Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future? >

JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
...a whole lot!
Loved every word! When's chapter 2 due on newstands?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can rest assured this is amove towards LiPo technology. With a 2S battery the weight savings is approximately the same as running 4 NiMH cells. Difference being that a 2S LiPo battery has over 8 volts. I'm not sure what they have in mind for reducing the power unless the intention is to extend the racing. Say what you want, but with a good LiPo and highly efficient brushless motor, there would be some really great racing in a 20 minute main. Qualifiers will most likely stay 5-8 minutes. Look at nitro sedans... same qualifying race times but 45 minute A main. The 45 minute main totally changes everything. Just ask Josh or Ralph or Barry. It's like NASCAR in that your strategy and mindset totally changes after qualifying.

Here's my thought- would I enjoy watching Josh and those A main national guys race for 20 minutes instead of 5? In nitro you have flameouts, pit screwups and general crap that usually puts one of them a lap of many laps ahead... Take out those vulnerabilities, put them in a heated or air conditioned carpet track where I can sit back, enjoy the 72 degree room and watch them race like bandits for 20 minutes with probably less than a lap separating the top six cars.... hell YEA!! Sign me up!!!!

Here's one for ya- mod sedans- 2S packs and a limit on brushless motor turns, everything else pretty standard. Stock sedan, same brushless motor turn limit, but battery must be 1S and the main is twice as long as mod. Talk about opeingin up some possibilities!!

China, Japan and Taiwan are the only places lithium polymer batteries are produced. Chew on that for a few minutes.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

I like the idea of single cell brushless

I'm tired of our batteries looking like bombs
Old 01-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
China, Japan and Taiwan are the only places lithium polymer batteries are produced. Chew on that for a few minutes.
Peak 4800 pack says "Made in Korea".
Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had update my FK04 testbed to meet JMRCA 4cells rules. With centerline motor and battery it should be very good to drive in corner. Let's see how it works...
Attached Thumbnails JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?-dscn5441s.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Peak 4800 pack says "Made in Korea".
Made in Korea by Kokam batteries
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ttso
I had update my FK04 testbed to meet JMRCA 4cells rules. With centerline motor and battery it should be very good to drive in corner. Let's see how it works...
looks good.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Some updates on how it runs??
Old 01-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Some updates on how it runs??
I'm working during this weekend , will go track later in weekday, hopefully .

As static test, balance is quite good, left-right 50-50, front-rear is on rear edge of 2nd battery from front, which is a bit lean to rear.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

I'm working during this weekend , will go track later in weekday, hopefully .

As static test, balance is quite good, left-right 50-50, front-rear is on rear edge of 2nd battery from front, which is a bit lean to rear.
I know its been a few months but how did the test go?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default The easy option

If we were designing a car from scratch and cost and ease of maintenence were priorities and we wanted to bring people into the sport, something like the following would make sence

1. Spec Brushless
2. Spec Lipo
3. Spec Long lasting Rubber tire

4. front and side bumpers which full protect the suspension
such that the car can be run into a a sold barrier at full speed at any angle and not be damaged.

5. long life bearings
and
6. a low maintenace differential

Obviously not for everyone or hard core
There is no reason, given current technology, that a car can not be produced at a reasonable price that I can take out of a big shoe box
race for 8 or 10 minutes. Charge my battery and 30 minutes later race again for 8 or 10 minutes, charge my battery, etc. When I am done spray some canned air on it, wipe in off, maybe put a drop of oil somewhere, put it back in my big shoebox and not touch it till the next race day.
Also if I misjudge the turn at the end of the long straight away and the car hits the board at an angle at full speed, it bounces off and keeps going.

We will always have cars and race classes for guys who like to rebuild ball diffs, who like to replace suspension parts, who like to buy $150 lathes to true their comms, who can afford a news set of tires every other week, 2 or 3 $70 batterys a season, etc. There just needs to be cars and classes for people who want to buy a car and race it.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Just a suggestion I would propose....

1.) 4-cell TC is an excellent idea...(seems as if it was successful in oval racing)

2.) 27T Stock TC must use rubber tires (even for carpet)
3.) 19T & modified (foams permitted)

4-cells offer such a huge economic advantage for the racers...its the easiest way to allow racers to continue racing with limited budgets.

Less wear & tear on the cars & motors.

Modified Brushed Motor systems will still provide the speeds racers are looking for while Brushless will make the maintence aspect of modified racing that much more enjoyable.

Just my 2 cents....something I would push at ROAR

Will be interesting to see what IFMAR decides on the subject
4 Cell racing will create battery wars IMO. Racers will want as much voltage as possible. Yes it will slow the cars down. Yes it will be cheaper.

I am not sure if I agree with rubber tire at carpet events for Stock. Right now Stock racing is the biggest class and everyone uses foam tires. IIC, Cleveland, Novak Race, Snowbirds, Nationals. We only have 3 large rubber tire races in the states which are Reedy, ROAR Nats, and um uh......oh the KO Grand Prix.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
TLRacing

Wow looks like the new Losi car may be the ticket!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

if you think 4 cell racing from a battery standpoint will be cheaper, just wait till it takes hold.. when all the battery matchers gross is cute by 30% their profit will follow. less profit, less companies. less companies, less competition and higher prices which are always going up, not down anyhow.... plus as hodge said, it just puts that much more of an emphasis on higher quality batteries and better tweaked motors.. you think your getting motored by the rich guys now... just wait.. and by the way your not wearing out parts from motor horsepower your wearing out parts with pipe power...
Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tallyrc
if you think 4 cell racing from a battery standpoint will be cheaper, just wait till it takes hold.. when all the battery matchers gross is cute by 30% their profit will follow. less profit, less companies. less companies, less competition and higher prices which are always going up, not down anyhow.... plus as hodge said, it just puts that much more of an emphasis on higher quality batteries and better tweaked motors.. you think your getting motored by the rich guys now... just wait.. and by the way your not wearing out parts from motor horsepower your wearing out parts with pipe power...
they seem to manage in 12th ok no battery wars I know of; and all of the main matchers allready do 4 cell packs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.