Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > Fantom Racing
Rotor diameter :: how does it change motor performance? >

Rotor diameter :: how does it change motor performance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rotor diameter :: how does it change motor performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Rotor diameter :: how does it change motor performance?

Hi Jeff,

I am running the 17.5 ION motor and very happy with it.

There are different rotors diameters available from your shop. In what way does the rotor diameter change the motor performance?

Cheers,

Tony
Old 07-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by r0adrunn3r
Hi Jeff,

There are different rotors diameters available from your shop. In what way does the rotor diameter change the motor performance?

Cheers,

Tony

Hey Tony, A bigger diameter rotor is going to provide more torque and alow you to gear a little higher if desired. They also tend to make the motors run a little cooler. On my 4wd for example I can gear it at 78/25 with a 10.5 Ion and 12.5mm Rotor and the motor tends to run a little hot. With a 13mm rotor I can gear up to 78/27 and the motor runs slightly cooler with added torque. Hope this helps...
Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by r0adrunn3r
Hi Jeff,

Cheers,

Tony
What type of racing are you doing? I do mostly oval racing, and have found that on a track where you can keep the RPM's up, you can def. get away with a smaller motor. Check with your local track to make sure changing rotors is allowed, as I have heard of several places not allowing it.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default Rotor size

At the local Tracks Here in AZ where both I and RCHAVOC are from teh rotor size doesnt matter UNLESS there is a POINTS or a ROAR Rules race. I run the 13mm Rotor in all of my ION 1 Series motors. With the large Torque increase and the Coolere temps that it runs it is worth running. Both HAVOC and i when we run at large Races that the Rotor Size is in the Rules that we run teh Required size so that there is Now Question when it comes to the TECH STATION. But evn then i have had People tell me that i am CHEATING do to the Lage amount of POWER the the FANTOM MOTORS produce.

What type of oval racing are you doing. I ran Dirt oval on the DIRT OVAL.COM series for over 12 years.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCHavoc
Hey Tony, A bigger diameter rotor is going to provide more torque and alow you to gear a little higher if desired. They also tend to make the motors run a little cooler. On my 4wd for example I can gear it at 78/25 with a 10.5 Ion and 12.5mm Rotor and the motor tends to run a little hot. With a 13mm rotor I can gear up to 78/27 and the motor runs slightly cooler with added torque. Hope this helps...
" HAVOC " It also helps if you actually cut Air holes in the Body for air flow, since we do live in AZ. HA HA HA
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run both onroad and offroad. I will have to see what our rules say about changing the rotor... Thanks for the information.