Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

<<<< yawning and wants to race
hanulec likes this.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I'm not understanding something.

You call handout motor a motor someone mandated (I'm following), that you have to buy to run that class(I'm lost) and keep it afterwards(verily lost).

Then if my understanding is right, you bought a disposable motor not a handout motor.

I thought a handout motor was something the track loans and you pay a fee or something and then return at the end of the event. That way the race director only has to have enough motors to fill the main(s) at designated handout classes, for example 10 motors for a full TC main then those motors are returned at the end of the main to be loaned to the next handout main while Mod or other non handout class is racing their main.
With most systems you buy a motor with payning the organisation like the ROAR the determed price, the motors are marked with your name or number. They provide you the motor in the morning and you return it at the end of the day. Until the next race the motors are cheacked (should be) and the next race you will get it again. At the end of the season with the last race you can keep the motor. The organisation also has some spares in case of extra single event drivers and faulty motors.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
With most systems you buy a motor with payning the organisation like the ROAR the determed price, the motors are marked with your name or number. They provide you the motor in the morning and you return it at the end of the day. Until the next race the motors are cheacked (should be) and the next race you will get it again. At the end of the season with the last race you can keep the motor. The organisation also has some spares in case of extra single event drivers and faulty motors.
That's how the ETS are done right? I thought that if you raced again be it a series or event you got to pick a motor from the handout pool, not keeping yours to tinker with.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Tech Lord

With ETS I am not sure, I have heard stories about people changing motors several times as they did not comply with the wanted specs but that was with the crappy SP motors.

Over here with club and national racing we did get our own motor.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
.but Im under contract and loyal to my brand, and I have unbelievable patients lol..(ive got girls)...
So, you are doctor? I got this ache, you know... maybe you could...? Or do you actually have patience rather than patients? (Sorry, could not resist, after reading the "livery" comment somewhere else earlier.)
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
So, you are doctor? I got this ache, you know... maybe you could...? Or do you actually have patience rather than patients? (Sorry, could not resist, after reading the "livery" comment somewhere else earlier.)
lol...I needed that...voice control doesn't know the difference between patients and patience ....really rough day dealing with patience
Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

It's all this kind of garbage that makes me glad I don't go to big races.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Initiate

It seems with any group activity several things are going on here.

One, that cost or complexity is being considered as important.
Two, that fairness or the motor heavily determines the outcome.

What if a manufacturer hands out their $100+ motor at events for $40. You have to compete in the event to get that price(adds value to the event). Its only that class that the motor is used for and doesn't necessarily hurt their sales elsewhere. Other sports do similar things, such as offer unattainable prices on superior products limited to the participation of the event only. Creates a better experience overall. The experience matters more than the cost. Its not a paperweight when you take it home. Even if you sell it as "one race only" the net loss for the manufacturer is minimal. Perhaps its almost as good as their good motor. Maybe the last gen motor, so reasonably competitive at the club level.

There are always going to be those that tire of chasing the best next thing. They want to just go, be reasonably competitive and have a good time. Certainly not all classes should have hand outs, but if certain classes are heavily regulated, but don't remove the individuality of picking your own motor, while others are hand outs and others still are anything goes, so long as each group of racers are able to find their niche, participation will be good. Access counts more than anything else. How accessible is our sport?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

IMHO, I kind of like having choices. When there is parity or competition between motor companies, manufacturers have incentives to make better products. I think the faster guys are still going to be fast no matter what motor is dished out. What happens next? Look at what is happening in Europe. Not only do they use hand out motors in most cases, they also use hand out ESC's. Then you're spending even more to race.

Last edited by bertottius; 08-14-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

I will make a comment totally off the wall.
Wouldn't it be great if the powers to be that run the four majors could get together on this subject. Select handout classes and 17.5, 21.5 and 25.5 classes would be a great start. Select a handout pool of motors for the year for those classes. The motors would be bid by the manufacturers for fame and glory. First event entered you pay a fee for the motor use and that decreases at each event you attend in the class. The cost/profit for the motors gets divided based on usage between the promoters with a formula to be determined. This would be the hardest part as the attendance varies with each event. The idea is to keep the cost down for the racer since that has been a major comment here.
Getting the program directors to get together would be the first major hurdle. I personally think it would be great for the hobby. Maybe next year.
mackin, DARKSIDE and dave-man like this.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertottius
IMHO, I kind of like having choices. When there is parody or competition between motor companies, manufacturers have incentives to make better products. I think the faster guys are still going to be fast no matter what motor is dished out. What happens next? Look at what is happening in Europe. Not only do they use hand out motors in most cases, they also use hand out ESC's. Then you're spending even more to race.
I think you mean parity.

Parody is making a joke out of something....
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Tech Lord

In Europe we do not use handout ESC's (not that I know off) but in many stock competitiones we alow just one or 2 listed ESC's and in other competitions blinky.

But it seems there are 2 groups thinking different about a stock/spec class

1) get as an equal possible powerplant and make the most out of te car setup and driving

2) get a motor within the rules like a 17.5 turns and try to let it run as "a 3.5 turns" with all possible options and tweaks within (or outside) the rules.

Handout is all about group 1 and most here I think are within group 2. I am pretty sure when all your 17.5/21.5/25.5 classes were started they all had the idea to comply with group 1 but due the more open rules group 2 drivers were formed.

Sorry to say, group 2 is all about:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
whityboy and Laguna Bozo like this.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I think you mean parity.

Parody is making a joke out of something....
Thanks for the grammar lesson
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

/thread
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
In Europe we do not use handout ESC's (not that I know off) but in many stock competitiones we alow just one or 2 listed ESC's and in other competitions blinky.

But it seems there are 2 groups thinking different about a stock/spec class

1) get as an equal possible powerplant and make the most out of te car setup and driving

2) get a motor within the rules like a 17.5 turns and try to let it run as "a 3.5 turns" with all possible options and tweaks within (or outside) the rules.

Handout is all about group 1 and most here I think are within group 2. I am pretty sure when all your 17.5/21.5/25.5 classes were started they all had the idea to comply with group 1 but due the more open rules group 2 drivers were formed.

Sorry to say, group 2 is all about:
Well I like both approaches so I start in two classes (13.5 blinky, the same motor and 17.5 blinky with mechanical timing allowed as well as outlaw motors i.e. Sting). Both are fun and in both classes the best drivers wins.

However it can be clearly seen that motor does not give you a winning place as the drivers with the same motors score different places and winner is not always a driver with the newest motor/chassis.

I would say that only those who put max effort (whatever terms - time, money) have a chance to win and that's obvious - track time and talent cannot be bought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.