R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree58Likes

Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #61
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been silently watching this thread for a while and I have to speak up and say you should be incredibly proud of your design G-rem. Absolutely awesome to design your own car. It is a marvel of engineering.

If you ever make the shift to sell the printed parts you designed along with a Bill of Material for purchased parts needed (along with modifications detailed), I will definitely be standing in line waiting for my chance to send cash your way.

Major props to you
G-rem likes this.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #62
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-rem View Post
Some improvement of the front monoshock system:

I added 2 small PN mini-z front springs in order to have some influence on lateral moves when cornering, so that under-load side can move up sligthly (around 3mm travel) while the other side can move down.
It also act as a sway bar, and I can fine-tune the effect by switching to other rate springs.

G-rem

Damping?
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Damping?
The main rocker can move up and down, and it is its role to control damping. I'll post more pictures of global car once I'll be done with the V3 modifications/checks/assembly
texastc likes this.
G-rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #64
Tech Rookie

Overall your design seems very well thought out. Your design is something I wanted to see for a long time. Very well done!

I love the front mono-shock design. I though its quite an innovation. It avoids the need for a front stabiliser bar and the associated linkage. I am not sure about the use of springs for roll movement, as I'm uncertain if the springs will provide adequate stiffness in roll. As long as there is a few mm of space on each side, it can be packed with spacers, washers and possibly several O-rings per side. I doubt there will be much need for a front roll-damper unit. The O-rings together with the tire's internal damping should provide adequate damping in roll. Due to the very attractive IRS setup, your chassis design will have unusually good damping in roll from the rear end of the car.

My critical comment is about the front to rear CG balance. I'd be inclined to go for a lateral mounted battery to allow the COG to be moved as far rearward as possible. I would like to get the motor closer the rear axle if it can be done.

Thanks for showing your design and all the great pics.
UniRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:00 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRacer View Post
Overall your design seems very well thought out. Your design is something I wanted to see for a long time. Very well done!

I love the front mono-shock design. I though its quite an innovation. It avoids the need for a front stabiliser bar and the associated linkage. I am not sure about the use of springs for roll movement, as I'm uncertain if the springs will provide adequate stiffness in roll. As long as there is a few mm of space on each side, it can be packed with spacers, washers and possibly several O-rings per side. I doubt there will be much need for a front roll-damper unit. The O-rings together with the tire's internal damping should provide adequate damping in roll. Due to the very attractive IRS setup, your chassis design will have unusually good damping in roll from the rear end of the car.
Thank you for the kind words!
I did some static testings with o-rings instead of springs, and it works but not as good as I hoped (mainly because I hardly have the space to put only one o-ring). With the little update I made yesterday, I'll be able to test either springs, either several o-ring or even spacers. I'm really looking forward to track testing in order to validate the best option (and I really, really want to make this monoshock design working as I find it very cool looking; but if it ever fails, I can switch to classic IFS with 2 shocks, that I know it will work properly as it was the setup I used last year on my 3R FGX prototype)

Quote:
My critical comment is about the front to rear CG balance. I'd be inclined to go for a lateral mounted battery to allow the COG to be moved as far rearward as possible. I would like to get the motor closer the rear axle if it can be done.

Thanks for showing your design and all the great pics.
I already included this option in the current design, as I wanted to have the ability to test several electronic placements in order to play with weight distribution. I simply work mainly with the longitudinal view as it is the most constraining option (regarding the space for front steering servo,...).

Unfortunately, the motor is already at the most rearward position as I could put it, everything is super tight regarding transmission and rear suspension...

Regards,
G-rem
texastc likes this.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #66
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Some improvement of the front monoshock system:

Hi G-Rem,
I thought about another alternative to the springs or rubber O-ring roll-compliance device. Instead of allowing the lateral movement of the damper bellcrank, maybe the pivot block could be mounted on a separate FRP mounting plate that allows controlled lateral compliance. There are probably more examples of this idea in old pan car chassis using T-plates. It may move either by torsion or rotation about a vertical pivot axis. Perhaps with one bearing and some rubber grommets so the lateral movement of the mounting plate can be controlled. Maybe it would be more clear if I provided sketch of my concept. It needs some more thought and design work so it will provide reasonable centering, to ensure the car's handling will be the same in both left and right hand corners.
UniRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
The main rocker can move up and down, and it is its role to control damping. I'll post more pictures of global car once I'll be done with the V3 modifications/checks/assembly
Yes, the damping is in play for up and down movement. But for the side to side with your new springs, I don't see any damping.
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #68
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Yes, the damping is in play for up and down movement. But for the side to side with your new springs, I don't see any damping.
The side-to-side movement is not really damping, it's more "heave", just like the Serpent Project 4x. It is to allow front suspension independant up&down when cornering

Quote:
Hi G-Rem,
I thought about another alternative to the springs or rubber O-ring roll-compliance device. Instead of allowing the lateral movement of the damper bellcrank, maybe the pivot block could be mounted on a separate FRP mounting plate that allows controlled lateral compliance. There are probably more examples of this idea in old pan car chassis using T-plates. It may move either by torsion or rotation about a vertical pivot axis. Perhaps with one bearing and some rubber grommets so the lateral movement of the mounting plate can be controlled. Maybe it would be more clear if I provided sketch of my concept. It needs some more thought and design work so it will provide reasonable centering, to ensure the car's handling will be the same in both left and right hand corners.
I can more or less see what you are describing, and I think it could be a good idea. My main concern is about space available under the body; the current design is already at the nearest position from it, both in height and width...and as you mentioned, I'll have to pay a particular attention to the centering. But I'll for sure look at this closer, thanks!