Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Let’s talk about diff balls >

Let’s talk about diff balls

Let’s talk about diff balls

Old 01-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

ive had carbides in my diffs for over a year and they're still smoother after a rebuild than any new steel balled diff plus you can do the diffs right up without fear of putting a flat on the balls. i want to try ceramics because they're sposed to be a 10th the weight of tungsten and last forever. as for bearings id put ceramics in the drive train but yokomos tend to knacker their hub bearings in the first accident so i use flushed out £1 throwaway steel ones on the extremities and just change then often!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aluma
hey guys with the diff plates...I hadn't rebuilt it in about a year, so mine had a little groove, so I sanded it down until it was gone with sandpaper, then used a fine grain to polish it out a bit. When I rebuilt it, the diff sounded gritty. It doesnt slip anymore, but the sound gets to me...is it the plate or the steel balls?
You want a little grove in the diff rings. You do not want a big one though. Instead of sanding them and polishing them just flip them over and use the other side.

Plus, it's better to not polish diff rings...sand them with a fine grit paper and leave them as is!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

THANKS for all the info . do you mean change them after 10 packs or full race days ?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had already flipped the sides before...and I couldnt find on ebay someone who was selling two sets of plates for the diffs, so I sanded. thanks for the info though.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by serpentrush
THANKS for all the info . do you mean change them after 10 packs or full race days ?
I was only using that analogy as an example saying that if diff rings normally lasted you 10 runs, they last you 8-9 runs with ceramic. I did this to show that Ceramic diff balls wearing out the diff rings is not as big of an issue as many make it out to sound!

I usually only go through 2-3 sets of diff rings every season. That's using the front and back...I always change them way before they go bad.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

I'm with koabitch, Ceramics all the way. I also have the hardest balls and am happy with them, put them in every car I buy and best of all, they're only $10 per diff so it's not like you're ruining yourself buying them... Diffs last longer between rebuilds and never gets very bad, and I dont have an issue with diff rings, mine lasts for about 8 months on the rear diff, and they cost virtually nothing anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

how to do your diffs

diff rebuild