Search
Like Tree6Likes

Capricorn Touring Car Ride Height Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Capricorn Touring Car Ride Height Help

Been away from touring cars for a few years and come back to buy a used Capricorn TE04 MDM and for the life of me I can’t adjust the ride height lol.

adjusting the shocks preload doesn’t do anything, I don’t think shims are the answer. The only way to get any adjustment is the grub to adjust the droop, but then have no suspension travel.

Capricorn are one of the top chassis manufacturers, I know there’s a way to adjust it out of the box without having to buy these height adjuster sets for the shocks :/ Capricorn website

any help? And I’ve tried this with shocks, bars and everything at the correct length by the manual

Old 12-23-2023, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The threaded collar on the shocks are your ride height adjustment. The collars you linked to are body height adjusters and they go on the body mount posts only.

Some suggestions -
Back off the droop screws so they don't touch the chassis when checking ride height.
You need some weight on the chassis - battery, motor, servo, etc.
You don't say if you need to go up or down, but the shock collars are really low, they look like they should be screwed up closer to the top of the shocks. It is possible the springs are too short - later touring cars use shorter shocks and springs.

Hope that helps
ry_100 likes this.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

cut the huge foam tires down to size
Old 12-24-2023, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01
The threaded collar on the shocks are your ride height adjustment. The collars you linked to are body height adjusters and they go on the body mount posts only.

Some suggestions -
Back off the droop screws so they don't touch the chassis when checking ride height.
You need some weight on the chassis - battery, motor, servo, etc.
You don't say if you need to go up or down, but the shock collars are really low, they look like they should be screwed up closer to the top of the shocks. It is possible the springs are too short - later touring cars use shorter shocks and springs.

Hope that helps
appreciate the response. Yeah I’ve moved the collars all the way up and all the way down and it makes no difference. Maybe I’ll rebuild the shocks and see if that does anything. Thanks
Old 12-24-2023, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ry_100
appreciate the response. Yeah I’ve moved the collars all the way up and all the way down and it makes no difference. Maybe I’ll rebuild the shocks and see if that does anything. Thanks
Are you sure you have the proper springs in there?
glennhl likes this.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ry_100
if you’ve gone all the way up and all the way down and there’s no change then there’s something terribly wrong. Back off the droop screws and see if you can now adjust ride height.
glennhl likes this.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:23 AM
Tech Addict

As others have said, back the droop screws off (use the values in the setup sheet in the manual). Screw the spring collars almost all the way to the top of the shocks. Install the electrics and a battery. Now check the ride height, keeping in mind the car is designed for rubber tyres, which are about 63mm diameter. If your foam tyres are bigger than that, it will impact your ride height.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Aren't most foam tires a lot smaller in diameter compared to premount rubber tires? That probably explains his problem.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Regardless of tire size, the ride height should at least change, even if it does not get where you want it to be. If it doesn't even change at all, it's probably not tire size but something else wrong.
glennhl likes this.
Old 12-25-2023, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by malkiy
Aren't most foam tires a lot smaller in diameter compared to premount rubber tires? That probably explains his problem.
Not if they're 1/10 nitro tyres, which are normally a bit bigger. But you're right, if they are small, then the shock length could be maxxed out. We need more info from ry_100.

Last edited by Scott_T; 12-25-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

It’s so strange never seen anything like it. I already had the grub screw for droop away from the chassis so that’s out of the equation. The springs looks to be as standard from Capricorn too. I can only assume there’s a fault somewhere else in the shocks
Old 12-26-2023, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Shock total length might be too small. Hopefully the piston is not stuck inside too. Unscrew the bottom eyelet a bit to see if the rideheight goes up. It will allow the spring to lengthen a bit and raise the car from the ground: your springs should spin by hand easily when the tires are off the ground. If not, the shock total length is too small....
jo_er86 likes this.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Shock total length might be too small. Hopefully the piston is not stuck inside too. Unscrew the bottom eyelet a bit to see if the rideheight goes up. It will allow the spring to lengthen a bit and raise the car from the ground: your springs should spin by hand easily when the tires are off the ground. If not, the shock total length is too small....

Manual calls for 12.5mm rod gap between shock body and ballcup. Encountered similar with the Sakura 20M when manual states to leave an extra 1mm. Overlooked that and couldn’t get my ride height higher than 5.2mm.
bertrandsv87 likes this.
Old 12-27-2023, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

Guys, again, the OP didn't complain that he just couldn't get ride height to the value he wanted, he claimed that he cannot make it to change at all. He also said in his fist post that he checked and all lengths were according to manual.

ry_100 do the shock pistons/rods actually move into the shock bodies when you push on the car? When you press on the car by hand, can you get it to bottom out (or close to)? Or does it stay up where it is all the time?
Old 12-27-2023, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Take the springs off ..... whats it do?
She should drop to the table surface.

What ride height are you at now? What are you trying to achieve?
What spring rates are you using? If its an older foam car or has foam era springs then they are totally too stiff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.