Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Are brushless motors faster than brushed? >

Are brushless motors faster than brushed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are brushless motors faster than brushed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you gear the motor correctly , Temperature`s will be similar to brush designs...
you can use the motor heat sinks from brushed motors, right?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Legend

Not sure if a standard heat sink would fit..
Although having a bit of help with cooling the motor would`nt hurt...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

i know the novak gtb system comes with a cooling fan, but is that for the speedo or the motor?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The fan for the GTB is for the controller.

If you gear the motor correctly , Temperature`s will be similar to brush designs...
I have to disagree with brushless motors running just as hot as brushed. Even at 7 and 8 turn performance levels, my brushless motors are never as hot as their brushed counterparts. By definition, they will not be since they are much, much more efficient.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

The brushless motor runs cool, but the controller(novak) runs hot(at least some people have problem).
Old 01-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

If I were to get the novak 4.5 system that is coming out, would it be competitive enough to run in the mod class for 1/10 touring car?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

i presume that the GTB speedo heats up just as much as a brushed speedo, right?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lookinco
If I were to get the novak 4.5 system that is coming out, would it be competitive enough to run in the mod class for 1/10 touring car?
it should be.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Wait a few weeks for the LRP Sphere Competition and the Reedy 4*.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

By all reports, the 4.5 should be THE one to finally take on the 6-7t motors that are being used in touring. The 5.5 is equal to around a 9t depending on who you ask.

It's true that brushless esc's get warmer than brushed esc's in normal operation, but they have more than three time the amount of work to do! I run a GTB 5.5 and the esc has only thermalled on me once. (Due to fan failure, i was also running fair below the recommended gearing on a 40deg celcius day)

The motor can get toasty, but not anywhere near a brushed motor.
Also, the velocity motors are exactly the same size as brushed motors so any brushed motor heatsink will fit fine. There are heatsink/fan units available from 3racing.
The new 4.5 has a ribbed surface however, so i'm not sure that a full contact heatsink will do all that much. maybe a fan is a better idea.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by killingtime
I beg to differ. Have you tried a Reedy Mini Max, or a Beast mod motor, or how about Trinity's Cobalt? All have outstanding rip and top speed. Also they are just as tune-able as any 1/10 scale motor. I race with a brushed motor...by choice over the brushless. I will agree, they have ridiculous top speed, but I have yet to see one that is as smooth and controllable as a good brushed.

As for waiting for the Castle Creations 10th scale version of thier brushless system, I wouldn't hold my breathe. Its' release has been delayed for a long time now. Hopefully they are doing the right thing by fixing bugs in the system before it gets released to the public.
IMO, yes the Reedy Mini Max is a very good motor but still can't compare to a MAMBA 6800 in all of my 1/18th applications. I guess it all depends on the voltage also. I have a Reedy Mini Max with a GTX in a RC18t. Runs really good but racing on carpet, the ESC gets VERY hot (and I have tried LOTS of different gearing to get temps down). The max number of cells of for the GTX is 7. I can run a three cell LiPo (11.1v) with the Mamba 6800 and the Reedy Mini Max can't touch that. I have found that the Mamba ESC is very smooth, runs nice and cool, has lots of programming options and is just an all around great system.
Matt
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run the Novak 5.5 in Mod truck. It is very important to gear correctly. If you under gear you have no speed. If you over gear you thermal in no time. Just the right gear and the Novak system is the best mod set up I have ever driven. At this point I still feel brushed motors are better in sedan carpet. I think some cogging helps to run smoother and not have to use the brakes at all. In offroad the brakes are used a lot anyway.
At this point both systems have their place. I will say that I get more time to work on set up when motor maint. isn't a factor.
Cherry is right on with his comparisons.
Later, Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
With fan on, bout the same....
Old 01-31-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Much, Much hotter.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

After seeing the latest prototype brussless systems in action on the race track i have the following to say.

World TC championship will be in Italy in 6 months time, still quite a lot of development time for the brushless motors.
I don't think there will be a single Brushed motor in the top ten if they don't find something big because the development of the brushless systems are so fast at the moment.

On the other hand Touring cars are too fast now and something need to be done to control the speeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.