R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Associated TC3 pinion gear help 3.5t brushless

Hi all Iv recently started getting back into the hobby again , and have purchased a 3.5 t brushless motor . After reading up a lot on gearing. I still can't work out what pinion I should start off with , being a 3.5t motor. Is it best to use my 18t pinion like my old brushed 8t motor ? Or go up to like 28T pinion . Spur is 72 and transmission ratio is 2.5. Would like to use it tonight but bit worried I'm gonna cook esc. Please advise cheers
Jamesy TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy TC3 View Post
Hi all Iv recently started getting back into the hobby again , and have purchased a 3.5 t brushless motor . After reading up a lot on gearing. I still can't work out what pinion I should start off with , being a 3.5t motor. Is it best to use my 18t pinion like my old brushed 8t motor ? Or go up to like 28T pinion . Spur is 72 and transmission ratio is 2.5. Would like to use it tonight but bit worried I'm gonna cook esc. Please advise cheers
18 is probably an okay starting point but you might want to go smaller. 28 teeth would be way too much. Also, a 3.5T motor is a lot of power, the TC3 wasn't designed for that much power. Go easy on the throttle and keep a close eye on the diffs and gears. Plastic diffs are almost certainly going to melt, make sure you use the steel ones.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I have a 3.5t(@30* timing) motor in my tc4, and it runs pretty good at 8.49fdr, which you can get close to with a 21t pinion, or 8.57fdr with a 72t spur gear... That combo should get the car up to 60mph very quick, but you will need to time your runs to six minutes or less, just as if you were in a controlled race...My speed control does not add any timing to the motor... Good luck....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thank you both for your replies I shall see how I get on. Raining. Now 😡
Old 05-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

I do also think the outdrives will melt indeed , and I shall get a 21 pinion. After I see how it runs , I will just do short runs and keep eye on temps . Forum seems like a good idea thank you both again TC3 is pretty old now I still love it tho .