Like Tree65Likes

Handout Motors?..2018?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Hand out motors would suck for one race. I could see if it were a series like the ETS. Then that would make it worth while to invest in a handout motor. I also can see where it makes sense to run a Reedy handout motor at the Reedy race. Or at the IIC Muchmore sponsored the 21.5 armature class to race a muchmore handout motor. But for roar races. I think it's better to allow roar approved motors to race at roar events. Otherwise their is no point in having Roar approved motors
Well said
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Can you stop assuming the numbers actually are up everywhere? It's great that some big events in the US are getting healthy numbers, but that doesn't automatically mean club racing is just as healthy. Not to mention that there's a world of racing outside USA. If everything was great, we wouldn't have lost Novak, seen LRP struggle with bankruptcy, and watched Tamiya kill off their racing program in the last year or 2.
I have noticed in the last three years that club racing is struggling. . Many tracks in ny area have points series races which helps interest for those race days.

Over the last 3-4 years I know people who have left or decreased racing due to the continuing increasing cost.

Some of them may have run multiple classes Buggy ,Wheeler, VTA ,GT now run one.

One of them avoids going to a track they used to go to because He doesnt want to buy all new batteries and a motor to compete..

Ive pretty much givin up on racing Offroad .My Buggy is is a TLR22 1.25 and my wheeler is a 22-4 ( im sure the 22-4 3.0 is on the way soon) and I need new Motor for both.
So all toll I have to buy four New motors this Fall a 25.5 (still have a Novak, 21.5 ( have the first Mcode,still a decent motor), 17.5 (3 yr Revtech) 13.5 (old LRP)

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 08-11-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT
you didn't read the new rules I take it. There are much more changes than just min. IR values.
I read the new rules, and I realize there are more items than IR in there. My meaning was that all of the other items that I mentioned could have been included, since they have been known for many years.

I have edited my previous post to rectify my error.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

You clearly don't know who howardcano is. He's the guy that does the ROAR approval tests.
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
ESC approvals
To be entirely accurate, I do the ESC electrical testing as an independent test lab. I don't issue any approvals. That is still up to ROAR's executive committee.

While it would certainly speed up the process if I were to handle both testing and approval, it would mean that no one would be checking for errors in my work, and would also create an opportunity for me to do some dastardly deeds in cahoots with a manufacturer. I'm trustworthy enough to not do the latter, but I do make plenty of errors, as we have just proven.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so the best option right now is for us to try different methods to see where it leads us.

So handout motors here, spec motors there, open motors somewhere...but it seems that no matter what we disagree on, we all agree on this....

We as racers must and should support each other whether we agree or not. Some are taking a big risk in an effort to solve the solution, others are willing to make changes to the local club scene, while others are trying to put out a motor by the Sept 1st deadline.

Lets see how it all unfolds and lets hope one of these is the right way for Onroad RC Racing
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Can you stop assuming the numbers actually are up everywhere? It's great that some big events in the US are getting healthy numbers, but that doesn't automatically mean club racing is just as healthy. Not to mention that there's a world of racing outside USA. If everything was great, we wouldn't have lost Novak, seen LRP struggle with bankruptcy, and watched Tamiya kill off their racing program in the last year or 2.

if you look at the quote its a question...and imo, the 17.5 TC numbers are up at events here in the US and Canada....and thats basically what Im looking at....and as far as Novak?...are you sure you have your facts?...and LRP? I have no idea? and Tamiya, well it was a shock to some...but companys come and go for different reasons...maybe just dont want to do it anymore...maybe I want to retire and I dont trust anyone with my brand that I built from the ground up...j/s

and if your club racing isnt healthy....you need to fix it on a local level. You keep your racing going by any means....if thats having a lock time motor or spec motor...or running a cheaper class like Mini, or having gentlemen rules to keep racers coming back...there are plenty of ways to make it work, and its up to the locals to do it. If my club is in danger, sorry but the national level can kick rocks.....work on your club to keep your locals happy and coming back...or region too

Sometimes it actually is the motor. After spending 18 months being a second per lap behind most of the front runners despite having as good as or better consistency (using a Reedy M2) I finally bought an R1. Instantly made up that 1 second deficit and started battling with the faster guys.

But yes, I've seen guys with decent motors still blaming the motor, switching motors every other race.
true, Im in the same boat...but still with the slower motor...trying all kinds of crazy FDR's and timing to make up for the HP...is it working?...sometimes, would I rather drop a New Gen motor in and make up some speed heck yeah....but Im under contract and loyal to my brand, and I have unbelievable patients lol..(ive got girls)...

Originally Posted by nwagner
You don't have to wait very long for an answer, you will get one next week when registration opens whether the 17.5'ers are willing to accept it. I'm not a big gun but TC is the class of choice for me, and I'm willing to see how it goes.
I hope it works out....and by it being one of the oldest onroad events around, Im sure it will do fine....
Old 08-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

last thing....

wondering if the New Gen motors is the reason for the increase in 17.5 entries?...here is a thought

Im slow in 17.5 TC, I get a new motor, now Im a podium driver...I feel a certain way with my new found speed and CONFIDENCE in the arena. So locally Im up there with the big guns...and I feel good enough to take a shot at the Birds, or Champs...but before my New Gen motor...nah, club racing was my limit....

could these faster motors really build a racer up to feel like he/she can compete at the National level?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
last thing....

wondering if the New Gen motors is the reason for the increase in 17.5 entries?...here is a thought

Im slow in 17.5 TC, I get a new motor, now Im a podium driver...I feel a certain way with my new found speed and CONFIDENCE in the arena. So locally Im up there with the big guns...and I feel good enough to take a shot at the Birds, or Champs...but before my New Gen motor...nah, club racing was my limit....

could these faster motors really build a racer up to feel like he/she can compete at the National level?
With all your whining about you do not want an handout motor you excactly explain why a handout is good. Let me translate your text:

Im slow with my 21.5 in the 17.5 TC, I get a 13.5, now Im a podium driver...

The meaning (so as I see it and with me many others) of a 17.5 or any other spec/stock class is that there must not be a faster and a slower 17.5 motor but all as good as equal. I say "as good as equal" because someone in this topic explained that all equal is not going to happen but with a one brand handout it will be much better equal than now with brand differences and tuning options. As we here in Europe also run with an FDR limit it is all about the driver setting up and driving his car and not to have the fastest motor.

Are you afraid you will loose the game under such rules? Go to run modified!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
ROAR is probably going to be dropping the names Stock and pro stock. It will just be called wind Spec class (17.5 Spec) (21.5 Spec) etc. There is no such thing as a stock class anymore.

EA
FINALLY!!!! I've been saying this for years.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
With all your whining about you do not want an handout motor you excactly explain why a handout is good. Let me translate your text:

Im slow with my 21.5 in the 17.5 TC, I get a 13.5, now Im a podium driver...

The meaning (so as I see it and with me many others) of a 17.5 or any other spec/stock class is that there must not be a faster and a slower 17.5 motor but all as good as equal. I say "as good as equal" because someone in this topic explained that all equal is not going to happen but with a one brand handout it will be much better equal than now with brand differences and tuning options. As we here in Europe also run with an FDR limit it is all about the driver setting up and driving his car and not to have the fastest motor.

Are you afraid you will loose the game under such rules? Go to run modified!
1st, Im not whining, Im way better than that...and if you knew me you would know that, but since you are there, and Im here...oh well...its a question/example, not whining....2nd your translation is incorrect, I gave an example as it is written not as you see it. 3rd, I dont recall anyone incl myself saying the motors are all the same...The New Gen motors are better...we all know that.

The statment you type suggest that a lock time motor and FDR will make for even playing field...my question to you is, are all driver the same?...once again a question?..follow along, if you say no, then why should all the equipment be the same?...it still isnt a equal playing field...some racers practice and push to the limit, and still dont get to the next level. So if all things we say here that the lock time/spec motor will only put people in the same dang spot they was in to begin with...the only difference will be the "tool" they bought to give them the make up for lack of skill...

and last...seriously...do I even give you any notion at all that afraid of anything other than worms?...Mod TC is great..if you can hang on..Ive tried and enjoyed it...plan on doing it this Sunday too...along with anything else to keep my local car count up...VTA GT F1 17.5 TC...no 12th scale , nope not my Kool-aid
Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
The statment you type suggest that a lock time motor and FDR will make for even playing field...my question to you is, are all driver the same
My answer: NO!

But hey, if all (top)drivers run that 150 dollar motor optimized with 150 dollar of tuning options then they all will end up with an almost same performing motor. What is the difference compared with an all equal 50 dollar motor? Yes that 250 dollar!
And it stays with 50 dollar because you can not build up a serie of motors, you are just getting one from handout.

Beside that, with your open type of stock class people still think money can buy faster laptimes while for most drivers getting a faster motor is not always making a difference if they have not the knowledge and skils to get everyting out ot the chassis and their driving.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

so here we are....
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not understanding something.

You call handout motor a motor someone mandated (I'm following), that you have to buy to run that class(I'm lost) and keep it afterwards(verily lost).

Then if my understanding is right, you bought a disposable motor not a handout motor.

I thought a handout motor was something the track loans and you pay a fee or something and then return at the end of the event. That way the race director only has to have enough motors to fill the main(s) at designated handout classes, for example 10 motors for a full TC main then those motors are returned at the end of the main to be loaned to the next handout main while Mod or other non handout class is racing their main.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
To be entirely accurate, I do the ESC electrical testing as an independent test lab. I don't issue any approvals. That is still up to ROAR's executive committee.

While it would certainly speed up the process if I were to handle both testing and approval, it would mean that no one would be checking for errors in my work, and would also create an opportunity for me to do some dastardly deeds in cahoots with a manufacturer. I'm trustworthy enough to not do the latter, but I do make plenty of errors, as we have just proven.
I found a photo of Howard's twin brother, Dick Dastardly.

But in all seriousness, Howard has taught me so much on this forum, he's one of the really good guys!!!!
howardcano likes this.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

I prefer that we dont need to buy a handout motor for special races.
I would rather have a motor where all Manufacturers make the same design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.