Wiki Posts
Search

bearing maintainence

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Default bearing maintainence

Hey

i was wondering how you guys clean your bearings .. ive tried using RP7 and motor spray but still havent cleaned them...

they come from an X-Ray t1 and are sealed

any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

use kero dick head
Old 11-21-2002, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

I take the sheilds of both sides of the bearings, spray out the bearing with motor spray, and put a very small drop of trinity royal oil in the bearing. If a bearing is in a hub or any other sheilded area I leave that shield off, it really helps loosen the drivetrain, although it does take lots of maintainance. (I clean them after every raceday)
Old 11-22-2002, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thanx for your advice ...

not you mr4tc... y post when u live upstairs?? ...retard =)
Old 11-22-2002, 03:57 AM
Tech Regular

I take the shields off and put them in a small small paint jar half filled with turpentine. Then I close the lock and shake well. Lubricate and install shields. Works for me.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:46 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Mr4tc
use kero dick head
Well that was a very "friendly" response....you must have come over from the HPI forum cause thats a pretty typical response in that area........pls stay there!

As for cleaning bearings. I normally remove from the car and soak in thinners and use an ultrasonic cleaner. Let them dry out (use a hair dryer if you want to do it quickly)...then a few drops of Trinity Royal oil. Sometimes you may to soak it a couple of times........
Old 11-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

" I normally remove from the car and soak in thinners and use an ultrasonic cleaner."

That's not fair anymore... far to easy and efficient. Ultrasonic cleaners are excellent for armatures as well. Any place selling budget UC-cleaners?
Old 11-22-2002, 05:52 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by JesseT
" I normally remove from the car and soak in thinners and use an ultrasonic cleaner."

That's not fair anymore... far to easy and efficient. Ultrasonic cleaners are excellent for armatures as well. Any place selling budget UC-cleaners?
I'm not sure from where my cleaner originally came from, but they sell it for less than US$10 in RC shops here. It does the job pretty good because I can see all the little bits of dirt resting on the bottom when I take the bearings out!
Old 11-22-2002, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Default Bearing maintenance

RPM & Robinson Racing make bearing "Blasters" that hold 1 bearing inside so you can spray out with cleaner and relube.
They work like a full size bearing packer and "SEAL" the bearing in a cone like device so the cleaner will be forced past the shields/seals. They work really well and much less work than removing the seals/shields.
An Ultrasonic cleaner would probally be the best. You could do all of the bearings at once and leave it unattended to go work on something else while they are cleaning. (I like that idea)

OK, now for my question.
Who makes a REAL Ultrasonic cleaner for a decent price and will allow you to use solvent based cleaners inside. (not water based only)

Thanks,

Last edited by popsracer; 11-22-2002 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

I take off the seals and take put every bearing in a motor tube or a baggy and let them soak all day then i let it all drain out and do it all over agian. The most I have done is 3 times then put a little trinty oil on them. Oh I use motor spray or a heave duty car engine degresre. Any thing that take the greese out will work so you can put your own in.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

So... what's considered a real ultrasonic cleaner...? I'm guessing the one offered by Integy is not one?

What's the best way to remove my metal shields? I really have no idea what to do with them and how to pop them out.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

does anybody use zippo lighter fluid as both a degreaser and a lubricant? i don't, but i've heard that's an easy way to get speed, and that way you don't have multiple chemicals involved in the process. just curious.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

The Integy bearing cleaner tray is definitely not an ultrasonic cleaner. It has a small vibrate motor that rattles the bearings around in the tray. It works surprisingly well. I just spray enough motor spray in the tray to immerse the bearings and flip the switch, wait 10 minutes and the bearings are nice and clean. I use Niftech's light bearing oil but a lot of guys use Mobil1 and swear by it.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

ohh yea ....... mobil 1 rules.... but make sure u really use the mobil one oil not some other 1/2 crap engine oil
Old 11-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey dtm,
criminal is my brother, thats y i called him a dickhead and i dont come from hpi
i race wif xray
l8erz
rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.