R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree120Likes

Old 04-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #76
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Meh then you could just call it vintage trans am racing. Be pretty cool IMO.

Relax. Lol. Just not into older muscle cars. I like older Japanese classics.

I bet you like passing kidney stones too. How about the smell of burnt rice? Fart cannons? Triple stacked venetian blind rear wings?

Just funnin.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
When you have a Motiv 21.5 and you can't get a TSR!
I have 3 I don't understand how people can't get them just order and wait if you are waiting for it to be "in stock" then I guess you won't get one because the backorders
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx View Post
I have 3 I don't understand how people can't get them just order and wait if you are waiting for it to be "in stock" then I guess you won't get one because the backorders
Their website doesn't appear to cater for international shipping, so I'm guessing your question assumes North America only. 21.5 is used in other countries too.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
I bet you like passing kidney stones too. How about the smell of burnt rice? Fart cannons? Triple stacked venetian blind rear wings?

Just funnin.

Lol in real life I drive German cars. Go figure.
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #80
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Lol in real life I drive German cars. Go figure.
Familiar with the saying Audi's don't leak oil. They just mark their territory.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys please cool down. No need to fight on the internet.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #82
Tech Regular

Fight? We are just exchanging automotive axioms. You know, FORD= found on road dead, FIAT= fix it again tony, etc.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #83
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thankyou to the guys who replied with some useful insight into 21.5 and where it is at today. I'm not sure where the VTA and random euro car trash talk came from
PaulC83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #84
Tech Champion

It's RC Tech. We fight about everything (except politics!) It keeps Marcos busy.

Triple stacked venetian blind rear wing. How did I miss that?
Marcos.J likes this.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #85
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC83 View Post
Thankyou to the guys who replied with some useful insight into 21.5 and where it is at today. I'm not sure where the VTA and random euro car trash talk came from
Euro trash? Did anybody mention Citroen, Renualt or Airbus?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Quote:
When you have a Motiv 21.5 and you can't get a TSR!
Laying faster lap times with motiv mc2 than champion car at the nats was with ts.
But I just gt ts in mail today

Both motors are insanely powerful with different
Power-bands Both super high quality. One is 35 dollars cheaper

As for the problem with spec ...

Roars allows the price of a motor to be 149-150max
So if I had a company I'd charge that especially since guys would buy them

The resistance factor. I dunno....

Here's some fuel for the fire
I built two cars for my friends sons with hobbywing 3650 spec 17.5 motor speedo combo. About 80 bucks
I ordered two integy nanotech batteries at 41dollars a pack

They cycled at .9 -1.0

I also bought 49 dollar 6000 from Smc that cycle the same

Yet there are companies Selling batteries at double that with less performance

Me. Imo. Spec lock timing motor ...no rotor tuning no hand wound whatever

If anything a little slower but honestly the slower it gets the closer the races are
And consistency shines

Just imo what I'm seeing

21.5 is as fast as tc with the right driver. If anything .2- .3 tenths off
JRnotEwing likes this.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #87
Tech Champion

I was going by what I heard from many other racers. When you're on a budget and you lay out the money for the latest motor, only to have a new motor come out as soon as you get it, and then there's a run on that company so you can't get one, even if you had the money, that gets frustrating. That and it was a joke response to someone else's joke response.

You, on the other hand, can make anything fast. Your setup skills and driving skills are better than 95% of the drivers at any track you go to. And you're willing to share your knowledge, which makes it better for everyone else.

There are no absolutes. You can't go rule A, B, and C and have it fit everyone. People have different reasons for racing. The idea is to get as many people out to race as possible.
liljohn1064 likes this.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Quote:
I was going by what I heard from many other racers. When you're on a budget and you lay out the money for the latest motor, only to have a new motor come out as soon as you get it, and then there's a run on that company so you can't get one, even if you had the money, that gets frustrating. That and it was a joke response to someone else's joke response.

You, on the other hand, can make anything fast. Your setup skills and driving skills are better than 95% of the drivers at any track you go to. And you're willing to share your knowledge, which makes it better for everyone else.

There are no absolutes. You can't go rule A, B, and C and have it fit everyone. People have different reasons for racing. The idea is to get as many people out to race as possible.
Jim. The problem with most of your replys is your not really running at all and your a little out of touch with what's happening at track this is why guys like to attack you .... Also cause of your douche like way of runnin tech years ago ... You created that label ...

As for racing the battery thing is pretty much the same. We were dead shorting years ago fighting for low resistance pack

Now we are doing same. Just dumping and pumping while still lookin for low or packs

As for goin fast
Here's a few examples
I see Mike Haynes
Mike Hanulec
Donny Lia cars go around track
They all get pulled on straight but there cars never slow down in corners
That's a fact
I seen Andrew I apps car at nats by no means the fastest
But insane through corners
All of these guys are deadly consistent
Maybe not Hanulec. Lol. No. But. The thing I'm saying is chassis focus is huge part of makin any motor work
And consistency

It only takes one blown corner to ruin a tq
Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #89
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

I'd agree with that, I think the chassis plays a massive part, I used to run Xray, T4 15, 16, whatever and I was competitive but never a podium threat. I think I ran in the high 19 second lap times, on a punt I picked up a used Awesomatix A700 at a good price, and tried that, it was a bloody steep learning curve, and frustrating at times because I tried to shortcut the process, but first race, I actually lead before I had a failure (my own fault), I persisted, tried the A800 moved to that etc (My rc budget is $40 a fortnight, I have to buy and sell a bit and make $20 here and $30 to supplement that) but lately I've been on the podium, even winning a few. This is in 21.5 Blinky against drivers many are better than me, I still find it amusing that people assume the guy who wins has the fast motor. Chassis is the biggest determining factor, you can slam the latest and greatest in a TT-01 and even if you could gear it right I doubt you'll win much. So to attack motors as the determining factor as to why 21.5 may or may not seem fair? To impose controls on motors etc? It's a kneejerk reaction usually suggested by people who don't even race the class. Look at your new breed of cars with a super low centre of gravity, the Serpent 4X, the A800/A800X/A700 etc, now compare it to cars which still use the standard shock / tower set up (T4, BD7 etc) There is where your differences lie. If I were to throw my electrics set up in a BD7 / T4 / Destiny or whatever the latest 'traditional' TC is, I wouldn't trouble the podium, so it's not my motor thats making me more or less competitive than the next guy. Also look at other factors, bearings? You know those things we put in when we build a car then tend to forget? The less drag on a car the less resistance the less work the motor has to do so the higher top speed. Both my cars have Ceramic bearings, which are cleaned and reoiled every 6-8 weeks or so. Overkill? Maybe. But it costs me nothing to do it besides a little bit of time. We're just conditioned to look at the motor first to rationalise why someone is quicker than we are.

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

Last edited by nexxus; 04-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.
nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Guys, this is (mostly) a US forum... but there's still a few europeans here.

As mentionned by VikingRC above, we are looking at this whole thing in disbelief... in Europe, the slowest class is 13.5T. There are no "slower" classes... they just don't exist. No 17.5's. No 21.5's. No 25.5's. None of this stuff. Slowest is 13.5 blinky.

What is so peculiar about American RC-ness that there's this multitude of categories that are playing in the "slow" segment?

In the past, 27x1 was the slow class (and it was suffering from the same issues you all are complaining about above, motor of the week thing, high-Amp chargers, expensive 1-run brushes, overheating, etc... - but this is not the point). 13.5 blinky is a bit faster than 27x1 from what I can feel, but not THAT much faster - feels more like 19turn to me (13.5T boosted feels like a good freshly cut 12x2 or 11x2 on top-notch batteries - I think it's the sweet spot btw!).

Why is it that everyone in the US wants to run SLOWER than the SLOWEST classes from the noughties? There was almost no silver-can races 15yrs ago, outside of the tamiya cup and some junior club-racing local efforts... what are we missing here in Europe? Why the dog-slow classes, what's their unstoppable appeal?!?
VikingRC likes this.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote