Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery 101 -------------->>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Battery 101 -------------->>>>>

OK, I am new to R/C. I am going to be getting a TC3 in 2 days. I have a 2400 mAh battery pack and a charger. I see that most people at the local track have made their own battery packs. Some are 3000 mAh and some are 3300 mAh.

I would like to know exactly what I should be using. I want to race my car eventually so I might as well get the right stuff now.

I understand you have to charge them with a charger then when you are done running, you have to discharge them. A 2400 mAh battery pack is discharged differently than a 3000 and 3300 mAh battery pack.

Can someone please explain the basic's of battery's to me and suggest what I should get.

THANKS
Old 10-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

first off - welcome to rc racing and your first good choice was starting with a kit like a TC3. Well done!

Batteries - starting out 2400 mah batteries will be more than enough. try not to get caught up in the "battery thing" too much. batteries are the least of your concerns when starting. though they are a important part, concentrate on learning how to drive and learn everything you can about the car. but you asked about batteries........

without going into great details, i suggest visiting SMC's website. www.smc-racing.com they have a complete break down of all batteries. the difference between each cell and their recommended maintenace on each type of cell. (i am not affiliated with SMC, but have visited their site often to see whats new).

And lastly, make sure you ask lots of questions at your local track. one great thing about our hobby is that all of us love to talk about our stuff and are glad to help anyone that comes along. good luck and have fun.

Last edited by TheBarber; 10-30-2002 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the help
Old 10-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

there is a lot to know about batteries! I am going to have to read more about it. I still don't understand how the different charging works. Peaking the pack...this is all just mumble jumble to me.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

www.promatchracing.com also has some good info to read through.
Nice job on the car selection!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

yeah, i am going to have to do some reading...

as for the selection of the TC3...I made the mistake of buying a Traxxas 4-Tec about 4 weeks ago. I went to the local track and every single person had a TC3. That is why my 4-Tec is for sale right now. I will be getting my TC3 tomorrow!!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

bummer about the traxxas, but you made the right choice starting out with a TC3.

Charging batteries made simple:

do you have a peak charger?

if so, do you have a peak detection setting or adjustable peak?

if so, charge 2400s, 3000HVs, and 3300s at 6 amps (may vary depending on who you ask). Peak detection should be set at .03 volts (may go up or down depending on who you ask) 3000 Ultra metal, or stock metal hydrids should be charged at 5 amps at a .02 detection. (also depending on who you ask). confused yet.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

I'll suggest, that you stay on NiCd's, they can take more abuse than the NiMh. You can always buy NiMh's later. And actually, 2400 NiCd's are very good.

Please tell us which charger you have, then we can be more specific in our help.

Anyway, here are some thumb rules:

* Use a peak charger. Timer chargers will very often ruin packs !
* Never charge a pack, while the pack are hot/warm. Do alow them to cool down !
* Always store packs discharged. Even if its just for one day. The easiest way to discharge a pack, is simply to drive until the car slows down. Then stop. dont drive untill the car cant move anymore.

Whith these few rules, you are pretty well done.

If you will do some extra, then get your self an equalizer. Whith such one, each cell in a pack are discharged individually. The short version is, that the cells get synchroniced this way. This means better performance AND better life time.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

I have a Dynamite Vision Peak charger. It is AC/DC. I can select 2 or 4 amps and I can select either 6 or 7 cell.

I have a 6-cell 2400 mAh Power-MAXX battery pack. Please let me know if I have the right stuff for a beginner. And let me know if I should get something better.

Last edited by unknown; 10-31-2002 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Batteries, charging

Charging at 4amps will be fine at first. Once your driving is clean then you will want to move up to a charger that has an adjustable charge rate of at least 5+amps. When you can drive clean lines you won't be able to keep up at a lower charge rate.

I have bought 6, 2400 Max-packs and only 3 of them are any good. They are built with unmatched, bottom of the batch batteries and do not perform. Integy batteries are good quality and the prices are reasonable for what you get. Quite a few people at our local tracks run them.

The Integy 16x2.5 and the Reedy Quasar Pro are very good AC/DC chargers with adjustable amp rates and LCD display to let you know what is going on.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

ok...here is one of the mant questions I have...

should I make my own pack or buy one already made?

what kind should I get??? 2400 mAh 3000...3300???
Old 10-31-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Welcome to the sport--

The 2400 that you have a good for just starting out. As others have said, you can get better batteries once you have learned to drive a good line. I use Pro-Match batteries myself, and they do have a lot of info on there website about batteries.
www.promatchracing.com

One thing about 2400, so that you will get a long life span from your batteries, I recommend that you charge a pack only one time a day. Charging a pack more than once can be done. But in the long run, it can damage the pack.

Once you feel good about your driving, you may want to step up to 3000 or 3300 batteries. Than you will want to get a better charger. I have the Integy 16X5, it is a good charger.

Have fun and take you time. Driving good doesn't happen overnite.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I agree with everyone else here, don't worry about getting new batts, the ones you have are more than enough for now. In my opinion, the most important thing is getting your car set up right for the track! Find out what the fast guys are running for setups as far as suspention, gearing, and tires. You might need to get some new springs and tires for sure, cause if that stuff is off, new batteries wont make a difference! Also keep good care of your car, i.e. clean it off, keep the bearings oiled, your car will be faster and last longer.

Once you start running consistant fast laps, then consider getting some new batteries. You'll want to get some "matched" cells, these are the cream of the crop batteries as they will all have similar high voltages and runtimes. You'll have to assemble these into a pack.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh I forgot the most important thing... Have fun!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

thank you very much everyone! i just have one more question...

should I get Ni-CD or Ni-MH?

and I have read that you have to charge and discharge both a different way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.