Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree759Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
With tires
Nice pure genius coming from a professor.

But seriously how'd the car steer?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 AM
ha5
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lbckevin
I had an xray spur gear in my box and it fits great.
only fits whit 2 screws
Old 09-17-2017, 09:25 AM
MGU
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ha5
only fits whit 2 screws
Why only two. Axon fits on the xray so the x-rays should fit on the Mugen as well then.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MGU
Why only two. Axon fits on the xray so the x-rays should fit on the Mugen as well then.
Because Xray spurs only have 6 holes, of which 3 are used on Xrays. On any car that is supposed to use 4 screws, these 6 holes simply don't line up for more than 2. Axon spurs have 12 holes, so they fit both 3- and-4 screw assemblies.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 AM
MGU
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DirkW
Because Xray spurs only have 6 holes, of which 3 are used on Xrays. On any car that is supposed to use 4 screws, these 6 holes simply don't line up for more than 2. Axon spurs have 12 holes, so they fit both 3- and-4 screw assemblies.
thank you for the clarification.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MGU
So apart from Axon spurs which others will fit?
RW racing spur gears fit
Old 09-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MGU
The offset ones?
Yes, the offset gear. It mounts with two screws just fine. No problems all day yesterday with racing.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

one more tip....

Make sure to Loctite the rear camber inner set screw. It can come loose real easy. When it has Loctite, the ball stud will stay on all day.

Last edited by lbckevin; 09-17-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM
MGU
Tech Adept

I am still pondering if I should get one. Around here everyone is driving Xrays (me included) so I really want to try something "new".
Old 09-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

How about some driving and handling reports.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Antimullet
I'll let disaster999 tell you how he's found his car but I saw it in action yesterday and it's bloody fast! MASSIVE amounts of steering ... wayyyy too much for my liking but each to their own driving styles.

I've already got my eyes set on a Tamiya TB Evo 7 for the unique-ness of new shaft drive but if I get rid of a couple of cars, I'd be very tempted to get an MTC1 ... much more so than a T4'18
Antimullet likes this.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by MGU
I am still pondering if I should get one. Around here everyone is driving Xrays (me included) so I really want to try something "new".
If I were you I would jump ship and try the mugen. The xrays are becoming quite stale on their design and there's nothing even worth mentioning in their latest release.

Parts are easily available online and you could pretty much use the same set across a few platforms. There are plenty of support here and on FB for setups as well.
Originally Posted by Antimullet
Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
I'll let disaster999 tell you how he's found his car but I saw it in action yesterday and it's bloody fast! MASSIVE amounts of steering ... wayyyy too much for my liking but each to their own driving styles.

I've already got my eyes set on a Tamiya TB Evo 7 for the unique-ness of new shaft drive but if I get rid of a couple of cars, I'd be very tempted to get an MTC1 ... much more so than a T4'18
Like wag said, ran the car this weekend and had a blast. I was struggling at first since I was on really old tires, but the car still handled pretty good. I was able to get a feel on how the car handles when it pushes and slides.

Once I put in a new set of tires it totally transformer the car and was able to unlock it's full potential. Scared one of my friend who's usually one of the faster guys. I was able to either keep the lead or keep up with him. Enough so to make him do a complete once over on his setup just so he can keep a competitive edge.

The car had plenty of steering and I was able to throw the car into a corner and it would hug the line like it was on rails. I might get the optional one piece deck to calm the car a bit but seeing how it handles in the track I don't know if it's necessary. Might still get it just for testing.

After running the car for 3 hard days, I'm happy to say the car was very solid. Nothing was broken even when I jumped a curb down the back straight and the car flew. The "aero" bumper held up surprisingly well. I thought it would be one of the weakest part of the car but it was rock solid. The shocks are absolutely amazing. Not a single drop of oil was found on the shaft and still moving silky smooth.

Thebobly downside is the color they used to anodize their metals. It's such a unique color that it doesn't look right with just any other color washers but the mugen green. One of the screw holding the rear camber plate onto the bulkhead did work itself loose and I did lose a washer. I had to use a black one for now and it just sticks out like a sore thumb. Gonna order a bunch of washers from mugen, not gonna be cheap
Antimullet and cryptout like this.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thisguy2849
Hey Weezy can you tell me how the car compared in 17.5 to your previous car?

The mugen had a TON of steering, and it rotates a lot. The car is already at pace and still has a lot of potential left in it. Can't wait to keep testing, have a race next weekend, then iic in 2 weeks for some carpet.
thisguy2849 likes this.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MGU
The X-ray Spur Gears does not fit correctly.
You can use 2 Srews but in my Eyes that is not good because it runs not straight at the Point where the 2 Screws missing.

I have testet the Kimborough and the Graupner.
But because they have only 6 holes they do not fit.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The factory drivers are using Panaracer spur gears if that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.