Should 19t and stock drivers be made to move to mod after wining a big event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should 19t and stock drivers be made to move to mod after wining a big event

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

When it comes to large, national level events, who cares who runs what!?!? These races are about being the best of the best. I'll agree that there are many drivers who SHOULD move up to mod, but like others said, I'll leave that up to their integrity.

On local, club-level racing however, I believe it is a different matter.

Novice is generally just a re-labeled stock class where people run until they have basic control of their cars and then they move to stock. So, stock IS the amateur, beginner and mostly un-sponsored class. When you have a small group of drivers who constantly dominate this class, it does discourage some of the newer drivers. For these drivers, making the A main at a club event is a very big deal and can help keep them excited about being in the hobby.

The argument about running in a larger class is a bunch of bull-hooey. When it comes down to it, the top 10 drivers will be racing with each other every week. The other people in the class will just be in the lower heats and are not truely competition to these aces. The only benefit to running in a larger class is if you are trying to build your resume to get sponsored. It sure sounds better to say you got TQ in a class of 30 drivers instead of a class of 5 or 6. But, if the 29 other drivers are mostly beginning drivers, that TQ doesn't REALLY have the lustre that it sounds like on paper....

Running with the best makes you faster is also something to be considered carefully. My son races and can't stand it when he gets stuck in a heat with the top drivers. It frustrates him to have to move over so often. It causes him to alter his driving style to accomodate the other drivers. His best runs have happened when he is in a heat with other drivers of similar skill. I think running with the best only helps you when you are within a reasonable reach of being competetive with them.

No matter how you slice it, there is no way to MAKE this happen. There will always be drivers in the stock class that have the skills to move up, but won't. They can't be forced out. I think the idea of renaming the classes has the best chance of changing the situation.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Legend

Change the name "Stock" to "Sportsman"...

Change the name of "Modifly" to "Expert"....

Problem will resolve itself in no time.....
Old 01-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe we should just completly cut out stock and mod. Everyone runs 19turn. Then there can be an Expert and a Sportsman class.

I know it's crazy, but it kinda makes sense in a way.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

You can call a turd a rose, but it still smells the same. What difference does it make who races in what class? I race for the competition, and if I have 9 other racers of equal skill level in the G main with me, I'm happy. Then I get to watch the good drivers tear it up in the A-main. I don't want to be "the best" because everyone else moved up, I want to improve and put myself on their level.
Second point. All of these "pro level" stock drivers race at the club level for most of the year. If their club doesn't have a modified class, when are they supposed to learn to race mod?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
If their club doesn't have a modified class, when are they supposed to learn to race mod?
If no one signs up for the class how can there be one ?????
Old 01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by howard hudson
If no one signs up for the class how can there be one ?????
You hit the nail right on the head!!!!

We tried many times to get a modified class going at our loal tracks. It's always the same old stories: too expensive, I need to practice stock and I want a bigger class.

I could usually get 1 and if I was lucky 2 other drivers to run mod on most race days. We easily had 5-10 drivers who should have been running mod at the local level. Last year we did get a reasonable modified class running for a month or so. We had a blast running it, but what I loved the best were the comments from the former B main racers. All of us hardcore racers know that it doesn't matter what main you are in, but to these newer racers, a shot at the A main can really give them a huge boost in their excitement level. To hear them get excited about running in the A and having a chance to win it is really cool.

So come on guys, at the club level, STEP IT UP TO MOD!! You'll have fun and the newer drivers will appreciate it. This is one of the best ways to keep the hobby growing and fun for all.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Legend

Years ago racer`s worked hard to "move up" out of stock and be part of the Mod program ...

What happen ! ?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

look im not talking about club racing.... im talking the snowbirds ..clevland and national events..........there should be a class for people who have no sponsorship.

second the snowbirds are running expert 19t with the likes of tosolinni and other big names and im giving props to alex lopez who is national champ in stock.. for stepping up and running the 19t expert class............... :
Old 01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by T. Hodge
What about the racers who are sent to races to win "Stock"?
u see there a question with that do they send there heavy hitters to run mod and there second level to run stock... if they send there heavy hitters to run stock they should be ashamed (the sponser that is)
Old 01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

you have companies in my opinion stack the field against everyone else..
so what happenes you have the top ten or 20 guys in the u.s in stock running
1 of 2 cars then all the guys who follow rc run out and buy the car that won the race......its just getting out of control and really im upset about you dont see the young kids getting into it when i started racing a long time there were at least 100 guys who helped me now the kids cant even afford to race cause u have to spend to be compitive............and let me tell you cant outspend sponserships......... so my last comment you cant support a sport and have many generations of drivers if everyweek ringers discourage them from getting better.....it really is discourging to make the b main at a local level week after week and never get in the a and the same 10 guys make the a every week.........
Old 01-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The reason the big races are big, is because there are tons of good, sponsered racers attending that race. The ROAR Nats and your local club race are two completely different things. If you're in the C-Main and you're complaining about "so and so" winning the A-Main, why should you care? You still have to beat the C-Main, and then the B-Main, to even worry about being in contention for the win. They have different mains for a reason, and unless someone dominates **by a reasonably large margin** for like, five years or something, then don't worry about asking him to move up. Everyones got a shot at being able to beat the best, it all just comes down to how much you practice, and at that level, how big your wallet, or how generous your sponser, is. Because when you think about it, you're just trying to baby the people who can't win. Why should the dominator have to step aside because the losers didn't practice enough?
**BUT**
If you insist on getting people to move up, you will NEVER be able to agree on a good system to move people up. Just have the racing organization **STRONGLY** urge the winners (after a few years of winning) to consider moving up.
-Josh
Old 01-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

BIGRAGU.. lets see i pay for my hotel room my plane ticket my entry fee,food for the week and my own parts sure i get help in motors and batteries and tires but i also wake up every morning and go to a non rc job to support my hobby .

todd hodge i do agree with you about some comanys stacking the main and look at the line under my name and you will notice something also.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

It is important to remember that in 'the old days' stock motors/batteries were a whole lot slower than they are today.

In my opinion, mod shouldn't be 'better' or 'more skilled' than stock, it is just different. Some drivers enjoy/are better skilled at one class than another and should be allowed to stay in that class forever.

If you don't like losing, either:

a) Embrace reality (useful at times)

or

b) Get better

It also isn't like the old days when non-sponsored drivers couldn't get good batteries. The normal person off the street can buy 1.21 volt cells in their local hobby shop now.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So what you are saying is that becuase you pay for your stuff, you shouldnt be asked to move up. ? There are a ton of people behind you that pay for thier things too, how is that a comparison ? If you get help in the high cost consumables.. .what else is there ? I mean if it comes down to money.... it is cheaper to enter a race like the snowbirds in the mod class then the stock.. Mark, I singled you out becuase you have an impressive record running STOCK. I am not half the wheel you are, and understand that it eventually becomes time to move on . This is a bigger issue then just you.

I really only replied becuase the majority of people that race, pay for thier own stuff, and it seemed a little bit unfair in comparison.

Originally Posted by smyka
BIGRAGU.. lets see i pay for my hotel room my plane ticket my entry fee,food for the week and my own parts sure i get help in motors and batteries and tires but i also wake up every morning and go to a non rc job to support my hobby .

todd hodge i do agree with you about some comanys stacking the main and look at the line under my name and you will notice something also.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that I contributed in another thread like this some time ago. But since then I think I have somewhat changed what I believe. I am 17 years old and honestly think that this is probably the biggest issue that comes with electric racing.

I have never raced mod for a couple of reasons....
1) no one runs it locally
2) the only time ive witnessed it ran, there were quite a few sponsored racers and I had no chance.

I have no problem with fast guys running stock, we all need it to eventually (and hopefully) be able to move up to mod. My only real gripe is that we have full sponsored stock racers. I dont see how the same guys that could get the same ballistic packs for mod are givin the same packs to run stock in. Then I try to run and I have batteries that I fought for at my LHS. I see what everyone is saying and I love the idea of winning stock, knowing that I beat teh best. But my impression of racing was stock was to make for a competitive class that was fair but FAST (hence not like a T-spec class). But whats the fun in me saving for months to attend a race like the Birds only to be outpowered, batteried, etc, but full sponsored stock racers? Regardless of the fact if I had the opportunity just like most of us here, we would go and knowing lose and come home and get to tell the stories of attempting to run with the biggest and best in the class. Regardless of any point here we all have to accept the fact that forcing someone up solves nothing.

And all of us being racers and supporting the same hobby I would think that the stock guys that can move up would have the as mentioned integrity and respect for a new upcoming generation that can only lead to the growth of our dearly loved hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.