R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Ride height, droop, springs, hmmmm...

Hi,

My (BSR BT-4) touring car is experiencing oversteer under power. So I am looking a solution to cure that, but while searching I found something else.

We have a fairly rough circuit surface, hence we all tend to run at 6mm ride height. But at this ride height I have almost no droop available, only 2mm, even after removing the down stops completely. Also the springs in the kit I believe are too stiff, the car only settles down about a millimetre into the springs. Combining that with the max 2mm droop, that means the springs don't push the last millimetre of droop, gravety needs to pull that on its own. And I think that is too slow.

The suspension arms don't bottom out on max droop, the travel is limited by the damper length. Should I fit longer dampers or a lower damper stay or something (I can easily fabricate such parts)? Is the spring coming loose a bad thing? Anything you can recommend for this situation?

Cheers,

Hugo

P.S. We run a long circuit, medium grip uneven tarmac. We run timed 10.5 motors on blinky ESCs, mandatory Volante R36 tires which we are allowed to heat and use grip enhancers on. I use JapSap V2 which so far produces the best grip I have had. Heated for prefferably 40 minutes or more at 55 degrees Celsius (I don't know what that is in dollars). I believe the track record is currently a low 17 seconds. I run my motor at 47 degrees advance and have a WTF Windy on it to keep is less hot.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:24 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's link to the thread for the BT-4. Might find something there that an owner has done.

BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit
Old 05-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Hi,

My (BSR BT-4) touring car is experiencing oversteer under power. So I am looking a solution to cure that, but while searching I found something else.

We have a fairly rough circuit surface, hence we all tend to run at 6mm ride height. But at this ride height I have almost no droop available, only 2mm, even after removing the down stops completely. Also the springs in the kit I believe are too stiff, the car only settles down about a millimetre into the springs. Combining that with the max 2mm droop, that means the springs don't push the last millimetre of droop, gravety needs to pull that on its own. And I think that is too slow.

The suspension arms don't bottom out on max droop, the travel is limited by the damper length. Should I fit longer dampers or a lower damper stay or something (I can easily fabricate such parts)? Is the spring coming loose a bad thing? Anything you can recommend for this situation?

Cheers,

Hugo

P.S. We run a long circuit, medium grip uneven tarmac. We run timed 10.5 motors on blinky ESCs, mandatory Volante R36 tires which we are allowed to heat and use grip enhancers on. I use JapSap V2 which so far produces the best grip I have had. Heated for prefferably 40 minutes or more at 55 degrees Celsius (I don't know what that is in dollars). I believe the track record is currently a low 17 seconds. I run my motor at 47 degrees advance and have a WTF Windy on it to keep is less hot.
Sounds like you just need to lengthen the shock - unscrew the lower plastic ball cup a couple of turns, bearing in mind to try keep all 4 corners the same length between the bottom of the shock cylinder and the top of the ball cup
SCT - Tekno SCT410 / Losi 22SCT 2.0
Old 05-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Ask in the link posted above but here it is if you missed it

BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit
Closed Thread