Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

Handout Motors?..2018?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Suspended

This thread is moving faster than a 17.5 with IR in the low 17s. I can't keep up
Marcos.J, mackin and chensleyrc1 like this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You want a hand out motor? You want to have exactly the number needed for every event? When the event is announced go ahead and declare what the "hand out" will be. Not necessarily the brand but just the type or wind. All entries into that class bring the designated motor with them and when it's time they all go in a pot and each driver pulls one. Make a master list with names and numbers so nobody gets their own motor. If a racer is also part of the event organization then he(they) pick last just to add an extra level of integrity to the process. Race and have fun and when it's over the driver keeps the motor for the next race of this type. I don't think that anyone would intentionally drop in a dud or a grenade since the master list would take the motor straight back to the donor. This works pretty well and at no additional cost to the promoters and no slight, intended or otherwise to any of the motor manufacturers. An additional benefit to the racers is that if events keep to the same class or motor for this process they won't have to wind up getting an "overweight" permit for their conveyance just for hauling all the additional motors with them.
GrandeGixxer and scirocco14 like this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The next trick for TC will be getting us to spec fdr. This is kinda too hard to do right inexpensively...
Once that is fixed then every race will be more fair, like an ETS event
Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Just do what they did in the brushed days (,Roar 91,95,98 )

Have Ridged specifications for a class of Motor, defined in every dimension . No Innovation Possible for 4 year, all the Manufactuerers can make them for stock classes (25.5, 21.5. 17.5 )

Then you would buy a motor when it wears out , loses magnetism whatever.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The best / closest racing we've seen in Region 2 for the last 5 years is the current Jackson Club Spec TC

Same motor
5.0 FDR limited
Super close racing with more variety of winners and top 5 than we've seen in Maryland or NJ on years..
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Have Cosworth make spec V8s that rev to 18,000 rpm. Not some pos hybrid V6.
Oh wait wrong series...

Screw it let's just run mod. Natural limitations through driver induced self-elimination.
miller tyme likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am becoming more and more of the opinion that people should run mod. I have had the same mod motor for five years. In the LiPo era nobody has ever lost a mod race and said that they would have won if they had more power.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
The best / closest racing we've seen in Region 2 for the last 5 years is the current Jackson Club Spec TC

Same motor
5.0 FDR limited
Super close racing with more variety of winners and top 5 than we've seen in Maryland or NJ on years..
Yes , and Spec racing Classes are very well Defined ( and used to be Cheaper. IDK if that could happen in todays world)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dates: ROAR approvals need to change to 1 time per year. Period. Done. All electronics and batteries included. Review it once, vote on it, call it a day. Then membership will mean something again.

XXXX of the month can wait 11 months.
miller tyme, LOW ET and No9 like this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

FDR doesnt work, been there with VTA(4.2)....pulleys can and are changed...so a normal intrenal on a AE car at 2.0, can be changed to 2.2 or 1.8 with aftermarket pulleys.

getting all the promoters to decide on a common motor for a specific class is the best option, but those motors would need to be a traveling batch. Racers if giving the chance to take the motors home will take a shot at making it faster.

now I will say this...example if Thunder said the Trinity Lock time motor was the spec motor for 17.5...and our normal club guys are running it and EA is still winning lol...what if we have a out of towner by and want to run?...is he going to be able to race?....will he have to buy a Trinity motor, or do we let him run what he has....but maybe he is running the new gen motor and spanks us with it cause we are stuck running this lock time motor?...what does that do for you locals?...are they cool with it, or a little butt-hurt cause of a lost to an outsider
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
FDR doesnt work, been there with VTA(4.2)....pulleys can and are changed...so a normal intrenal on a AE car at 2.0, can be changed to 2.2 or 1.8 with aftermarket pulleys.

getting all the promoters to decide on a common motor for a specific class is the best option, but those motors would need to be a traveling batch. Racers if giving the chance to take the motors home will take a shot at making it faster.

now I will say this...example if Thunder said the Trinity Lock time motor was the spec motor for 17.5...and our normal club guys are running it and EA is still winning lol...what if we have a out of towner by and want to run?...is he going to be able to race?....will he have to buy a Trinity motor, or do we let him run what he has....but maybe he is running the new gen motor and spanks us with it cause we are stuck running this lock time motor?...what does that do for you locals?...are they cool with it, or a little butt-hurt cause of a lost to an outsider
So, the natural law of talent will all ways prove it self out? Yes it will.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

now thats a point I made 6 months ago...I think its a way to flush 17.5 TC guys to run Mod TC....

I also think its a way to kill 21.5 TC, which is a pointless class imo..sorry #USVTA4Life dont need it..

I cant imagine the true 17.5 guys running some bs motor that 9/10 isnt on their t-shirt and paying for it out of pocket?...Think about it...you a sponsored top RC racer, and you get all your stuff discounted or free and now you want me to spend $50 on a motor?....thats slow...oh heck no, Ill rather run GT or Mod, and keep my sponsors happy
Antimullet likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Maybe my history of hand out brushed motors is different from others. Wayyy back when we had hand out brushed motors you would normally buy all the motors that you could for each class. So if it was 1 class it would be 3 hand out motors @ a price of 35-45 dollars each...105 or 135 dollars just in motors. Now then you had to hunt down the "hot" brush....then you had to play with what cut or shape you needed to do to many sets of brushes until you had the right combo...and then play with springs....probably 30-40$ or so in brushes and springs unless you knew what was up. So now your looking at 140 or 180 dollars in parts to make your brushed motors work...just for 1 class. This isnt counting all the outside equipment that you needed....Dyno, Lathe, Magnet Zapper and something to twist the comm....oops

Flash forward to today...races are offering hand out brushless motors for 45-60 dollars and limiting it to 1 motor. Then all you need to do is install said motor in your car and race not worry about anyone from Team Z that got something figured out right before the race and is able to hang a tenth or two on the field.

The problem IMO comes when your comparing the locked timing motor to your hotness tuned motor...yes its not even close. BUT for the race that you had to use the hand out motor was the racing better or was the experience better because of the perception of no motor war? I see both sides of the debate but dont forget where we are and where we came from. If you never had to buy hand out reedy brushed motors back in the day consider yourself lucky they sat in the bottom of pit bags collecting body clips for years....my point was that not all hand out brushed motors were "awesome" and could be raced when you got back home to your local track. There will never be any way to align the nation with hand out motors for every race. Each race promoter has his connections and they should use them for their own gain....this is the way it worked with brushed motors and no one really complained not sure why now its an issue. Other than we have a lot of newer racers that never had to deal with what went down in the past.

The only way to settle this and smooth this out is to have a format like the ETS....Locked motor, ESC and a machine that measures the FDR of the car at the wheel. Until these FDR testing machines are available nationwide at a reasonable price we are going to be where we are at now. Yes you can do all kinds of things at the local level but to make this happen at the national level there are too many cooks in the kitchen to make a stew thats worth eating.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not sure I agree with some of the responses on cost when it comes to big events, especially when you see how much the average racer has tied up in the car, radio and electronics not to mention travel, food and lodging. $40, IMO doesn't seem like an unreasonable expense and the TC guys are already used to having to purchase spec tires at most events which will normally get binned or given away as soon as the event is over.

Personally, I'd rather pay the $40 for a tested motor and not have to spend an hour in line with a handful of parts hoping I get everything together in the correct order before I leave tech. This is no way a knock against events that have motor teardown or the people doing that thankless job. Just a preference on my part.
Kevin K and mackin like this.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

can somebody tell me why the numbers are up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.