Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ThePanda
  • 1 Post By tekayi

TA07 Pro vs TT02S vs ?? Help!

Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default TA07 Pro vs TT02S vs ?? Help!

Hello guys,

Im trying to find the right 1/10 onroad chassis for parking lot sessions, speed runs, drifting.

I race nitro 1/8 buggies, so this should be my "for fun" electric car for onroad. I have my favorites in the name of the thread as I love Tamiya for it's 1/24 plastic models and always wanted RC one.

But Im pretty much open to any suggestions from you, onroad is unexplored territory for me. Anything available on RCmart would be great (3racing ?)

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Why not get a RTR, like Associated Apex, Veteraa V100, HPI sport3 or sprint2 or a traxxas ford gt?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tekayi
Hello guys,

Im trying to find the right 1/10 onroad chassis for parking lot sessions, speed runs, drifting.

I race nitro 1/8 buggies, so this should be my "for fun" electric car for onroad. I have my favorites in the name of the thread as I love Tamiya for it's 1/24 plastic models and always wanted RC one.

But Im pretty much open to any suggestions from you, onroad is unexplored territory for me. Anything available on RCmart would be great (3racing ?)

Thanks!
Well if you can find one used, the Tamiya TB03 chassis can be had ridiculously cheap these days with a bunch of upgrades and spares. And not only is it cheap but it's a really great on-road chassis to start with. It can be spec'd out for drifting, touring car, USGT, USVTA etc. Not a bad option to look into
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

look into tb04 as well, the new chassis with the ability to use rectangular lipo packs without cutting the chassis is nice.
EbbTide likes this.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Both the TA07 and TB04 are great options. The TA07 is the latest Chassis by Tamiya, and it has some fairly unique and interesting things about it. However, it can be a pain in the butt to work on. You have to remove pieces of the upper deck to do things like adjusting the steering. That being said, it has tons of upgrades.

The TB04 is an established platform that also has tons of upgrades available. However, I would say that the TB04 is a more advanced system because you spend more time getting the drive train working smoothly which may involve unexpected shimming and sanding of pieces in the drive train. The TB04 has very limited Pinion and Spur combinations to begin with, but with some minor upgrades you can get as low as about 3.1-3.2 FDR. Unlike the TA07, the TB04 can be upgraded to the highest level of competition via the Exotek Exo6 upgrade. It is an expensive upgrade but it completely transforms the car from a tub chassis to a carbon fiber chassis.

At the end of the day, I don't think you will regret either model but the TA07 definitely has a more active community at the moment.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I'd go TA07 hands down. Nothing in it's price range will hang with it with a manual setup. Build it just like the manual says and you will be on pace right away. No jacking around.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For parking lot, stones will be a headache for TB04 and TA07, but not for a TT02
Old 05-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
For parking lot, stones will be a headache for TB04 and TA07, but not for a TT02
don't you need quite a few upgrades to prevent the tt02 from oozing oil out of the diffs and shocks?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
For the TB04 I created a shroud that did a great job of keeping rocks out of the tub.

Ingredients:
1 old cotton t-shirt
Velcro tape
Glue Gun with glue sticks
Scissors

cut out a piece of the cotton shirt that roughly covers the the entirety of the tub.. Put velcro around the side of the tub. Hot glue some of the velcro to the edge of the piece of shirt so that the t-shirt is snugly covering the tub and kept in place by the velcro. You now have yourself a cheap shroud that will prevent rocks from getting in the gears. You can modify the shroud to have an opening for airflow. You can do this by creating a hole at the front and back of the shroud. Then use some old window screen and hot glue the window screen to the shroud holes. The screen will allow air to flow but pebbles will be deflected. Be very careful not to use metal window screen due to the conductive nature.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
don't you need quite a few upgrades to prevent the tt02 from oozing oil out of the diffs and shocks?
You can use 4mm x 0.1mm shims to squeeze the orings to lessen oil leak. Gear diff i use grease
Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I'd go TA07 hands down. Nothing in it's price range will hang with it with a manual setup. Build it just like the manual says and you will be on pace right away. No jacking around.
Agreed, for racing purposes, the TA07 Pro kit is fantastic - best plastic car ever made. Best chassis for the money hands down. It's a very enjoyable build as well - if you are into that part of the hobby.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For what it's worth, I outgrew my TT02 after about 3 months of racing and moved to a TA07 for asphalt racing (I ran an ARC R10 for my winter carpet season this last year).
Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you all, in this hobby the statement "Too poor to buy cheap" applies like nowhere else.

I found out that I have biig onroad track like 40 miles away, so I hope I'll stay with bashing plan and not end up racing there with TA07 Pro I ordered, but something is telling me I will.
Qatmix likes this.