Foam Tires 58 52.25%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree80Likes

Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
I'm going to assume you're a decent guy for a second. We are having a discussion, this is a discussion forum is it not? This is a topic that creates debate, some of which is passionate, which is good.

Don't be a d1ck and tell people what they can care about passionately or maybe its you that needs to move on

Steve
Chill...

Read my post...read it.

No issue with a discussion at all. Make an effort to understand the question being asked. The OP was essentially:

"Hey, anyone consider rubber tires on a 1/12 scale/"

That was the intent of the question. Paraphrasing a bit, but that was the intent. Don't imply something contrary to what the OP asked. He never, ever, suggested replacing anything with anything else. Be passionate for the right reasons - no one is trying to take anything away from you. You're jumping at the chance to be angry about something that isn't being implied.

Moreover, I've given you no reason to think I'm not a decent guy...if your vocabulary isn't extensive enough to exclude name calling, perhaps you shouldn't post.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #92
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone make them for 1/12th ?

Local carpet track closed a couple of years back , so we run on asphalt now. My 1/12th scale cars are collecting dust , and this would be a chance to run them again.
AMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #93
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMZ View Post

Local carpet track closed a couple of years back , so we run on asphalt now. My 1/12th scale cars are collecting dust , and this would be a chance to run them again.
I was told that a tire company experimented with rubber 12th scale tires, but couldn't get them to work. They either had no grip or if they were soft enough they lasted for two runs at best and then were trash. IMO I don't think anyone will ever get a tire that small to work, not without changing the weight of the car or something else drastically.

I ran 12th scale on an indoor asphalt track a little over ten years ago and we had great success with it. You should get your car out and try it.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I imagine it would have to be awfully thin rubber and probably no foam insert to get the weight and handling right for any stock 1s 1/12 class.

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #95
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

just let me know when WGT revives
Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Chill...

Read my post...read it.

No issue with a discussion at all. Make an effort to understand the question being asked. The OP was essentially:

"Hey, anyone consider rubber tires on a 1/12 scale/"

That was the intent of the question. Paraphrasing a bit, but that was the intent. Don't imply something contrary to what the OP asked. He never, ever, suggested replacing anything with anything else. Be passionate for the right reasons - no one is trying to take anything away from you. You're jumping at the chance to be angry about something that isn't being implied.

Moreover, I've given you no reason to think I'm not a decent guy...if your vocabulary isn't extensive enough to exclude name calling, perhaps you shouldn't post.
Ok Celt, my vocabulary and reading ability is just fine, but thanks for asking. Saying dont be a d1ck, and saying, celt you're a d1ck are very different to most people. I did the former, not the latter. Hence I did not name call you.

I wasn't replying to the OP, as most people were no longer replying to him either, I was replying to all the guys who were talking about f1 and wgt-r and their success on rubber tires which is fine for those classes. I also asked an honest question to dumper (a CRC rep) about what would happen to 1/12th mod if there was going to be an attempt at creating a racing 1/12th class on rubber tires, as I doubt he feels mod 1/12 should or even could do rubber tires.

I would assume that one concern that most everyone has is that by creating this rubber tired option, it would create yet another new class that is not really needed in what is already too many classes. We need fixes for sure but not really a massive change. I started racing 1/12th asphalt modified 6 cells in 1980 and although I've done most every other class since, but I'm still very passionate about the class and its history. Sure 1/12th has its issues that need to be addressed but what class doesn't.

Steve
Antimullet likes this.
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #97
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the concern is tire cost, then you may consider a very hard spec tire. Not just the purple stripes which are lilacs, something like the old Jaco Orange that was 55 shore and wore like iron. If you do that, then maybe the tires will still be $10 per mounted pair and the cars could retain their normal chassis and other geometry.

OR, if you want to be funny, go buy some natural rubber bike inner tubes and cut them up to make some donuts that you can glue to rims. Be sure to video tape your shakedown runs.

Alternatively we can stop whining on the internet about this silly idea. The only place where running your car is perfectly free and consistent is in video games.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.

Last edited by DesertRat; 06-29-2017 at 11:16 AM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #98
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I was told that a tire company experimented with rubber 12th scale tires, but couldn't get them to work. They either had no grip or if they were soft enough they lasted for two runs at best and then were trash. IMO I don't think anyone will ever get a tire that small to work, not without changing the weight of the car or something else drastically.

I ran 12th scale on an indoor asphalt track a little over ten years ago and we had great success with it. You should get your car out and try it.
Perhaps somebody should tell Yokomo about this abject failure...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

scirocco14 likes this.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have read in various places that this is Masami's favorite class. The car has a slightly longer wheelbase and really cool super GT bodies. I think it's 25.5 2s powered. Basically a big Mini-Z.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Perhaps somebody should tell Yokomo about this abject failure...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Yokomo GT500 is a well known success. Nothing at all wrong with that. My understanding is that there is a huge following in that class, we just aren't exposed to it in the states.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Anyone have the dimensions of the Yok GT500 car? in the pics and vids I found it looks longer and wider than a standard 12th. That extra length and width coupled with the 25.5 motor could account for why it looks good in the vids. But if it is longer and wider then it's apples to oranges again. Why don't one of you that want rubber tires on a 12th car order up a set of these and try it out on your 12th car and report back the results. I suspect it won't be all that good.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #102
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMZ View Post

Bolt some Ulti J tyres onto those cars straight out of the packet and go try it! With some additive of course. 1/12 on asphalt can be a lot of fun.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #103
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Somebody said GT500??? Done......

1/12 GT500

Yes the chassis is slightly longer. I will measure mine and le you guys know how much longer after I get home tonight. The width is the same as 12th scale. The rear rubber tires are narrower than 12th scale. Very fun cars to drive.
v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #104
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Anyone have the dimensions of the Yok GT500 car? in the pics and vids I found it looks longer and wider than a standard 12th. That extra length and width coupled with the 25.5 motor could account for why it looks good in the vids. But if it is longer and wider then it's apples to oranges again. Why don't one of you that want rubber tires on a 12th car order up a set of these and try it out on your 12th car and report back the results. I suspect it won't be all that good.
Interesting that I did exactly that....this is the cheapo Tamiya RM01 with yokomo tires and a Team Bluegroove Greenwood Corvette (70's style) - 21.5 1s

+ YouTube Video

Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #105
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
I have read in various places that this is Masami's favorite class. The car has a slightly longer wheelbase and really cool super GT bodies. I think it's 25.5 2s powered. Basically a big Mini-Z.

25.5 2s seems to be the big class, but I understand there is a 30.5 class as well. 21.5 2s is a class but it's pretty insane.

I have tried 25.5 2s on a regular 1/12 with the yokomo tires and it is very quick. 21.5 1s was a lot more manageable. With a standard wheelbase car, and typical US indoor tracks, 1s is fine. It also would feed directly into standard foam tire 1/12 classes, as all it would be is a tire, body (current 1/12 bodies would be hard to get on the rubber cars due to the tire size) and motor change, same car.

As an aside, there are a surprising number of GT and Cam Am style bodies available for 1/12 cars from, Delta Plastik USA and Team Blue Groove. The Tamiya RM01 1/12 bodies would probably work pretty well too, since they accommodate big honking foams.