Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bushing Reamers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bushing Reamers

Any suggestions on a good bushing reamer, or reamer set. Going through McMaster Carr you could go blind trying to find the right one.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

These guys sell one

http://www.teamhurricane.net/
Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

I got one from McMaster Carr and it works great. The item number is 2995A61.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

I use Brad's reamer from Team Hurricane. Works very well...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

thanks all... nice job this weekend at the Jam Lino. Still running your packs and they had tons of rip.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

I prefer a 1/8 inch single cut chain saw file for around $2.00 from the local tool store. I uasually buy a couple to be sure I get the exact size I'm looking for. The file is about 10in. long so it fits all the way through the can and endbell at the same time. You not only end up with clearanced bushings, but they are aligned so the arm is straight in the can.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Your wasting your time....don't ream the bushings...I don't do it....

Later EddieO
Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Whats wrong with using a 1/8th reamer then Eddie O
Old 01-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default reaming

I don't know what Eddie's expierence is with reaming, but when I tried to do it, (and I used a drill press so it was straight) it made the opening too loose and the armiture would "vibrate" slightly. and I think it caused ill performance. Since then, I just polish the armiture and make sure I use a bushing lube (slightly heavier then say a bearing oil) about once a night (for 3 races) and that seems to give better performance then reaming.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

If yer going to do anything, just polish the arm.....and then lube really well...

We don't polish or ream the bushings anymore....

Why? Reaming isn't something thats EASY....in fact, your 99% more likely to do it incorrectly than to do it right....and even if you do it correctly, I still don't think it does anything worth a crap....

Polishing the bushings would be better in my mind......but it has the fatal flaw, that the bushings are very very pourous, so you can never get all the polishing compound residue out of the bushing....

A properly broke in motor will have the bushings broken in by normal wear.....just make sure they are fully seated in the holes before running the motor the first time.....

As for results.....not a single of the stock titles or tqs in the signature below had the bushings reamed or polished....so if we can do it at a national race against some of the best in the world, I am pretty sure you will be just fine at your local club race or two day event.

Later EddieO
Old 01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Legend

Default Have to agree with Eddie

A great way to break the bushing in is to oil & run the motor on a Demel for about three minutes....

This works very good , and will not cus the bushing to be worn to the point of slop....
Old 01-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am glad EddieO chimed in on this topic, as I agree with his statements- you are more likely to accidentally open the bushing TOO much, resulting in power-robbing vibration. IMO, you are better off polishing both ends of the armature shafts and lubricating...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Heck, my bushings seem to wear out fast enough, I don't need to help them along.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

The biggest problem with the procedure is that if you only have one size reamer you are stuck with what you get. I find shafts can very from motor type to motor type and from batch to batch. The first thing you need to due is check the dia. of the shaft against the tool you intend to use. Be sure you don't have a problem before you start. Core's and MVP's always seem to have a very tight can bushing. ( handout motors) Epic stuff seems to be alot better than 2-3 years ago and probally doesn't need to be reamed. I would be more likely to run a new Epic motor for 30mins with a fan to size the bushings prior to any reaming, they are pretty close to start with. Even the slightest oversize and you are replacing bushings. I can't tell you how many motors I've checked for people at races due to poor performance only to find a loose fitting arm. It's the first I look for when a motor falls off. Unless you own a pair a micrometers and really know your stuff I'd stay away from it!