Search

Let’s talk about diff balls

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Let’s talk about diff balls

Let’s talk about balls

Diff balls that is. I am just wondering what works the best and lasts the longest. I know that Losi, Associated, and many other companies make 3/32 carbide diff balls. I do not want this to turn into a plug your sponsors thread but I want this to be a question to those that have tried the MANY different brands. What do you like and why.

Also what about the thrust. Many people make those as well. The thrust has major impact on a smooth diff as well. Do you use the molded thrust of the loose ball thrusts. Why. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both. [besides not having the balls roll all over the place while building the diff]

And what about ceramic balls. All I know is that they are lighter. Do they last longer. Are they smoother than their carbide counterparts.

And lastly does any one know of where you can buy the 3/32 diff balls for less than $10 per set. Losi, Associated, and others must be getting them somewhere cheaper, repackaging them, and jacking the price up. Most often I find that if I can buy R/C stuff outside of R/C companies I get a better product at a cheaper price.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

i would also like to know come on guys your opinions please

Last edited by serpentrush; 01-24-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think you need a comma or a period in that statement. It just doesn't sound right!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
I think you need a comma or a period in that statement. It just doesn't sound right!
That's pretty funny........
Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
thanks for the laugh
Old 01-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have always used carbide balls for my diffs unless in a pinch, then steel ones for the moment to get me thru. I'm gonna try some ceramic balls that I just ordered for the first time and see how they work out. You can make a good diff with carbide balls and a little work for sure but I have been hearing real good things about the ceramic balls. When I finish building them and put some time on them I'll post back with my findings. These diffs are gonna be in a BJ4x4 Worlds Edition so they will get a work out.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

how much is the price difference between a carbide and ceramic diff balls? I just got myself some carbide balls for $30 CAD and the ceramic diff ball werent far off in price.

So which one is better than the other?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Between the 2 I would go for ceramics. Can take more heat and is a tad lighter.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

I have ran a few different types but so far I have found Ceramic Nitride diff balls to be the best. They are the smoothest and they last for a lot rebuilds. Acer Racing has the ceramic nitride pro diff balls for about $13 and they last better than carbide. Just keep the diff plates fresh.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Talking

Originally Posted by Jack2
I have ran a few different types but so far I have found Ceramic Nitride diff balls to be the best. They are the smoothest and they last for a lot rebuilds. Acer Racing has the ceramic nitride pro diff balls for about $13 and they last better than carbide. Just keep the diff plates fresh.
thanks but now one of the top guys at the track says that they dont make any difference than the steel balls and they cut through the plate faster than normal balls ? [ you notice any difference ??] or is he pulling a fast one over me
Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by serpentrush
thanks but now one of the top guys at the track says that they dont make any difference than the steel balls and they cut through the plate faster than normal balls ? [ you notice any difference ??] or is he pulling a fast one over me
Well........As to cutting through the plates faster......I haven't seen any difference between steel or ceramic. Steel balls get gritty as they get pitted and scratched after a number of runs. Ceramic balls are very VERY hard.... just clean them and they are smooth again...they won't last forever but I'd say about 8-10 times longer than steel balls.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Rookie

hey guys, how often should i rebuild my diffs? thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Well the largest different with Ceramic is that you'll never have to replace them. They are also closer to perfectly round and the surface of the ceramic ball is smoother. They are also much lighter...you can tell the difference just by holding them in your hand! All this is true if using quality Ceramic diff balls.

They do wear out the diff rings a litter faster...nothing to be concerned about. For example, if your diff rings last you 10 runs with steel balls, you diff rings will last you 8-9 runs with ceramic. The ceramic diff balls are harder so they wear out the rings a little faster.

I have been using Acer Ceramic bearings, diff balls and thrust balls in all my cars for the last 4 years and couldn't be happier. I highlt recommend them (and no, I am not sponsored by them).
Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

hey guys with the diff plates...I hadn't rebuilt it in about a year, so mine had a little groove, so I sanded it down until it was gone with sandpaper, then used a fine grain to polish it out a bit. When I rebuilt it, the diff sounded gritty. It doesnt slip anymore, but the sound gets to me...is it the plate or the steel balls?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Since you are already rebuilding the diff, why not change the balls and the rings as well? The steel balls are not that expensive and it saves you time to dissasemble the car again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.