Like Tree759Likes

Mugen MTC1

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MTC1
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: liljohn1064
Mugen MTC1 Wiki:

MTC1 Manual on the Mugen Web Site.

Correction for the manual

The max/min tooth count of the spur and pinion combined.

64p = 127 to 164 total teeth

48p = 95 to 120 total teeth

People who have spare spur gears left over from other cars which they wish to use but can only utilize 2 of the 4 mounting holes, here's neat trick from MKAH to drill 2 more holes precisely in the spur gear:

1.Dismantle the Spur Holder and mount XRAY Spur with two screws.

2.If you have take a 3mm Top Setting Screw

3.Get the Top Screw in the first free thread to the Spur Holder from the other side until it touches the Spur a litle bit.
Make the same with the second free Thread.

4.Dismantle Top set Srew an the two screws witch holds the Spur on the Holder.
Now you see two marks absolutely central.

5. Take an 3mm Driller an Drill the holes at the marked places

6.Mount the Spur with the two old and two new holes on the Spur.

Spur Gears known to fit the gear holder with the correct hole pattern

1. Axon
2. Panaracer

Upper front arm hinge pin set screw tip (or any of the kit set screws):

When installing the set screw run the set screw in until you can see it come into the hinge pin gap. Back the screw out and make sure there is no flashing in the way and then the screw. Now slide the pin in and you should hit the pin and come to a dead stop. It will be a solid feel and not sloppy like it will not tighten which is caused by any loose plastic.

Hara's Setup

Robert Pietsch's Latest Carpet Setup

Print Wikipost

Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Any updates?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Any updates?
Tonisport in Germany says end of the month.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Ha.

Someone told you so a month ago.

Looks like "end of July" means "end of August", right?

Originally Posted by niznai
I would be surprised if it hits the shelves before September.

Like I said before, now they are probably looking at pre-orders to gauge how many units will be sold on release day and will probably take it form there.

I have to say however, they don't look like they are stirring interest much (look at Xay/Tamiya, etc). Who knows why that is? Budget? Marketing? Projections? Whatever.

My gut feeling is the car won't be a big seller (for whatever reason), or at the very least not something that one would go totally balls out on and I think they have demonstrated that they don't bank on it (modest hype/advertising/marketing/etc). By now, Tamiya or Xray would have already spent millions on promotion. Doesn't look like Mugen did.
I would say the delay gives even more support to my theory above. I am more inclined to believe my own guess that Mugen waited to see the pre orders before actually manufacturing anything, hence the delay.

Even then, I would say that if be the end of September all orders are not filled and there is relatively healthy stock on the shelves, then they have some problems, either with manufacturing or suppliers, or more serious (think cash).

If we take into account that Pietsch has been competing all over Europe over summer (and there's still some left), I would also guess he didn't have much time to promote the car or develop. Either way, don't expect last minute changes in the chassis (which if the car is already in production somewhere, would be a costly and time consuming exercise). If the delay extends past September, that means they might have serious problems. By that I mean serious enough that it could lead to shelving the whole project.

Last edited by niznai; 08-23-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

You theorize the entire product lifecycle geez. Why not PM that stuff to yourself or self quote to yourself via pm? Speculation is not
real interesting or focused on the chassis and it's performance. Either is watching a self-licking ice cream cone pat itself on the back.
Bar and daleburr like this.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Antimullet
You theorize the entire product lifecycle geez. Why not PM that stuff to yourself or self quote to yourself via pm? Speculation is not
real interesting or focused on the chassis and it's performance. Either is watching a self-licking ice cream cone pat itself on the back.
It's "speculation is not really interesting"......(etc.).

Just sayin'.

And in case you care, the whole thread is only speculation but until now, mine is the only one that proved right.

What have you got?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

While Xray seems to wok on more shorter shocks to lower the (non noticeable) CG on the 2018 T4, the front design of the Mugen with a "heavy" upper A-arm can scare people off due the fantastic commercial stories of Hudy about a low CG.

Just running the car by Pietch and made the A-final is already a huge advertisement, what could have happened if a guy like Groskamp had the car.....
So getting the car on the market before the winter could be a right choise to be ahead of all others who want to show new stuff on or at a same time as the Neurnberg toyfair as also most gas drivers will do electric in the winter.
So people have the time to test this car and make a choice next March to stay with it or follow their favorite brand.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
While Xray seems to wok on more shorter shocks to lower the (non noticeable) CG on the 2018 T4, the front design of the Mugen with a "heavy" upper A-arm can scare people off due the fantastic commercial stories of Hudy about a low CG.

Just running the car by Pietch and made the A-final is already a huge advertisement, what could have happened if a guy like Groskamp had the car.....
So getting the car on the market before the winter could be a right choise to be ahead of all others who want to show new stuff on or at a same time as the Neurnberg toyfair as also most gas drivers will do electric in the winter.
So people have the time to test this car and make a choice next March to stay with it or follow their favorite brand.
I agree, far too much obsession over low CG, lower CG worked well for Yokomo with the BD8 which is why they brought out the BD8-SV
Antimullet likes this.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Lower CG is always good, the suspension has to be tuned to the new requirements or else you end up worse if you don't now what you doing (yokomo bd7'16 anyone?)

Xray is between a rock and a hard place. If they go extra low shocks and praising the lower CG what stops me to go full lower CG and get an Awesomatix? If not they have to avoid getting a stale design, because Xray is always going forward, so what do they change? This is where mugen can and should praise it's design choices and put other manufacturers in check, the arm provides far better wheel alignment control, durability, etc...
Ggrant likes this.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

I see things are back to normal around here.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Can someone make a meme for niznai; "show me on this doll where Mugen touched you."
DavidNERODease and dan_vector like this.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Lower CG is always good, the suspension has to be tuned to the new requirements or else you end up worse if you don't now what you doing (yokomo bd7'16 anyone?)

Xray is between a rock and a hard place. If they go extra low shocks and praising the lower CG what stops me to go full lower CG and get an Awesomatix? If not they have to avoid getting a stale design, because Xray is always going forward, so what do they change? This is where mugen can and should praise it's design choices and put other manufacturers in check, the arm provides far better wheel alignment control, durability, etc...
Well obviously not always, as it didn't work with the BD8, low CG is generally better but it depends what is sacrificed in doing so. It's no good having low CG if the car doesn't work on bumpy tracks
Old 08-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

No memes around here because of the meme police. Stay safe.

Originally Posted by Bar
Well obviously not always, as it didn't work with the BD8, low CG is generally better but it depends what is sacrificed in doing so. It's no good having low CG if the car doesn't work on bumpy tracks
I'm very inclined to say always. The consequences of that change however are gigantic and a rethink of the suspension setup and a redesign are in order.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 30Tooth

Xray is between a rock and a hard place. If they go extra low shocks and praising the lower CG what stops me to go full lower CG and get an Awesomatix?

[...]
Price for one, distribution for another.

Awesomatix also lost its attractiveness for their originality when they gave it up for functionality.

I would be interested to see some figures, but I don't think Awesomatix have made a dent in Xray sales hence I don't think they see it as a competitor.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Price for one, distribution for another.

Awesomatix also lost its attractiveness for their originality when they gave it up for functionality.

I would be interested to see some figures, but I don't think Awesomatix have made a dent in Xray sales hence I don't think they see it as a competitor.
In my area, Xray drivers are switching to Awesomatix in droves (especially for the 13.5 class). From memory the last big race I saw 8 Awesomatix, 1 Associated and 1 Tamiya in the A main.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 AM
Tech Lord

I do believe a shorter shock can make a difference in feeling but not because the lower CG. Xray did make the mistake on the RX8 I believe the 2013 model which did not help to make the car better so new longers shocks were designed for the next year model
In the 1/8 onroad racing we do see more and more lower CG placed cooling heads giving temperature issues so from time to time you see drivers replacing the head by a normal higher version w/o needing to change the setup because the higer CG. And then we are talking about a 10 gram high in the sky and not a 5 gram already arround roll center.

But I trully believe most of these yearly changes and all the technical bullsh*t stories are not to make the car better for more than 90% of the drivers who can not make an advantage out of it but more to give a reason to them to buy the new car anyway.

Mugen on the other hand dares to do 3 years with a car with only some options in that period. And if possible the next car is based on the same platform so only an upgrade kit is needed.
Bar and dan_vector like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.