Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 2.4GHz

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

EA,

No Novak for me this year. Believe me, I wanted to be there!! I'm up to my eyeballs in work right now, prob. won't make a race until this summer. The Birds and carpet nats are both off limits for me sez my boss. At this rate my next electric race will most likely be the IIC or Halloween Classic!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Wow...Guess business is good then!! I borrowed a 2.4 system from Goetz at the Novak and it was dialed Faster than the "Other" system by far. Time to order me one I guess

EA
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Socko where was you for the Novak race? I figured you'd be there again.
agreed. we missed you. i don't think that wall claimed any car kits this year. (though i tried )

socko, thanks for the holiday greeting. we'll talk to you soon.

- c -

ea - no problem.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Released with radio?

Just wanted to find out if there is a date of when it will be released with the radio. It is time for a new radio, but I don't want to buy and 3PK and also the 2.4 module and receiver.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jblackburn
Just wanted to find out if there is a date of when it will be released with the radio. It is time for a new radio, but I don't want to buy and 3PK and also the 2.4 module and receiver.
I saw it at Tower..
3PKS w/2.4ghz system package
Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check the For Sale forum. There's a bulk purchase going on right now for this system.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

This is available now overseas:
the 3PKS system should follow shortly..

Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well I took the plunge and picked up the 3PKS (transmitter only) and the FASST system.

I bought the system between the 3rd heat and the main, with the intention of installing it after the main. That lasted about 3 seconds until I figured out I had enough charge on the transmitter to run the race. I popped my JR R-1 PCM receiver out and dropped the FASST receiver in. I bound the system according to the little sheet in the FASST module box. Flipped the servo reverse switches, setup the ESC, re-centered the steering and set the EPA, and hit the track. I was standing on the driver's stand when I realized I needed to dial in a little exponential, so I jumped into the menu and set it.

Ran my race and it felt great. I broke from an early hit, but I was walking away with the race at the time.

I did all of this without cracking the (somewhat imposing) transmitter manual. This transmitter has a VERY intuitive menu system. My R-1 definitely has some quirks that you wouldn't naturally grasp without reading the manual.

Two observations and a question:

1) The car seemed to track straighter with the FASST system than it did with the PCM system, with the only change being the recevier. Not sure what to make of that. I wasn't a servo trim adjustment thing, the car just seemed to square-up faster going down the straight.

2) The car felt smoother with the FASST that the PCM. Apparently this may be due to having HRS enabled? Which leads me to my question:

I am not using a Futaba servo (JR 8800), but I'm in need of a new one (broke an ear off it a while back, it's time). I would likely prefer to get a Futaba servo, but am I okay running the JR if I need to?

Anyway, kick-butt system. I tend to like staying off the beaten path, but the spread-spectrum systems were getting too nice to ignore. The Futaba system feels excellent, and the 3PK is a great transmitter to pair it with. I couldn't be happier with the new system!

Mike
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

Do you guys leave the stock antenna in the radio when using the FASST or Spektrum systems. From the pictures I've seen from races, the Futaba drivers (Barry Baker, Lemieux, Hara) all leave it in, so they have both antennas. Are there any advantages: better weight balance? or reception?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I leave my antenna in but you dont have to its just personal preference. I had nothing but problems last year at the birds with my M11. This year with my 3pks and 2.4 system the results were a little different. Excellent to say the least. Thanks Futaba for giving me one less thing to worry about.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I hear some people leave them in, because they are so used to having antenna's they will put the normal antenna up and down...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

I leave mine in..feels more balanced...
but if I had a longer mini Coax cable... then I would attempt to relocated the antenna to it's original location like the 3PM

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=176309
Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the quick replies about the antenna.

I also have a question about which transmitter bag you guys are using. I love my Speed Mind bag but the radio won't fit with the 2.4 system.
My options are a new case or just taking the FASST module out each time. Are there any issue with regularly taking the TX module in and out? Does it weaken the connections?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jon123
Thanks for the quick replies about the antenna.

I also have a question about which transmitter bag you guys are using. I love my Speed Mind bag but the radio won't fit with the 2.4 system.
My options are a new case or just taking the FASST module out each time. Are there any issue with regularly taking the TX module in and out? Does it weaken the connections?
you can trim the foam padding to fit the antenna.
I use the Futaba metal case... and I take the module out and haven't had any problems with the connections... one of these days.. I'll trim out the foam.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
I leave mine in..feels more balanced...
but if I had a longer mini Coax cable... then I would attempt to relocated the antenna to it's original location like the 3PM

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=176309
What's inside the module antenna anyway? Is it just a wire inside?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.