Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Racing Ken Block 2015 Ford Fiesta ST RX43 WR8 Flux

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI Racing Ken Block 2015 Ford Fiesta ST RX43 WR8 Flux

Good Day,

I'm about to buy this car. I am coming from Heli's and Drones. I'd like to know from owners of the same car. What are the immediate upgrades you think I should go with. If possible if you could provide links to the parts that would also be of great help.

I've read items like the steering system and servo, perhaps even the ESC.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

What's the part number for that model? HPI discontinued a bunch of the Ken Block WR8 awhile back. Just want to make sure it's not discontinued because parts may be hard to get for it down the road.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not really related but I have a 2016 Fiesta ST (the real one). Amazing little cars.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

eBay has been best source for parts for it.

I've got 2 of them. Solid vehicle overall both of mine are mostly still stock. While I haven't changed servo yet, I've read of a number of them that have. And sounds like makes big improvement.
The only real issue I've had with it is the stock ESC. Gone through 3, 4th is headed that way.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wareagle84
What's the part number for that model? HPI discontinued a bunch of the Ken Block WR8 awhile back. Just want to make sure it's not discontinued because parts may be hard to get for it down the road.
Its the current model being sold on Towerhobbies. I bought it last night, was too impatient.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FloridaST
Not really related but I have a 2016 Fiesta ST (the real one). Amazing little cars.
I also got the 2016 model, got it three months ago. I almost bought the Focus RS. But decided against it. I live in South Africa.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
eBay has been best source for parts for it.

I've got 2 of them. Solid vehicle overall both of mine are mostly still stock. While I haven't changed servo yet, I've read of a number of them that have. And sounds like makes big improvement.
The only real issue I've had with it is the stock ESC. Gone through 3, 4th is headed that way.
What is good alternative ESC?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its a great car. Just make sure to get extra set of tires cause they wear pretty fast, say 10 2s packs and the foam is showing. On 3s maybe half that. That is strictly parking lot running.

The steering servo is slow and weak. It works fine but if you race any other rc's you will want to upgrade it. The Protek 100ss from Amain works well but the lead is a little short so you should get a short servo extension right away. You will also want to switch to the heavier servo saver insert that comes with the car.

Will eventually need the HD diff,center diff and gear shaft cups and extra center drive shafts. If you run on dirt they will last longer.

I am currently running Panther rear buggy slicks in soft compound with aka foams in them on stock wheels. I had to trim the inside ribs off the foams to get the right tire profile but they seem to be wearing better than the stock tires. Only have 8 2s packs on them but they still look good. Probably won't get to run it again until spring to see how long they last.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Fastz28
Its a great car. Just make sure to get extra set of tires cause they wear pretty fast, say 10 2s packs and the foam is showing. On 3s maybe half that. That is strictly parking lot running.

The steering servo is slow and weak. It works fine but if you race any other rc's you will want to upgrade it. The Protek 100ss from Amain works well but the lead is a little short so you should get a short servo extension right away. You will also want to switch to the heavier servo saver insert that comes with the car.

Will eventually need the HD diff,center diff and gear shaft cups and extra center drive shafts. If you run on dirt they will last longer.

I am currently running Panther rear buggy slicks in soft compound with aka foams in them on stock wheels. I had to trim the inside ribs off the foams to get the right tire profile but they seem to be wearing better than the stock tires. Only have 8 2s packs on them but they still look good. Probably won't get to run it again until spring to see how long they last.

Thanks, will definitely look. Where did you get the cups and drive shafts from? You have a link?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by semaphore
What is good alternative ESC?
One of mine now has a 1/8 Castle Sidewinder system. The other I'm not sure what I'll try next. Stayed with stock cause they were cheap.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool. Well i'll hopefully get my car in the first week of the new year. After which ill get familiar with it. I'd like to replace most of the plastic parts with metal eventually.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by semaphore
Cool. Well i'll hopefully get my car in the first week of the new year. After which ill get familiar with it. I'd like to replace most of the plastic parts with metal eventually.
Try not to get caught up in the Aluminum must be better way of thinking. Plastic has some flex to it. Aluminum can just bend. I've added few shinny bits yo one of mine. Mostly just to try. And back early on parts were a struggle to find. Many times the aluminum was only option.
Other then the esc failures. Front bumper and hub carriers have been most common break. Hubs have been both stock and aluminum.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

After coveting one of these for years, I finally picked one up last week. I sold all of my 2WD buggies, 4WD buggies and short course trucks so I'm using the WR8 to replace 6 vehicles. It seems perfect for the parking garage, dirt roads, snow-covered roads and gravel-filled parking lots that I run in.

For those people that have burned through ESCs, was that running 3S or 2S? I plan to stay 2S, but you never know....
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a tendency to upgrade my cars as I go. This is the one car I haven't touched except for adjusting the shocks and changing the wheels for different driving surfaces. I have a few euro spec models "digital zebra" which are hard to get in the US so I ordered a few replacement bodies for the shelf when not driving.

Hard car to beat for all around fun.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
After coveting one of these for years, I finally picked one up last week. I sold all of my 2WD buggies, 4WD buggies and short course trucks so I'm using the WR8 to replace 6 vehicles. It seems perfect for the parking garage, dirt roads, snow-covered roads and gravel-filled parking lots that I run in.

For those people that have burned through ESCs, was that running 3S or 2S? I plan to stay 2S, but you never know....
3s. Esc fan would stop working. Then usually few runs later the esc would start acting up. I really can't remember if ever even tried 2s on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.