Wiki Posts
Search

Budgeting for your hobby

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Budgeting for your hobby

Do any of you have a budget for your R/C hobby? Or do you just spend until there's nothing left? Do you buy cash or max out your credit cards? Do you save a few bucks each week to buy what you need? Do you factor in the cost of one or two or more major events? Do you buy everything you think you need at the beginning of a racing season (packs, tires, bodies, spare parts) and that's it?.... You don't spend another dime until next season?

If you budget for R/C, explain how you do it.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

All good questions. I have been out of the hobby for 3 years and finally getting back to it again.

I know this is an expensive hobby and as much as I want to buy the latest and greatest, I think its all up to the driver, but then again having some competitive equipment will help in the long run.

I do plan to race, but I need a lot of practice so I decided to splurge on good Powersupply and charger. All the other things I bought used, even the car I bought used.

As for budget, I just make sure I dont spend more than I can afford. NO I dont max out my credit cards. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Budget? You gotta be kiddin'!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Get to know WDK money...Wife Don't Know. It will help you stay more active in the hobby longer
Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
Budget? You gotta be kiddin'!
No I'm not kidding. Some have less money than others. Or some have more obligations like kids, mortgage. So there are people that have to calculate how much they can spend on a hobby. I'm curious to know how the people that DO budget for this hobby do it, what do they factor into their budget regarding all that is necessary to run a complete race season.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Get to know WDK money...Wife Don't Know. It will help you stay more active in the hobby longer
I got to know WDK once... Then I got to know WFOAL... Wife Found Out And Left.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I allow myself to buy something major every quarter like a charger radio etc... I only buy a new car if I can sell an old one or two and come up with the money except for the one new one I allow myself per year. As far as batteries, motors, tires and parts I just buy what I need if I can afford it. I don't use credit cards for my hobbies anymore my Jeep killed that one. My wife and I allow each other to spend 100 dollars a month on our hobbies hers being clothes and mine being RC, but as I'm sure you all know 100 bucks doesn't go very far so thats where the fact that I take care of the finances and the WDK money comes into effect
Old 01-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What's a budget??

Later EddieO
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Around here it's MDK...Momma Don't Know!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I spend what I can afford, nothing goes on a credit card, if I can't afford it, then tought titties dude.... but then I did blow about £3000 getting back into the game with cars, motors, cells, electrics, tools stuff like that, when you have raced before and come back, it is almost impossible to settle for budget stuff.

Budget = How much spare cash I have out of the overal budget against what I NEED.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

I see that a lot of women are clueless about how much can be spent on this hobby
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok how about this. What does everyone see as their number one budget BUSTER? Not including race and practice fees!
For me it has to be the cost of my sons tires.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Burning up motors kinda hurts when you are running nitro. For electric it seems for me getting all of the tools initially has been more expensive than the car itself. Charger, 0-30, power supply, still dont have a comm lathe, and I had to get all of the SAE drivers since everything on my Mugen is metric. It has cost me a lot more to get into than I thought initially. My son hooking up the battery backwards to my QC2 didnt help either. It is nice that by running 4 cell I can get a top of the line pack for 40-45 bucks from Br00d! That is nice. But as far as budget, I spend what I can. If I had more money, I would just spend that too.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

As my wife calls it, it's "creative financing". Get to keep 1/4 of whatever overtime I tell her I did. Brown bagging, sneaking a 20 or soon here or there, selling old cars/parts, etc. No real budget, it's whatever I can get away with.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GroffBall
I allow myself to buy something major every quarter like a charger radio etc... I only buy a new car if I can sell an old one or two and come up with the money except for the one new one I allow myself per year. As far as batteries, motors, tires and parts I just buy what I need if I can afford it. I don't use credit cards for my hobbies anymore my Jeep killed that one. My wife and I allow each other to spend 100 dollars a month on our hobbies hers being clothes and mine being RC, but as I'm sure you all know 100 bucks doesn't go very far so thats where the fact that I take care of the finances and the WDK money comes into effect
Thats a pretty accurate assessment on my situation also. Its seems at the end of each pay period, a small amount of money goes missing, and its usually just after i arrive home from the LHS lol. I think the hardest thing in this sport is knowing about a huge event, and not being able to afford to go. I think all the good gear can be saved for etc, but the cost of flights, accomodation, its hard work. Now if theres a sponsor out there who would like to pay for my travel expenses, please pm me lol.

One rule ive started to follow, never look back. never try to remember how much you spent on this and that. You will make yourself miserable. I dont help the situation, when not only do i love to race, i love to race ALL classes possible, and i also love to collect RC. So the current garage is around 30 cars, most vintage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.