R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree120Likes

Old 04-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
A driver having a better motor than you is not cheating, and is completely "fair".
I've always thought that the purpose of a spec motor class is to ensure everyone has the same motor, or at least as close as possible. The idea is to take the motor out of the equation. This gives lower skilled racers a place to develop before moving up to modified. But technology has changed that and there's no going back.

I like Eddie E's reason for moving to USGT. The harder tires means he can drift the car through the sweeper with throttle control, meaning it's more about driving and less about motor. (You know, the way off road used to be ) That's the formula that will bring more racers out.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I agree, so why don't we as rac TS start putting our focus on traction instead of motors.

If we started limiting traction, these others issues would slowly fade into very small or non-existent issues.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)

It's racing!!!! You can limit traction with harder tires. Guess what is coming next a new chassis that makes up for the lack of tire or a new body that has more traction built in.

Watch full size racing... Goodyear makes a harder tire. Race engineer compensates with chassis set up. Add more rear down force to slow the cars. Guess what they make that right back up somewhere else.

"Spec" racing has never meant that every motor on the market performs exactly the same. Didn't when we ran brushed motors not going to happen now.
Spec just means there are rules and guidelines set for the manufacturers to stay/work with in. Some are doing it better than others.

It's not even going to happen if every racer in the world buys a TSR motor. There is still going to some that are better than others.
RKeasler likes this.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #109
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think some of these guys think they're losing races because they don't have the fastest motor. They think they need the motor of the month. It's not always about the fastest motor, it usually comes down to setup and driver skill. I've won races where i clearly didn't have the fastest motor as i'm sure some have you have done as well.
vivo quevas likes this.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

This whole thread makes me laugh, how can you call yourself a racer if all you want to do is slow down. I think it all comes back to this younger generation that grew up getting participation trophy's for everything they did!!, well guess what in real life there are winners and there are losers learn to deal with it.
Learn how to set up your cars with the least amount of rotating mass, free up the drivetrain and practice practice practice. My 0.2 cents
Everybody has forgotten Rc racing is all about having fun, specially at the club level you don't pay to race, you pay to have a few hours of fun running your car against your buddies, joking around in the pits, and time away from life. You can't put a price on that!!
Professor, tiko and mike142 like this.
jeff jenkins sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #111
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins sr View Post
This whole thread makes me laugh, how can you call yourself a racer if all you want to do is slow down. I think it all comes back to this younger generation that grew up getting participation trophy's for everything they did!!, well guess what in real life there are winners and there are losers learn to deal with it.
Learn how to set up your cars with the least amount of rotating mass, free up the drivetrain and practice practice practice. My 0.2 cents
Everybody has forgotten Rc racing is all about having fun, specially at the club level you don't pay to race, you pay to have a few hours of fun running your car against your buddies, joking around in the pits, and time away from life. You can't put a price on that!!
Which sort of leads me back to the sponsored drivers in spec classes.

If you want to be a hardcore pro wannabe racer, fine, more power to ya, but in 21.5 / GT / VTA? Seriously?

As for the big $$ motor, You seen the price on these new Certified Plus Trinity things? $174.99 at A Main? I paid $66 USD for my motor, and if I lose a race I can guarantee you it won't be because of the motor, it'll be the mug behind the wheel.

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Which sort of leads me back to the sponsored drivers in spec classes.

If you want to be a hardcore pro wannabe racer, fine, more power to ya, but in 21.5 / GT / VTA? Seriously?

As for the big $$ motor, You seen the price on these new Certified Plus Trinity things? $174.99 at A Main? I paid $66 USD for my motor, and if I lose a race I can guarantee you it won't be because of the motor, it'll be the mug behind the wheel.
It's a competition.... some races have amateur only spec for that reason, but everywhere else why shouldn't they be allowed in?

I agree that motor prices are climbing beyond what I find is reasonable, but then again, if its THAT good, then it's worth the money.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #113
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
It's a competition.... some races have amateur only spec for that reason, but everywhere else why shouldn't they be allowed in?

I agree that motor prices are climbing beyond what I find is reasonable, but then again, if its THAT good, then it's worth the money.
Because if you're good enough to make yourself a circulating billboard / cash for comments, then you should be good enough to play with the big boys, not circulating / dominating the bottom feeders.

IMO, we started going downhill the minute we had team / supported drivers out of mod and in spec class, now it seems every man and his dog has a sponsor in 13.5 here, and in 21.5 (the slower class) it's starting to be the realm of sponsored drivers not quite good enough to get a podium in 13.5. Whats next? Sponsored drivers the junior class too? Exploit the kids for a few more sales? There needs to be a very clear cut line, if you want to be a sponsored driver, you stay in these classes and out of the ones like GT / VTA / 21.5

I do also note that by your signature R3volution you are sponsored? Not an entirely impartial opinion then?

Last edited by nexxus; 04-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The way I see it, if you're good enough to win at a big race in USGT / Stock, you have the skill to back it up. Sponsorship or no sponsorship it should not change the level of skill at the top.

Wanting less skilled drivers to win the slower spec classes is only going to slow the rest of the field down. Aim high.
speedxl likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Make the distinction between a club / amateur level class and a pro class. Do you see Tiger Woods competing in an amateur golf tournament? ANY level of financial backing whether it's below market rates on items, cash incentives, free items etc in exchange for favourable comments about a particular brand or store is indicative of sponsorship, and in many other sports when such a relationship exists you are no longer able to run in the lower level races. Why is it any different for rc cars?

Old 04-09-2017, 12:30 AM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Also agree that your not going to lose a race because of motor, scale spec racing at our clubs have very good talent at the top. Most of them race multiple classes (mod tc, stock tc, 1/12th, etc) what makes the spec classes so interesting to top drivers is those classes are driving and tuning that win the races, not just the motor.
jeff jenkins sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:30 AM   #117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

New rule fellas.. anyone faster than nexxus has to move up a class ! He is the Mendoza line and no exceptions will be made. It gets old seeing guys like you whine on here all the time while fast guys work on their cars. If your that unhappy with how you run get off your azz and go to work.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #118
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
New rule fellas.. anyone faster than nexxus has to move up a class ! He is the Mendoza line and no exceptions will be made. It gets old seeing guys like you whine on here all the time while fast guys work on their cars. If your that unhappy with how you run get off your azz and go to work.
...said another one with how many brands plastered all over their signature?

Seems the main people who take exception with my opinion are the sponsored drivers, which makes sense I guess.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:51 AM   #119
Tech Addict

Must be nice to have enough racers to even worry about splitting everyone up by whether they have some sort of sponsorship or not. Here in central Florida we seldom have enough to even have a decent club race.

Dave
gigaplex likes this.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:04 AM   #120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Amen !!!!