R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Which Car for USGT

Hi Friends,

A few friends and I are looking to get in to the USGT class at our local track. My understanding is its scale bodies 190mm and spec tires and of course the 21.5T motors.

Which of the following kits would you recommend?

1) BSR BT-4 - $120, kit version. Belt driven.

2) Sakura of some sort, if this option, which one?

3) Tamiya's TT02 - I see these as low as $90-100 in kit version, which one?

4) Team Associated TC4 Club Racer - this is RTR, shaft driven, but we would add our own electronics.

Any other recommendations?

Thank You

PS: Track is outdoor, asphalt and fairly large.
CaptSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)

I am running a TC3 chassis that started out as a RTR kit. I removed the included stock electronics and replaced with my Airtronics MX-v radio, a Hobbywing XR10 Justock ESC, Hobbywing V10 G2 21.5 motor and added a front spool in place of the ball diff and my car is extremely competitive.

Those others are nice too, and the BT-4 is really a Team C 4wd chassis re-badged by HK.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Our USGT is extremely competitive. Have to have one of the top rated cars (TC7.1, 2016/17 Xray, BD7/BD8) to be competitive.
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

This is the track...

OUR ON ROAD TRACK

Current winners are normally driving Serpents, X-Rays and Yokomos. However this thread is targetted towards 3 new drivers, hence the entry level cars as options only. I'm sure we'll upgrade later if we stick around.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hey CaptSlow,

Outdoor track the "tub" chassis cars would be good because you wouldn't care about the bottom of the chassis getting all scratched up. However, if it is a "Large" track... the belt-driven TC's may have an advantage.

Maybe if you all can make a spec chassis (since you all are just starting the class) so it levels the playing field. The BSR is a good choice - but parts availability could be an issue, so I would investigate that before committing to that one. If your LHS has access to one in particular then that's the one I would go with. TC4 parts are readily available and mostly cheap, but so is the Sakura...

Good luck and have fun!!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow View Post
This is the track...

OUR ON ROAD TRACK

Current winners are normally driving Serpents, X-Rays and Yokomos. However this thread is targetted towards 3 new drivers, hence the entry level cars as options only. I'm sure we'll upgrade later if we stick around.

DANG! That looks like an 1/8 nitro track.

I would definitely go with a belt drive car. How long is that straight??
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Looks like you have had some earthquake damage - I see 4 lawn chairs knocked over! Hahaha
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If cost is what is the deciding factor the schumacher Mi1v2 is a good option. Belt drive, a modern narrow chassis and plenty of upgrades if you so desire.
aracefan likes this.
qcrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow View Post
This is the track...

OUR ON ROAD TRACK

WHAT A TRACK! Color me green with envy.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Tech Master

Buy an Used slightly older Xray, Associated or other Top of the line TC. They will work better then the ones you have listed and you could probably find people at the track that can help you get the setup. Having good parts support and help making it easier to drive is way more important then being the right price. If your new and you break and can't get parts, your not going to be happy with the hobby, if you can't get it setup to where the car drives easier, you not going to be happy. Try and find an older used model of what is popular at the track, believe me you will be happier.
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

So I should clarify a few things...

- We are not starting a class. We already have a reasonable group of 9-12 folks driving everything from Serpent, Yokomo, X-Ray and even a BT4 already. I and two other friends are looking to run with these guys in USGT and understand we will be slow at first. That's part of the learning curve... We just figured we'd try with an entry level TC and see if we like it enough, we are all doing 1/8 OffRoad as well so there's budget constraints for some of us.

- The track is huge. The straight is so long that I'm maxed out with my 21.5T Hobbywing motor before I even get to the 25th % of the straight . Its a nice facility.

- I was also told the BT4 shares parts with Xrays T4 series.

- To get the Tamiya TT02 up to speed, will it take a lot of hop ups?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Buy an Used slightly older Xray, Associated or other Top of the line TC. They will work better then the ones you have listed and you could probably find people at the track that can help you get the setup. Having good parts support and help making it easier to drive is way more important then being the right price. If your new and you break and can't get parts, your not going to be happy with the hobby, if you can't get it setup to where the car drives easier, you not going to be happy. Try and find an older used model of what is popular at the track, believe me you will be happier.
I do have an option to buy a 2015 X-Ray T4 roller for roughly $200. However I don't want to leave the other two guys hanging - so the goal is for all 3 of us to run the same car, for part's sake.

Unless of course the T4 and BT4 parts are interchangable.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Outstanding advice!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I recommend you buying a used car from one of the fastest drivers at the track you are going to race at. Most fast guys replace there cars regularly. That way your car would have a setup that would be in the ball park if it is possible. Also you would have someone that would be able to give you setup advise. I recommend buying the best car you can x-ray Yokomo BD7 or 8, if you have large appendages Awesomatix A800
This is our track it is a very nice track.
[YOUTUBE] https://youtu.be/1sfORG5z_bk
[/YOUTUBE]

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
Tech Adept

The BT-4 has a lot of inter changeable parts with the XRay T4. I have two BT-4 that I have converted to the TC10 with the hop up alum parts because I run them on the crc black fastrac carpet in the 25.5 VTA class and the 17.5TC class and they are very competitive.
Fatboys124 likes this.

Team C Racing USA, TC10 2015
Ho-B Max RC Park
massenb203 is offline   Reply With Quote