there RC18's.They are cheap - then comes the upgrades.JSpeed you talk about expensive price your 1/8 and 1/10th nitro on-road cars to purchse then and to make them competitive.
R/C tanks from Tamiya- to buy a tank- if you do not have anything electic:
New kits from 550.00-1000.00. Then you get the 4 channel tranmitter( if you don't know how to work on the transmitter - good luck),Battle system, battery and charger.Then you need others to player lazer tag with the tanks.Build a battlefield.Again this is a Hobby like everything else it cost money to have fun.Some cost more than others.
While I'm at it - I do real car show- I'm the promoter. I do a series every year(2nd year) for the Ale Houses up here. I ve had two national winners at my shows. Guess what they are competing for- Tophies! Then for the finals we have a grand champion competeting for a 5 foot trophy. Cost of the winner last year -$150,000.00 a 1955 Chevy Belair. Yesterday show had 1 of less than 100 Ford Phaeton 1934 left in the world.Ford only made 1000. Cost? Again they are competing for a 5 foot trophy.
Everyone this is a hobby..........

Last edited by BullFrog; 07-16-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Bullfrog,

I understand your point very well regarding “Show Cars”.

You are correct that “Show Cars” are a hobby. Do those “Show Car” owners race their investments? Do they push their vehicles to the edge to try to beat the guy racing next to them?

Most “Show Car” guys do the same thing, they make their cars look great and wait around for people to gawk at their rides.

I think most RC racers share more in common with “Street Racers”.

The “Street Racer” spends all of their time trying to make their car faster. The “Street Racer” wants their car to look good but racing is what they’re all about.

The “Show Car” & “Street Racer” guys get along and respect each other for what the do; it should be the same in RC, but it's not is it?

Bullfrog, the top level “Street Racers” always race for money since the 1940’s.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My present show car won't race on the highways - the tires are to old -but I did. There this florida club FTR that raced off road motorcycles (enduros and hare scrambles). I believe they are still amateurs and just race hare scrambles now and race for points and trophies.They risk there life just riding in one of there events. The bikes are expensive and the travel is about the same are us R/C guys. I did that in my younger days.
Actually we can go on and on about paid events and not paid. your for them and I not and this is the work thread for this discussion.I don't represent anyone organization or manufacturer.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Marketing

That’s cool Bullfrog, we can agree to disagree. I think all that read this thread can read between the lines.

These “Marketing” threads and topics have always rubbed some Florida racers the wrong way. It’s possibly due to the fact that there is little or no Marketing in RC racing to begin with. It could also be that some “hobbyists” don’t want to see RC racing grow into a sport.

By simple definition “Marketing” is the art of developing concepts and interest in something to increase its popularity & demand by the “general public”.

Are money races the only answer? No, there are hundreds of things that can be done to promote RC racing to people who don’t understand why we race. But to stand in opposition of the creation and acceptance of professional RC racing offers our sport nothing for the future.

Bottom line, if just about every form of sports has pro-level ranks that offer financial rewards, then RC racing should do the same.

Corporate America will never see RC racing as worthy investments until professional ranks are established.

It’s simple “Marketing”.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

JSpeed,

I agree.... there should be some kind of PRO ranks.... My take is.. that the Pro ranks, are not the part that will grow the grassroots
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

gimme a break. then tell your friend that yes, there is money in rc cause there is. the top .0001 get paid for racing.. you happy? just like the top .0000000001 get paid in sports.. i'd rather play the lotto, better odds.. there are pro ranks, and they get paid.. just like in all hobbies and sports.. but the vast billions do it cause it's fun.. go ask martin gramatica if he started playing sports solely to make money or if it just worked out that way...
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Scca Club racing ( amerature) , Scca pro ( paid). You can have grassroots gain popularity if you use to your advantage the marketing of the pro series.

Scca grass roots racing has made a huge growth due to the exposure the pro series is getting from being seen on Espn.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The Pro's have been getting paid for a long time. Look at the A-main in mod at yesterdays ROAR Nats most of those guys are paid to race. Alot of them get bonuses for performances at large events.

If money for racing was such a good idea why was it that that race last year that offered $25,000 in cash prices got cancelled weeks before it was to go off for lack of intrest? Yet the Snowbirds, Reedy Race, and the IIC sell out.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The real problem is at the club level, we will not grow the state series until attendance rises at the club level.
Skip and I started racing w/in 1 week of each other, he raced a monster beetle, and I came out w. my rc10. I started in naples and our club was huge when we started, that was around 87 i think, anyhow, we raced for probably 3 years before we started going to state races, and a lot of the naples crew travelled around the state. I think what made our club so large was our exposure to the general public. We raced in parking lots at grocery stores and the turnout was always great. once clyde built his track, the club died, and then the track closed.
-
Of all the tracks we race in the series, only superior has "foot traffic" and i am sure everyone has had some spectator come up and ask about rc racing while racing at superior.
I don't think i have had that at any other track.
-
So to wrap it up, here are my thoughts.
-
people that have rc cars need to be encouraged to run a local race by the hobby shop that sells them. even if they have a off road buggy, make a class for them or let them run in a rtr class.
Allthough i really am not motivated by troophies any more, That was huge when I was younger.
Clubs need point series w/ trophies or gift certificates to give out
I thinks cash prizes would ruin rc, it's called a hobby for a reason
-
lastly give the local newspaper a racing report to include in the sports section.
it is the main reason why I got back into reason after 10 years off, I then found out there were two tracks in ocala, and the rest they say is history
a couple thousand bucks later
-
sorry, I read through my post and it jumps around a littl bit, but you get the point i hope
-
Adrian,. I don't think we need to discourage people from coming to state races, but possibly combining the masters/novice class would not be out of line.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

"I thinks cash prizes would ruin rc, it's called a hobby for a reason"

What reason is that?

Whaaaaa, money is gonna hurt my hobby.

Does money hurt the NHRA, NASCAR, IRL, MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, PGA and the little hobby of Rock-Paper-Scissors too? What a load of …….LOL

Shops go out of biz, tracks close down, Manufacturers are looking to RTR bashers to stay alive and nothing should change, lets keep it a little hobby. Great job of marketing you guys are doing.

Last edited by Jspeed; 07-17-2007 at 07:39 AM.