Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC driving school

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default RC driving school

I came out to the track for the first time to run the 415. I keep boarding it.

I think problem is mostly because of me trying to get the car to run straight. For now I cut the foam bumper piece thinking that might be hindering movement of the front tires.

Anyone have any advice for a newb driver? Im sure most of you started somewhere.

If you say maybe its the setup of my car, I dont think it is as my friend who hepled me setup drove the car like its on rails

What can I do to improve my driving skill? what will help me?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

practice like there is no tomorow!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Check that when your servo turns to a side, it completely goes to neutral after you release it. I had a problem with my RDX on the linkage that it wasnt going back fully to the neutral position. You should also check the toe-out on the front and check that your car can run a straight line on servo's neutral position. From there, the rest you can do is lower the sensibility and speed of the servo, till you get a hang of it.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Most new people that I see are too hard on the throttle and the steering and in that order. You hit the gas too hard come close to hitting a board and oversteer to miss it and end up zig zagging all over the place.

If your radio is so equiped, try turning down the throttle and steering. You may want to go as far as 50% on throttle and and just poke around the track following the dark grove created by the racers. This will help you with the hand/ eye coordination that only comes from repetition.

It takes time to get things down because as you are running you are memorizing the timing of the turns and the steering input required to get around the track without over compensating. Practice is the only thing that will do it.

If your buddy races have him play pace car and follow him around slowly building up speed.

Good luck,

Greg
Old 01-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

I think part of my problem is also knowing when to steer. I have one ways in front so I think when I let go of the throttle the rear stops and the front pushes.

I know practice makes perfect and if only the track is closer to me
Old 01-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

drive in the middle of the track, not on the "fast" line... once you can do consistent laps in the middle of the track, then pick a corner at a time to drive the racing line...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You might want to swap back to a normal diff up front, so you can use your brakes more effectively, I wouldn't throw a newbie on a car with a one way up front. And like everyone is saying, go slow, limit the throttle. Then once you get consistant, give yourself more speed. I'm sure you've heard, sometimes slower is faster. Try making the laps pretty, and consistant, then try going faster...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
practice like there is no tomorow!
Agree. And race like its your last race.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

ya, a oneway up front can take some time to know how to drive with...it makes breaking much harder, but you can coast when you get good
Old 01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

although we were all learners once,who actually got profesional help?
i dont personally think theres enough 'tutoring' for newbies in this world.
if there were or even demo shows,we could teach and make this hobbie grow.
remember fresh blood is the future in anything.
as to starting to race.dont use a silly fast motor limit the throttle and just try and look as far in front of the car as possible.
try and imagine you are driving the car from inside it.feel what it is doing.
dont worry about the car in front aswell.just relax and enjoy it and it will come.it may take a while but it does.
as for the steering try and be as smooth as possible,dont rush the steering.if yopur going to fast and have to crank on the steering slow down.
when your new normally slower is faster and bye going slow and consistant you will beat the bloke in front whos hammering it in every corner going wide and crashing.
good luck and have fun
Old 01-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

yeah there is no onroad track for 60 miles here that does over 27t stock

but do what me and my step-dad do,

take some cones up to the wal*mart when its dark (and warm) and drive around, sence its not as crowed on a saturday night and lit, we have mad fun

on the week we drive at the old circit city parking lot
Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
yeah there is no onroad track for 60 miles here that does over 27t stock

but do what me and my step-dad do,

take some cones up to the wal*mart when its dark (and warm) and drive around, sence its not as crowed on a saturday night and lit, we have mad fun

on the week we drive at the old circit city parking lot

driving in a car park with electric.... i'd rather watch paint dry.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
From there, the rest you can do is lower the sensibility and speed of the servo, till you get a hang of it.
Please don't lower your sensibility. but you may want to try to adjust the sensitivity.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the good advice. A friend suggested I just run stock motor and so I did.

I just have to get used to my car. I am lucky enough a friend helped me setup the car.

On topic, what are your first experiences driving Rc for the first time like?

I also have a Tamiya Mini M03. I think that is easier to drive around the track, but then again sedan is different.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One of the things we do with noobs is to roll the throttle trim forward to about 30-50% and tell them to just steer around the track or hit the brakes. No throttle inputs. They then get 1/2 of the learning cut out of the equation and are able to focus better on steering and getting around the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.