R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default I'm confused TT02 brushless

Hi

I have a TT02 and have just switched to a brushless motor. I am running a Speed Passion 10.5T motor on the standard Tamiya TBLE-02s esc. I have upgraded the spur gear to the Tamiya high speed spur, but have kept the pinion that came with the car. My battery is a Overlander 3300Mah 7.2V Nimh.

I also have a Tamiya Grasshopper running standard gearing and a Tamiya sport tuned brushed motor on the same esc and battery.

In a drag race both seem to accelerate almost identically and then the TT02 only slowly pulls away after about 30 yards, but does't look much faster.

Does this sound right? Was I expecting too much by switching to brushless? or do I need to upgrade my esc and/or battery?

Or have I installed it incorrectly? I have connected the sensor wire and soldered the blue to A. The Yellow to B and the Orange to C.

Also if its relevant; if i turn the prop shaft by hand the motor jolts (I'm guessing between magnets). It also seems to do this at very slow speeds (As in 1 revolution a second speeds).

As you can probably tell I am new to the rc world and don't know a fat lot.
pope2141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)

Sounds like you have it all connected right. The TT02 sedan has very limited gearing options and that ESC is average at best. You could swap out the sensor board on the SP brushless motor to advance the timing, but that means you need to buy a new timing board. SP sell several options, but all are sold separately and require some motor disassembly to install.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nerobro

Wooah.

That ESC doesn't want anything more than a 17.5 motor.

The battery is questionable, it's both "fairly low voltage" and high internal resistance in comparison to modern lipo packs.

IIRC the gearing on the TT02 is much steeper than the Grasshopper. also, the pinion on the tt02 is ... probally far to small. with a 13.5 motor in my TT02b, i'm running a 19tooth pinion, and that's far to small, even including the larger diameter tires.

Yes, the motor cogging is normal.

IF you want the car faster, you need higher turn motor, bigger pinion, (think 25 tooth, maybe bigger..) and ideally a better battery. OR, if you want to keep the motor, you need a new ESC and a bigger pinion.
Nerobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
Wooah.

That ESC doesn't want anything more than a 17.5 motor.

The battery is questionable, it's both "fairly low voltage" and high internal resistance in comparison to modern lipo packs.

IIRC the gearing on the TT02 is much steeper than the Grasshopper. also, the pinion on the tt02 is ... probally far to small. with a 13.5 motor in my TT02b, i'm running a 19tooth pinion, and that's far to small, even including the larger diameter tires.

Yes, the motor cogging is normal.

IF you want the car faster, you need higher turn motor, bigger pinion, (think 25 tooth, maybe bigger..) and ideally a better battery. OR, if you want to keep the motor, you need a new ESC and a bigger pinion.

Thank you.

i have bigger pinion on the way so that should help.

As for the esc. I am on a budget and pretty tight . Out of these esc's which would you think give the motor the kick it deserves?

HobbyWing QuicRun 1/10 Brushless Sensored 60A ESC 10BL60. (Ebay item 131527404040)

or

SKYRC Toro 8S 150A Brushless Sensor ESC 1:8 RC Cars Touring Buggy #SK-300055-01 (ebay item 381565801340)

Or

SKYRC Aluminum TORO TS120A Brushless Sensored ESC RC Cars Black #SK-300044-01 (Ebay item 141995736866)

or

Yeah Racing Hacktronic-T Touring Turbo 120A Brushless Sensored ESC Car #HTN-E01 (Ebay item 380865238233)

As i said the cheaper the better.

With any of these what lipo would you recommend (remembering my tightness)

I was thinking one of these;

Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 7.4V 60C

Thank you once again
pope2141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

I don't think you can go wrong with the Hobbywing ESC. I use a Justock for VTA racing and on 17.5 TC. However, the Tamiya USA website says the ESC is rated for a 10.5T motor for on road.

The 10.5 will like a final drive in the mid 5s, I think. The lower the turns, the higher the FDR, but the stock and even high speed gear set gearing is ridiculously high.

I think the largest pinion you can get from Tamiya is a 30 tooth in the stock pitch (at least that is the biggest I have found). With the 68 tooth spur, that should get you around 5.89 FDR. Which should be a good start. Run it and check you temps. As long as your motor and ESC stay under 150 degrees, you should be fine. A motor fan isn't a bad idea.

You don't necessarily have to buy a different battery, but it could limit you in acceleration and run time. I would start with the pinion and see how it goes.

Its up to you what you want to do on the ESC. You are on the edge of what the TBLE-02 can handle motor wise, so you could run the risk of burning it out, but the Hobbywing is a similarly rated 60A ESC and it says it will work down to 8.5T.

Good Luck
0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think your bottleneck is that ESC. The TBLE-02s is a very sub-par esc. When I swapped it out for my Trackstar, there was an immediate and noticeable increase in overall performance of my motor.

Here's the ESC I recommend on a budget:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

I used this for my first racing season and it served me well. It's also rated to work well with motors down to 10.5t.

Edit: I just looked through your list, and for that pricepoint, you could step up to the 120A Trackstar:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tracksta...0a-esc-v2.html

That Hobbywing is good, but I don't like to go under 80A, esp with such a low turn motor.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Keep the esc and upgrade the battery to a good Lipo.

The battery is your biggest issue.

I ran the same esc on a tekin 9.5t and it lasted a year.

You already got the pinion so should be good to go. Just watch the time as that esc is meant for life packs so no low voltage cutoff
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote