Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Is it my car or my driving and setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Is it my car or my driving and setup?

Guys Hi😀,

I have a serpent 2.0 and i am racing with xrays 2017 and 2016 t4
I am struggling with cornering speed.

I would like to find out is it because the new generation cars have increased cornering speed? Or its my driving and setup.

I hope i can catch up with my 2013 serpent.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like you need to let one of the faster guys try driving your car.
That way you can see if they are faster with you than your own car, and perhaps give advice on setup.
f1reblade likes this.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cars performance certain do improve throughout the years, but with a good setup and driving skills, Im sure you will not be far off with other people running the latest and greatest at club levels.

Observe the driving lines of faster drivers and try to take the same line as them and ask around for general setup tips and tricks and see if you can improve on lap times. Chances are some people are nice enough to take the time to look over your car, change your setup and test your car for you and see if its really the car's problem, or setup problem, or driver error
Old 05-15-2017, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I was really wondering if the new cars are that much more stable and have more cornering speed.

Is there anyone that had experience with the serpent eryx 2.0 and with newer cars?

I was looking on the new serpent project 4x and was wondering with that design will i be benefiting or i will just though my money in the bin.

I will try some setups and see if i can manage to drive easier and faster.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by didrace

I was really wondering if the new cars are that much more stable and have more cornering speed.

Is there anyone that had experience with the serpent eryx 2.0 and with newer cars?

I was looking on the new serpent project 4x and was wondering with that design will i be benefiting or i will just though my money in the bin.

How would you rate your car setup knowledge? Do you know what the effect of adjusting roll center, camber, caster, springs, toe, droop, sway bars is? Can you drive your car around corners and tell whether you need more initial turn in, mid corner, or exit steering and how to adjust for those things? What class are you running in? Lots of variables to consider but I can tell you that a local racer pilots an old Associated TC3 around the track keeping pace with the top drivers in VTA. I would say his car setup knowledge is one of the best as well. A newer chassis will likely offer some benefit but knowing what to tweak to make the car match your driving style will make a bigger impact.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

It's always the car. Just listen to everyone who didn't win the race.

Dave
Marcos.J and f1reblade like this.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

starxx on here can help you with carpet set-ups for the Serpent. Maybe send him a PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

I agree. Well I have some setup knowledge though I am not the best.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I am running asphalt.

I will try more setups. Are you guys running asphalt or carpet?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree. Well I have some setup knowledge though I am not the best.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I am running asphalt.

I will try more setups. Are you guys running asphalt or carpet?
That car is modern enough and if all the parts are in good order you should be able to keep up no problem. Let someone fast drive your car and see what they say. It's probably in the setup, tire prep, or how worn out the parts are. I once lost 3 tenth a lap from worn parts and not realize it until I replaced new parts.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would pay some serious attention to the esc setup on top of everything else, before dumping the car.... Certain track layouts will need a different esc profile to get that last 0.1 second per lap... I always shoot for great punch, and smoothest brakes...
I would also pay attention to tire wobble after a few runs, as they can make a previously good setup go bad quick.....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 05-15-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Guys Hi😀,

I have a serpent 2.0 and i am racing with xrays 2017 and 2016 t4
I am struggling with cornering speed.

I would like to find out is it because the new generation cars have increased cornering speed? Or its my driving and setup.

I hope i can catch up with my 2013 serpent.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Pm sent
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have seen instances where guys can make an older chassis work competitively, more so in spec classes (21.5 & 13.5). By older, I'm talking early versions of the Xray T3 and Tamiya TRF416/417. However, their main impressions were that while they could generate similar lap times to the newer cars, they had to 'hustle' the cars a lot more. The new cars were only fractionally faster, but were much easier to drive at that limit, thus more consistent.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The real challenge is if you are running an older chassis is finding setup/advice on whatever the current classes that are being raced. When running a newer car it is easier to share/copy setups of cars that work with your current track conditions/class rules.

However pretty much any touring car made withing the last 5 years should have all the necessary adjustments to put you on the podium. As was suggested, have one of the local fast drivers practice with your car. Make sure to let them know what your driving style is (such as late entry/braking) so they can take that into consideration. They should be able to offer suggestions on how to improve your handling or they might discover something not working properly on your car. Also have them watch you practice as them might have suggestions on your driving line. Which leads to the next point...

As was also suggested, watch how different fast drivers navigate the layout. Sometimes the fastest line through a section of the track may not be as obvious until you watch other cars practicing. It also helps to watch the cars from different parts of the track to get a better idea how they might be going through the more difficult sections of the track.

One thing I should add is that older cars may or may not have gear diff options, which a lot of the newer cars have. If you are running with a front spool or ball diff, you will need a different setup when compared to someone running a front gear diff. However depending on a specific layout, a spool may be better than any type of diff. If you only have a ball diff in the front of the car, you might want to see if a spool or gear diff was an upgrade option.

In the end a good driver with a old car/average setup will usually outperform an average driver with a new car/perfect setup.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

A good driver with an old Serpent will still beat a bad driver with the latest Xray. I agree with the suggestion of asking one of the faster guys to try your car and offer some feedback, could be as simple as a shock change and roll centre change.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Wowww.

Guys thanks a lot. Once again you have been really helpful. well once i find time i will do everything you have advised me. To say the truth i never have the free time to go to the track and spend time to set up the car. I always go to the race and what ever i do is during the race.

Btw what tires are you guys running for asphalt? I am running sorex 32 and ride 34 for asphalt. Almost every race i need new tyres as they are torn out

Esc is the trackstar one from hobbyking. gen II. Motor is a ready 4.5. The car as i have specified before is the serpent 2.0 i have build the car since 2013 and i have never really played with setups. I am lucking steering and stability. rear diff is 1000 cst.

What do the roll centers really change on the car?

I am thinking of buying the aluminium rear hubs does anyone knows if they are worth the buy?

I have written down some of my random thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.