Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vafactor

Looking into getting back into 12 scale on road

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Looking into getting back into 12 scale on road

So I am considering on considering on getting back into the on-road scene, and I would like to know some of your opinions about some of the pan cars.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought an RC12R5.2 used on eBay several months ago and it is way faster than I am. Hasn't broken anything despite my repeated attempts to send it air born- I mean I have destroyed two bodies in the course of my awful driving and the chassis just shows a loose screw every now and then. 1S 17.5 racing on carpet is very fun, relatively low cost, and surprisingly fast.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

More so than anything other class find out what is used at your local track by the fast guys and buy one. I had an Xray, it didn't work at all well for me, the other guys at the track all used different cars (apart from one who had hugely modified his Xray). I struggled a lot despite all their help and advice.

Moved to a Roche (better car in my honest opinion) and not only did I have an in depth body of knowledge to draw upon of what worked on that car at what track etc. I also got parts when I would have been going home because of breakages.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ravage
So I am considering on considering on getting back into the on-road scene, and I would like to know some of your opinions about some of the pan cars.
Most all of the current cars are really good and capable of running up front. Two things are very important when deciding on which one to go with. A - a ready supply of replacement parts is key, so its best if you pick a car that is well supported by your local shop. B- it is also a good idea to run the same car that is a popular choice among the more experienced racers at your track. That way, if you break something and need a spare, hopefully the shop will have what you need or perhaps somebody can lend you the part you need. And if you need setup assistance, that works best if you are on the same car as the experienced guys run.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ravage
If you are racing on black carpet, I would go with the New AE car or the new XRay. If you are on a budget, you can not beat the CRC line for the cost. Also what Vafactor said above.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
If you are racing on black carpet, I would go with the New AE car or the new XRay. If you are on a budget, you can not beat the CRC line for the cost. Also what Vafactor said above.
New CRC kits can be had for almost $100 less than the new X-ray or the new AE, and CRC based cars continue to win their share of major races. So it is not really necessary to spend a small fortune to build up a competitive ride. Don't get me wrong, the X-ray, the AE, the Roche, the Destiny, the Yokomo, etc........they are each really nice cars, but they all cost somewhere between $270 and $300. Meanwhile the CRCs still sell for well under $200.
OVA and chensleyrc1 like this.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

definitely would go CRC if you're getting back into it. ALWAYS a competitive platform. but like has been said there are other good 12th scale chassis available. one thing about roche/destiny, parts arent as easily accessible. i'm pretty sure xray, the new AE and yokomo have parts more available