Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet Knife 3.2R, T-Fource, or RC12L4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Carpet Knife 3.2R, T-Fource, or RC12L4

The Carpet Knife 3.2R, T-Fource, or RC12L4? Which car should i get for mostly carpet racing?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

The good news is, you really can't make a bad choice. They are all awesome. Personally, I like to reward the original creators of the best 12th scale cars: Team Associated. Everyone else pretty much copies them with slight variations. I just bought a 12L4 and could not be happier with it. It is so smooth.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

T-Force very similar to the 12l4 but already includes lowered rear pod

I also like the feel of the damper tubes better than the damper plate but that really is personel prefference

Oh i use a bmi converted 12l4 you could take a look at that too ..... very nice
Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

There isn't really such thing as a slow 12th scale. Pick a side; T-bar or pivot ball. I like T-bar for asphalt and pivot ball for carpet. In anycase, comparing a T-fource to a Rc12L4, definately go for the T-fource. You get the lowered pods. But you also have the option of running T-bar only and T-bar with tweak springs. You can even back out the tweak screws on the T-bar and rely on springs and damper tubes for side to side movement! Why settle for T-bar only Rc12L4? Still, the RC12L4 is no slouch, but the T-fource gives you more tuning options.

Something else to consider. I find some of the aftermarket upgrade chassis way over rated. Not to list any of them cause it'll start a riot. A lot of them have very minor differences from the original car (ie, a base RC12L4). You end up with a car thats pratically the same. Yes in 12th scale, a very minor adjustment can make a big difference in handling. But most of us don't make use of things like lowering a T-bar by .025" I think the most significant conversion is going from T-bar only to a unitune type rear end(CRC tweak springs and damper tubes on top of the t-bar). The bottomline is; if you can't make the A-main with a 12L4/t-fource/rev4/knife, etc, etc; a conversion kit is NOT going to put you there!

My top picks:
Carpet: Rev4, Knife, T-fource is fine too
Asphalt: T-fource, or L3/L4 with or without unitune rear end.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

My son and I have 3 total and like them all!!!!

2 T-force
1 RC12L3
Old 10-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
T-Force very similar to the 12l4 but already includes lowered rear pod

I also like the feel of the damper tubes better than the damper plate but that really is personel prefference

Oh i use a bmi converted 12l4 you could take a look at that too ..... very nice
actually on the T-Force there are two different versions that CRC sells. you only get the lowered pod plates on the Team RED Ed. CRC does make a standard edition T-Force that has the same axle height plates as a 12L4 for $149.99 off their site
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My son and I have the t-fource team red edition and we love them.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

i was in the situation like this few months ago. i went with the T FOURCE and very happy. its like an L4 with blings and more tuning option
Old 10-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I know this is compairing apples and oranges but which of the two would be eaiser to setup, a tc or a 1/12th scale?

I'm considering entering the 12th scale world but I'm not looking for a headache to setup.

And when I do take this plunge what tools would I need? Like would a tweak board be nessacary? I know I'll need a 12th scale arbor but anything else?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

12th scale is easy to set up. Most of the time, it consists of adjusting 2 Tbar screws. 12th scale is easy to build, inexpensive, durable, consistant, and you'll be practicing/racing more than spending time in the pits.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks Katana Man for the reply. I'm leaning towards the l4 becuase of the parts support but the T plate scares me due to my inablity to drive. which leads me to the Carpet Knives... what models do you have expreience with?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 12ths

T-Fource still has a T-plate, too. My buddy runs a T-Fource and loves it, I could never seem to make it work and stick with the L4. You can't go wrong with either, and so many parts are interchangeable, that parts support shouldn't really be a factor. Maybe go to the local track and see which model is more prevalent. You'll have access to parts and support to set ups through the local racers. Good luck, have fun, and remember, a perfect set-up may take a lot of track time.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deznuts05
Thanks Katana Man for the reply. I'm leaning towards the l4 becuase of the parts support but the T plate scares me due to my inablity to drive. which leads me to the Carpet Knives... what models do you have expreience with?
All three cars use the AE front-end and AE style diff, so parts support really won't be an issue. They all use the same bearings, bulkhead spacing and bulkhead screw placement etc. Anything you're going to break on those cars can be easily replaced at any hobbystore that carries AE. The only exception is the side links on the 'Knife, but you could just get a few sets of them when you order the car, as they are relatively inexpensive.

You could also give a look at the Rev. 4 from Speedmerchant, similar to the knife in many ways, but different enough to make it handle differently. It includes the big-ring diff lowered pod plates, and a more durable link system than the 'Knife.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

Get yourself a CRC car. The new Team Red cars come with their new Durashock in the kit, as well as dual lowered alum pods, purple + grey racing tires, big ring diff + aluminum hardware... it has all the tools you need to win any race.

Looking at the big races in 2005... the CRC Carpet Knife went 1 - 6 at the ROAR nats and 1-3 at the recent IIC in Vegas.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by insideline
Get yourself a CRC car. The new Team Red cars come with their new Durashock in the kit, as well as dual lowered alum pods, purple + grey racing tires, big ring diff + aluminum hardware... it has all the tools you need to win any race.

Looking at the big races in 2005... the CRC Carpet Knife went 1 - 6 at the ROAR nats and 1-3 at the recent IIC in Vegas.
hi may i please ask if the roar nats were run on asphalt or carpet ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.