Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Airwave
  • 1 Post By snuvet75
  • 1 Post By iTz Nicholas72

Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Want to try something new...

Currently running the TC7.1 and it's been great so far. Durable enough, parts are cheap, and I've gotten the setup pretty good on it.

Torn between an Awesomatix A800XA or a Serpent 4X.

There is one local who has a 4X but not many parts and same for his A800. Have probably 2 semi-locals that are there at least once a month for both the Awesomatix and Serpent.

A team driver went through his Awesomatix and explained the theory behind it. Doesn't anywhere near as complicated as I first feared.

The Serpent even after having someone break it down for me seems a bit daunting and looks pretty complicated maintanice wise.

Parts support and setup advice is basically a draw for the pair.

Has anyone owned both at one point, curious about durability and maintanice...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Tech Addict

I currently own both. Not run the A800 yet though.

The 4X is fast and super easy to drive given some of the latest setups and option parts.

I'm rebuilding and reading about my A800 I just bought and as you say it's not as bad as it looks. The setup theory should be very similar to conventional chassis. The 4X is a bit harder to understand IMO

From a durability stand point, I think my 4X is a tank apart from the bulkheads being a bit of a weak point. The aluminium is also so so. Can't say for sure on the A800 as I've not run it but folks do say that it's a fragile car (carbon fibre arms!)
SCT - Tekno SCT410 / Losi 22SCT 2.0
WagwanBumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I speak for the a700 evo 2 but the weak part arent the carbon fiber arms themselves it the plastic part at the end of them holds the ball stud. Atleast thats been my case.
Speed Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Tech Master

I don't know much about the Serpent car but I can tell you a Awesomatix is a very well built strong car. The wear and durability of the part are top notch. Repairs are almost non existent I bought 2 cars a year apart both used raced by very good racers and they were the best bargains cars for the length of time I raced the first car which is one of the original A800 first generation car to my a800a they are work horse's. The

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Forget the 4x. It is full of flaws like leaking dampers and more.
I am not a hater, but train with some of their teamdrivers. The current version is no good. At least wait for the second generation.
The actual A800X is the right choice. Constant development and a low cog make a lot of drivers very fast at the clubs here in Germany. If it wasn't for the money and my T4'17 I would have jumped the train already
Old 09-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Have you considered the Xray T4 2018?
dave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

forget about complex cars and go for a compromise : MTC1... classical architecture but a drop of innovation.
aracefan likes this.
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
forget about complex cars and go for a compromise : MTC1... classical architecture but a drop of innovation.
The Mugen is very tempting.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I went to a race down in Dallas, and the guy there running the Serpent was a decent driver, not as fast as the guys running the Xray's, but pretty darn good. first time I had seen the 4X and was intrigued (I have a TC7) and asked about it. . . 5 minutes into his explaining I was lost and probably staring at him like a deer in headlights type thing. I think he understood and wrapped it up and I still have no clue about that car.

I know that didn't really help, and have no exposure to the A800, but I, personally, would lean to the Xray/Mugen... probably even consider the VBC D09 Dynamics over the Serpent... Good luck!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
I went to a race down in Dallas, and the guy there running the Serpent was a decent driver, not as fast as the guys running the Xray's, but pretty darn good. first time I had seen the 4X and was intrigued (I have a TC7) and asked about it. . . 5 minutes into his explaining I was lost and probably staring at him like a deer in headlights type thing. I think he understood and wrapped it up and I still have no clue about that car.

I know that didn't really help, and have no exposure to the A800, but I, personally, would lean to the Xray/Mugen... probably even consider the VBC D09 Dynamics over the Serpent... Good luck!
It is pretty simple actually.not any more difficult than when you learn traditional TC.
Disclaimer: i am not brand loyal and not a big supporter of Serpent but i had to break a misconception on your remarks. The car has flaws just like any other brands. Leaky shocks, you need to buy option parts together to make it easy to work(i'm sure they will release v2 soon), weak aluminum turnbuckles, hard to change lower arm inserts. But it has pros too.
The car is for sure very different from any other and you will have fun working on the car since you wanted something different. I have heard many good things about A800 but heard it is weak from some people. Good luck.
aracefan likes this.

Last edited by snuvet75; 09-26-2017 at 10:44 AM.
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
It is pretty simple actually.not any more difficult than when you learn traditional TC.
Disclaimer: i am not brand loyal and not a big supporter of Serpent but i had to break a misconception on your remarks. The car has flaws just like any other brands. Leaky shocks, you need to buy option parts together to make it easy to work(i'm sure they will release v2 soon), weak aluminum turnbuckles, hard to change lower arm inserts. But it has pros too.
The car is for sure very different from any other and you will have fun working on the car since you wanted something different. I have heard many good things about A800 but heard it is weak from some people. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure at this point I'll wait and see what Serpent offers with the 4X Evo or whatever it will be named.

The Gizmo GZ2 has also piqued my interest...
snuvet75 likes this.