Community
Wiki Posts
Search

state races

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jspeed: So you will know what has been done in the past. In the beginning the Speedway Spectatular was held at the Daytona Speedway during the Spring car show.As soon as anyone walked into the place you saw the track and us racing both electric oval and road course.After you went by us you saw the car show in the infield.After a few years it changed to oval. Still there were plenty of people out there watching.
Also in St pete there were several races going on with the street races in the past.
Parking lot races on busy streets gets people watching.Permanent tracks behind building or out of the way places doesn't.
Tampa area- Lake Park is on state property- been there for years.Many other tracks are on city/county property around the state.I got property from the city twice when I was active in jacksonville for tracks.You want people shown up for races- you'll have to spend money telling people. Heck a sign with an arrow car racing will work.Just hoping people will show up - good luck.I did my promoting for 20 plus years had two trailers in my yard- Robbies driver stand and my trailer.Raced twice monthly plus a state series race once a year , a regional(several) and a nationals.I did 95% of the work.Seeing how some people do it now and nobody shows up, plus the price of fuel that's the problem.If people can't see what your doing how are they going to know what your doing?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kyle "hitawall"
Over the last 2 seasons with FSEARA I’ve noticed a steady decline in attendance to the races. When I first started racing it was common to se over 100 entries, now we are barely making it past 50. Is this because of the price of the cars or just a lack of interest? In the gas and off-road state races it is common for them to have over 150 entries. I would like to see that kind of number in FSEARA. What can be done to have this happen?

2 day events.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davepull
2 day events.

don't worry Davebull I race touring with ya in the ville'
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
don't worry Davebull I race touring with ya in the ville'
That will be a problem...He only knows how to turn left now a days....
Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default State Races

Bullfrog- “If people can't see what your doing how are they going to know what your doing?”

Seems like we are on the same page there, and I agree with just about everything in your last post too. If we want to see our Sport grow into the “Mainstream Population”, we as ambassadors of RC racing must support facilities & events held in Hi-Visibility locations regardless of Sanctioning Body Affiliations.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I offered FORGASS, a ROAR affiliate the opportunity to promote their State Series at an RC Pro event. I did that a gesture of good faith to help increase popularity, public interest in their programs, for the benefit of all the Florida track owners and the entire RC industry.

They chose not to promote FORGASS to tens of thousands of Real Racing Fans simply because it was RC Pro putting on the race and I was behind the project. All it shows is lack of support for anyone working to increase the popularity of RC racing to “Mainstream American Public”.

The RC Pro Homestead Miami International Fuel Challenge was a success and the only people that know that today are those that were part of it and the Thousands of Spectators that enjoyed watching RC racing for the first time.

Everyone else will see it in RC Car magazine next month along with the rest of the RC world.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We would be glad to take you up on that offer for promotion of FSEARA....

:>

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Bullfrog- “If people can't see what your doing how are they going to know what your doing?”

Seems like we are on the same page there, and I agree with just about everything in your last post too. If we want to see our Sport grow into the “Mainstream Population”, we as ambassadors of RC racing must support facilities & events held in Hi-Visibility locations regardless of Sanctioning Body Affiliations.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I offered FORGASS, a ROAR affiliate the opportunity to promote their State Series at an RC Pro event. I did that a gesture of good faith to help increase popularity, public interest in their programs, for the benefit of all the Florida track owners and the entire RC industry.

They chose not to promote FORGASS to tens of thousands of Real Racing Fans simply because it was RC Pro putting on the race and I was behind the project. All it shows is lack of support for anyone working to increase the popularity of RC racing to “Mainstream American Public”.

The RC Pro Homestead Miami International Fuel Challenge was a success and the only people that know that today are those that were part of it and the Thousands of Spectators that enjoyed watching RC racing for the first time.

Everyone else will see it in RC Car magazine next month along with the rest of the RC world.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

as a former florida racer i just wanted to put in one more vote for "high costs" as the cause for decline.. in my 20 or so years of racing it is hands down the number one reson i have heard for someone leaving the hobby (or not starting).. the lack of a true "spec" class doesn't help and when there are "fast guys" running in the "slow class" it makes it hard for casual racers to compete without a heavy monetary investment.. now granted in such an established series like fseara your not talking about casual racerers or newbies as i imagine most participants are more hardcore racers, but without a steady influx at the local or club level where most folks just want to have fun or be casual in a more cost controled environment, you wont get growth or even have sustained participation at the higher levels.. sort of like if nobody played little league it would be hard to field highschool teams, and thus hard to field college teams and so on... just my two cents..
Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Didn't we have this same sorta discussion last year when rule changes were being discussed. The numbers are not only down at the series but also Rob's numbers and competition level has decreased as well. Costs are up, gas is up and sometimes.....as in my case, "life" just gets in the way.

The competition level has always been tough in all the classes. I'm not it drives people away to the point of major impact. In fact, I'm not sure the stock TC class is as tough now as it was some years ago. Remember the days of Freitas, Dobbs, Seeba, Bear, Hatcher, Padilla, Bruce brothers, Galante, Bandera just to name a few at any given stock TC state race. The numbers were way up then. Point is, if you have the determination to rise to the top, you will progress. I've seen the talents of Goldie, Morris, Duncan, Lil B and several others really come on in the last year or two.

I suggested along with a few others last year to at least try to make some of these races a one day race but it fell on deaf ears. Because it has always been a 2 day race doesn't mean that's what works best now. Why not try to make one of the races in the center of the state a one day race? FOCARS does it and it works.......do you think their attendance would increase or decrease by adding an additional day?

Most everyone shows up sometime on Friday anyhow, so it's really a 2 day race and you still have time practice, get a hotel and to BS with the boys on Friday night over dinner. Everyone wants to think up reasons why they can't do anything other than a "real" 2 day race instead of focusing on how they could possibly make a 1 day race work.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It seems that there are several people in favor of 2 day events, and then some that are in favor of one day events. One suggesstion is to split the race up over the two days. By this I mean,

Saturday racing 3 quals and a main
novice
masters
stock
mod round 1,2,3

sunday racing 3 quals and a main.
19turn
12th scale
brushless stock
mod round 4,5,6
-

this would allow for some of the racers who only want to come for one day do so, plus for those that like the 2 day events, you can run 2 classes, or run the mod
-
Just my suggestion to drive conversation on the topic, any thoughts?
-
plus is there anyway we can get rc car action, or rc driver, or any of the mainstream magazines to feature an article on the State series, possibly exposing the series to racers around florida that read the mags, but are not sure what we are about?
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

[QUOTE=dbmartin]It seems that there are several people in favor of 2 day events, and then some that are in favor of one day events. One suggesstion is to split the race up over the two days. By this I mean,

Saturday racing 3 quals and a main
novice
masters
stock
mod round 1,2,3

sunday racing 3 quals and a main.
19turn
12th scale
brushless stock
mod round 4,5,6
-
QUOTE]

Wouldn't work for me (and I imagine others are in a similar situation). I race stock and the guys in my trailer/ the guys I share expenses with run Mod and 19 turn. I'd have to stick around anyway.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

Here's another opinion -

The hobby goes in cycles. Maybe we're just in a down turn. I think the speed and technology of the cars is getting out of hand. Pan cars started to die because they got too fast. There was too big of a gap between the really fast guys and the guys in the B-mains. It was rare for someone to break-in and compete. Then touring cars came. Everyone was back on the same level. It was like starting from scratch. Hell, I still have a plaque in my garage for getting 3rd in the A-main in Touring Mod at a state race. No way I could even sniff the A-main now, let alone score a podium. Now fast-forward 8 years. We're back to where we were with Pan cars. The stock guys are going as fast as the mods used to. The mod guys are out-of-control fast. 7 turn motors? With the 3.5 Brushless even faster? Are you kidding me? The gap between the fast guys is even bigger than before. At least with a pan car, it wasn't hard to tune the thing. Can you imagine what a newbie must be thinking when he breaks something on the RTR he just bought? He doesn't know how to simply repair it, forget about tuning it and making it fast. Something's gonna have to come along to get everyone back on the same level.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dbmartin
...plus is there anyway we can get rc car action, or rc driver, or any of the mainstream magazines to feature an article on the State series, possibly exposing the series to racers around florida that read the mags, but are not sure what we are about?
Actually, you all need to check out www.racetalklive.com on Wednesday nights from 8pm to 9pm. Its a talk radio show about racing and r/c racing hosted by Doc Love and Danny. The same guy that broadcast live from the Snowbirds. Doc Love also writes articles (East Coast Sound Bytes) for R/C Car magazine. So he is a huge supporter for r/c racing and a media form to tap in. He saw a picture of my son during the Speedway Specatular that TonyP took and asked if he can interview my son about r/c racing. I am sure if a FSEARA official contacted him and/or offered to provide race reports, he can mention it on his radio show or better yet feature one of our state series races on East Coast Sound Bytes.

Be sure to check out June's copy of R/C Car Magazine.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

fyi 1 day, 2 day, practice day ALL was discussed at the annual state series meeting last year. don't think that we ignore all these comments

Superior Hobbies one day club race is this weekend! How many out of towners will come to this race vs a two day state race?!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Troy, has thier been any discussions about making the format for all the classes the same as mod? (Or am I in the minority here?)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monster Man
Troy, has thier been any discussions about making the format for all the classes the same as mod? (Or am I in the minority here?)
Yes, nothing formal but we could talk about it for next year. Its not easy to set the Reedy format as it is a work in progress this year. Plus, the point of doing it in the first place was to set the mod class apart/up the modified entries/make it more appealing to run mod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.